3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Fit LX CVT mini-review

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2014, 07:42 AM
Fit LX CVT mini-review

While not a fit owner myself (yet) I have at this point convinced two of my friends to buy fits because I think they're one of the best value cars in America right now.

Well one friend just picked up her new '15 LX CVT in silver and I was able to drive it around a bit and wanted to share my thoughts with you guys. On what's changed from the previous models.

The good:
CVT is silky smooth. It's surprisingly good and provides more of a feeling of "thrust" than acceleration. Engine is a bit buzzy with the CVT, but the little honda 1.5l seems so happy to rev, it really doesn't bug me.

Speaking of the engine, it's as adequate as ever and while not fast compared to my Mustang GT, it does manage to be fun to rev out.

Physical volume knob! Nuff said.

Connectivity is great! My friend reports loving the bluetooth and talks all the time. So I think we can call it responsive and user friendly.

Trip computer reports 38.7 MPG after 2 fillups with mixed driving and AC blasting in the Georgia sun.

The not so good:
The suspension is far too compliant in my eyes. Yes I know this is subjective, but the older Fit Sports were SO MUCH FUN to drive. They felt planted and like little go-karts. They felt like someone who really cares about the way cars handle designed the suspension. The newer model goes for mass market appeal on this point and while not un-fun to drive, the suspension setup doesn't add to the experience like it did in older fit sports. This new model is much less likely to make you go, "WEEEE!" while driving.

What the hell was Honda thinking with the armrests? The old fit had soft-touch fabric on the door armrest, perfectly positioned and a fabulous minivan-style armrest for the driver with no armrest of the passenger to remind them to go buy their own damn car. This was one of the most comfortable driving positions out there. Move to the new car and the door panel armrest is made out of hard plastic, but wait, it gets better. This hard plastic has a little pattern molded into it, so not only is it hard, it's abrasive too! What about the center console? Well it's about 3 inches too short (and I'm a guy with long arms and the seat all the way down). And although it's covered with fabric and a bit of padding, it also manages to be exceedingly hard.

CVT is a CVT. Constantly variable? sure. constant friction wear? yep? will it last 200,000 miles consistently? We will just have to wait and see.

Made in mexico. Some people wont care. I do.

Final Thoughts
I still think the Fit is the best value car in america and I will continue forcing my friends to at least test drive one prior to buying any new or used car. But this new Fit has definitely lost some of the magic of the outgoing model and it makes me very sad indeed.

Old 07-20-2014, 09:23 AM
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by NotBlake
.......one friend just picked up her new '15 LX CVT in silver and I was able to drive it... share my thoughts.
The good: ............
The not so good:
The suspension is far too compliant in my eyes......this is subjective,.older Fit Sports were SO MUCH FUN to drive......planted ........new model is much less likely to make you go, "WEEEE!" while driving.

What the hell was Honda thinking with the armrests?.........

CVT..........have to wait and see.

Made in mexico....................
Another review which says a lot!!! Kudos for taking the effort to post your impressions.

Similarly, found the suspension on the EX CVT I test drove to be less appealing in the "go-kart" likeness category. On the plus side, its ability to soak up road undulations at higher speed didn't make the rear jump around as much as my previous GD.

You and many of us have the same observation about that armrest. No fear, Kelly is currently undergoing her R&D to come up with a solution. Once she's done, will be the first to put it to a long term test.

As for MDM, time will tell. All that can be said for now is: "at least it ain't from PROC".

Best value - all around? Probably, but your gonna get some who will see it very differently. Best value in the sub-compact category - undeniable!!!

Old 07-20-2014, 09:29 AM
Thanks for the review. I'm sure this information, along with other posts, will help someone decide on their next vehicle purchase.

Old 07-20-2014, 11:50 AM
5 Year Member
Can't remember where i read it, but it basically said that Honda found that it's only a few that like a sport feel. Most don't want to feel pumps. Maybe I can take a bit stiffer suspension but then again I don't push it to the max much and yet I do have some fun with it too at times. I'm easy to please just with the simple M/T shifting.

Anyway, it sounds like you're happy overall and you're on the right forum with happy Fit people.

Old 07-20-2014, 12:37 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks

I was kinda biting my nails on what you thought the cons where. I can deal with not having armrests. Probably because I wasn't accustomed to having it on a previous Fit to compare too. I have two old school Subarus that I love with no armrest so I don't miss what I never had.

