3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Is EX worth $1800 more than LX.

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2014, 07:57 AM
Yes

Yes the EX is worth it. $1800 is a lot but you also get a lot

LaneWatch
The blind spot camera is AWESOME!

Smart Entry
Proximity based key is convenient because you never have to take them out of your pocket

Paddle shifters
Suprisingly responsive

Also fog lights, moonroof, InfoTainment touch screen, HDMI input for iPhone navigation app.

My one gripe is EX drops the aux input jack which the LX has. The EX only has Bluetooth, HDMI and USB audio inputs, which aren't compatible with legacy audio devices like a stand-alone XM radio receiver.

I upgraded to the EX-L because I wanted heated seats but I don't think leather, heated mirrors and seats are worth $1500 unless you are planning to keep this car a very long time.

Old 07-16-2014, 09:49 AM
I think the $1,800 is a great value for the extra features you can get from upgrading to the EX trim, but for me, there were too many trade-offs. I preferred the LX MT and am glad I went that route.

Features I didn’t want in the EX Trim
-Sunroof
-Alloy Wheels (Need steel for Michigan winters and crappy roads)
-Push button start (I thought it would be awkward with a manual transmission)
-Touchscreen (I don’t think they are responsive enough. If they were as responsive as my phone’s screen, I would reconsider)
-Chrome front spoiler

Features that I thought were great in the EX Trim
-Lane Watch Camera (Loved it in the test drive)
-Smart Key Entry
-Fog Lights
-HDMI Input (Wish it could be used when not in park)

Even if there were no price premium for the EX Model, I kept feeling like I was compromising too much with it because there were more things I didn’t want than I did want. Plus the LX gets slightly better MPG and the back-up camera, and Bluetooth came standard. I just couldn’t justify spending more money on something where there were features I not only didn’t need, but would bother me if I had them.

Last edited by Italianese87; 07-17-2014 at 08:30 AM.
Old 07-16-2014, 10:11 AM
Originally Posted by Italianese87
...Plus the LX gets better MPG...
I wonder why the LX gets better MPG (33/41) than the EX (32/38) when they both have the same CVT and drive train.

Old 07-16-2014, 10:11 AM
Is the EX a good value? Absolutely...if you want the extras it provides.

I'm a practical guy. I went with the LX. I plan on keeping this car for 8+ years...I really think cars with more bells and whistles tend to age much more poorly when those things begin to break. Besdies...it's something small but I do prefer the black trim to the chrome.

Team LX here.

However, both are good choices. The LX actually has a good deal of premium features for a base model. IE: Back up camera etc.

Old 07-16-2014, 10:13 AM
Originally Posted by simonx314
I wonder why the LX gets better MPG (33/41) than the EX (32/38) when they both have the same CVT and drive train.
Tire size? I presume.

Old 07-16-2014, 10:18 AM
Originally Posted by ncoflin
Tire size? I presume.
The LX has 15" wheels and the EX has 16" wheels. The engine would have to spin the smaller wheels faster to travel the same distance as the larger wheels, so wouldn't that reduce mileage?

The 16" alloy wheels are also lighter. I'm assuming the 15" wheels are steel.

Smaller wheels would increase torque though. Great for towing your motorhome.

Last edited by simonx314; 07-16-2014 at 10:19 AM. Reason: added mention of alloy being lighter
Old 07-16-2014, 10:19 AM
The LX has a more aerodynamic underside.

Old 07-16-2014, 10:24 AM
Originally Posted by Italianese87
The LX has a more aerodynamic underside.
Dang. I just bought an EX-L on monday with a less areodynamic underside which robs me of gas money.

I'VE MADE A HORRIBLE MISTAKE

Old 07-16-2014, 02:23 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks for the all the information. I also checked out all the information provided on Honda website. LX and EX has same under the hood stuff ( suspension related strut bars, engine and brakes size). Not sure if EX tuned differently in order to accommodate 16" wheels.
Are there any handling differences between both the trims? In case of 8G accord, EX suppose to help cornering with low profile tires (conventional steering mechanism). Not sure if it makes (low profile wider tire) any difference with electric steering.

Are these paddle shifters common with EX. Does it help the car to move quickly and gain mpg.

Thanks

Old 07-16-2014, 03:37 PM
5 Year Member
The LX has 15" wheels and the EX has 16" wheels. The engine would have to spin the smaller wheels faster to travel the same distance as the larger wheels, so wouldn't that reduce mileage?

The 16" alloy wheels are also lighter. I'm assuming the 15" wheels are steel.

Smaller wheels would increase torque though. Great for towing your motorhome.
I think, outer radius of the tire is same for both LX and EX.

Old 07-16-2014, 07:12 PM
Get the EXL it's worth every cent. No regrets here. leather heated seats great comfort for winter or cold fall days! Lane watch, keyless entry, push button start, present technology, much higher future resale value.

Last edited by 15/SILVER/EXL; 07-17-2014 at 05:54 PM.
Old 07-17-2014, 12:11 AM
5 Year Member
Another thing everyone needs to consider when doing the "LX vs. EX" thing, is the ability for the EX to utilize the new "HondaLink, the next generation". Both new civics and Fits (excluding the LX versions), utilize these features thanks to the 7" screen. I was really impressed with all you can do with HondaLink, and never factored this feature into my decision making process when doing my original research. I am now certain we made the right decision by purchasing the EX. Another thing I have not seen anyone mention is the fact Alloy wheels are lighter than steel wheels (as found on the LX). Because wheels are considered "unsprung weight", meaning their weight exists below the suspension of a car, handling can be improved with the alloy wheels, unless of course you live in an area with harsh winters, where the extra weight of the steel wheels might benefit your road handling. I live in Tennessee, and we have mild winters, so the improved handling of the lighter alloy wheels will serve me better.

Last edited by Vanguard; 07-17-2014 at 12:19 AM.
Old 07-17-2014, 02:40 PM
5 Year Member
Any feedback on life and quality of factory equipped tires. LX equipped with 60R15 84T rated tire compared EX with 55 R16 83H. EX has H rated tire compared T in LX.

Old 07-17-2014, 03:26 PM
5 Year Member
One factor to consider is that the LX gets rid of a lot of questionable things - stuff like Smart Entry, Keyless Start, etc can just lead to headaches down the road when the car is out of warranty. The LX has in its favor, less technology, plus it has knobs and buttons for the audio system. The higher profile tires will also ride a bit better since they have more give, and given the short wheelbase of the Fit, you'll definitely feel the impact more from bumps than larger cars. No sunroof means more headroom too.

If you're looking for a good economical gets you around small car, then I think the LX trim might actually make a lot more sense. Especially as compared to an EX-L... I just don't get the leather in a small car notion at all. Give me a leather wrapped steering wheel, but cloth seats anyday.

Old 07-17-2014, 03:46 PM
I wanted the Lane Assist, HDMI input, and larger navigation screen. Didn't care about the wheels or sunroof. Those first three things to me weren't necessarily worth $1800 but I didn't feel I would be satisfied with my purchase if i didn't get those things so in the end I guess they are.

Old 07-17-2014, 05:49 PM
I'm usually the entry level buyer myself, but when I saw all the features on the EX... I couldn't resist. The lanewatch and keyless entry sold me, as well as