As for the compliant ride. EXCELLENT! Because I am installing smaller 14" wheels on with less sidewall than stock. This should bring the suspension right where it needs to be as far as feel.

Last edited by Myxalplyx; 07-20-2014 at 04:14 PM.
Old 07-20-2014, 03:26 PM
Thanks for the review! It's great for those of us starved for info!

I can agree with Myxalplyx about armrests. I've never had a center armrest in a car and I'm not sure I want something that might get in the way if I need to handle the steering wheel quickly. For those who find the center armrest too low you can at least add a pad!

Old 07-20-2014, 05:11 PM
5 Year Member
Good info. Thanks for taking the time to post your thoughts!

Old 07-21-2014, 12:23 AM
Hey there, thanks for the review. I am really thing about a LX CVT. physical volume knob ftw! The extra rated mileage helps too!

Do you have any experience in this question I asked in another thread posted here:
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-...or-lx-cvt.html

Thanks in advance!

Old 07-21-2014, 12:47 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Myxalplyx
I was kinda biting my nails on what you thought the cons where. I can deal with not having armrests. Probably because I wasn't accustomed to having it on a previous Fit to compare too. I have two old school Subarus that I love with no armrest so I don't miss what I never had.

As for the compliant ride. EXCELLENT! Because I am installing smaller 14" wheels on with less sidewall than stock. This should bring the suspension right where it needs to be as far as feel.
What? So you're going to make the ride squishier? Car will feel like its rolling for days on turn-in.

Old 07-21-2014, 03:40 PM
Originally Posted by mike410b
What? So you're going to make the ride squishier? Car will feel like its rolling for days on turn-in.
Not everyone lives for track days!

Taller sidewalls mean softer ride, less chance of curb damage, and less chance of rim/tire damage if you hit a rock.

Good handling doesn't always require rubber-band tires. Even F1 cars run on 13" rims and tall sidewalls!

Old 07-21-2014, 06:41 PM
5 Year Member
No, the ride will be firmer. My speedo will be off due to the overall diameter being smaller. So if it's squishy to began with, the smaller overall wheel diameter should help stiffen it up a bit. We'll see either way.

Old 07-22-2014, 01:00 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GeorgeL
Not everyone lives for track days!

Taller sidewalls mean softer ride, less chance of curb damage, and less chance of rim/tire damage if you hit a rock.

Good handling doesn't always require rubber-band tires. Even F1 cars run on 13" rims and tall sidewalls!
F1 cars run 13's because that is what is mandated for the series. In addition, the sidewall of the tire acts as another suspension component, lending compliance to the car in spite of the hyper stiff spring rates.

F1 cars =! Mac Strut/Beam axle economy cars.

You also seem to be misreading his post and my reply.

No, the ride will be firmer. My speedo will be off due to the overall diameter being smaller. So if it's squishy to began with, the smaller overall wheel diameter should help stiffen it up a bit. We'll see either way.
What? Stock 15's have 60 or 65 series sidewalls, are you intending on running something smaller than that on 14's?

Old 07-22-2014, 01:13 AM
5 Year Member
What? Stock 15's have 60 or 65 series sidewalls, are you intending on running something smaller than that on 14's?
Stock LX: 185/60-15

I will be running 185/60-14

The sidewall is exactly the same but the diameter is smaller (23.7" vs 22.7"). I notice when I did this on my other vehicles, the ride became harsher/firmer. So I'd expect the same here. Expect is the key word. I won't know until they are installed. Then I can report. Not concerned on whether it's stiffer or softer either way.

Last edited by Myxalplyx; 07-22-2014 at 01:16 AM.
Old 07-22-2014, 12:46 PM
5 Year Member
Hi NotBlake,
Did you get a chance to test drive EX and see how it drives compared to LX. EX comes with H/sports rated tires which should have stiffer and low profile side wall. EX might be much closer to previous Sport version in terms of handling.
Thanks

Old 08-27-2014, 01:17 PM

DUDE.

Old 08-27-2014, 01:18 PM
NotBlake - Can you share how many miles those cars have on them? I posted yesterday, or so, about trading in my Fit Sport for the Accord CVT, and it wasn't until close to 4000K miles that the CVT started acting up. I just came on to let people know that just a test drive might not cut it.

Old 08-27-2014, 03:04 PM
5 Year Member
What a weird positioning Honda gave the center console/driver's armrest in the '15 Fit. Reading drivers' complaints about it here and looking at the interior 360-degree view on Honda's official site, I can see how it would be a major irritant. Who has arms that long, after all, as one poster here pointed out?

I had an '03 CR-V bought new, and as I recall, it didn't have a driver's side armrest, either--or the one it did have was sufficiently awkwardly positioned as to be useless.

So I bought a tan combination armrest/console that Honda sold as an accessory for the Element but that I got confirmation from my local dealer would also fit the CR-V. I didn't care that the tan didn't match the black cloth seats. My comfort trumped color coordination.

Then I bought an '06 CR-V, again with either an awkwardly positioned or nonexistent driver's right-side armrest, so I had the dealer take the Element console/armrest out of my '03 and put it in the '06 (with the bonus of its now matching the '06's tan cloth seats).

The '12 CR-V I have now has a stock driver's side armrest that sits well above the center console but is positioned comfortably.

Though the Element has been discontinued, I wonder if Honda still sells console/armrests for other models that will fit on the Fit.

This would seem like a pretty big deal for me, especially on long highway drives.

Old 08-27-2014, 03:17 PM
5 Year Member
I just looked at the interior accessories offered by Honda at its e-store:

Honda online store: You are shopping for 2014 Honda Accessories

I checked for various vehicles, including the '15 Fit, the '14 CR-V, the '14 Civic, and the '14 Pilot, and didn't see any console/armrests or plain armrests.

Too bad. The console/armrest that comes with the '15 Fit looks as if it would be fine for the purpose if only you could adjust its height; seems as if you would want to raise it about six or eight inches for most people.

Honda's vehicles are generally very ergonomically sound. But the company does seem to have a blind spot for armrests.

Old 08-27-2014, 03:27 PM
Originally Posted by NotBlake
While not a fit owner myself (yet) I have at this point convinced two of my friends to buy fits because I think they're one of the best value cars in America right now.

Well one friend just picked up her new '15 LX CVT in silver and I was able to drive it around a bit and wanted to share my thoughts with you guys. On what's changed from the previous models.

The good:
CVT is silky smooth. It's surprisingly good and provides more of a feeling of "thrust" than acceleration. Engine is a bit buzzy with the CVT, but the little honda 1.5l seems so happy to rev, it really doesn't bug me.

Speaking of the engine, it's as adequate as ever and while not fast compared to my Mustang GT, it does manage to be fun to rev out.

Physical volume knob! Nuff said.

Connectivity is great! My friend reports loving the bluetooth and talks all the time. So I think we can call it responsive and user friendly.

Trip computer reports 38.7 MPG after 2 fillups with mixed driving and AC blasting in the Georgia sun.

The not so good:
The suspension is far too compliant in my eyes. Yes I know this is subjective, but the older Fit Sports were SO MUCH FUN to drive. They felt planted and like little go-karts. They felt like someone who really cares about the way cars handle designed the suspension. The newer model goes for mass market appeal on this point and while not un-fun to drive, the suspension setup doesn't add to the experience like it did in older fit sports. This new model is much less likely to make you go, "WEEEE!" while driving.

What the hell was Honda thinking with the armrests? The old fit had soft-touch fabric on the door armrest, perfectly positioned and a fabulous minivan-style armrest for the driver with no armrest of the passenger to remind them to go buy their own damn car. This was one of the most comfortable driving positions out there. Move to the new car and the door panel armrest is made out of hard plastic, but wait, it gets better. This hard plastic has a little pattern molded into it, so not only is it hard, it's abrasive too! What about the center console? Well it's about 3 inches too short (and I'm a guy with long arms and the seat all the way down). And although it's covered with fabric and a bit of padding, it also manages to be exceedingly hard.

CVT is a CVT. Constantly variable? sure. constant friction wear? yep? will it last 200,000 miles consistently? We will just have to wait and see.

Made in mexico. Some people wont care. I do.

Final Thoughts
I still think the Fit is the best value car in america and I will continue forcing my friends to at least test drive one prior to buying any new or used car. But this new Fit has definitely lost some of the magic of the outgoing model and it makes me very sad indeed.
Would adding upper/lower sway bars maybe help it to achieve go kart feel?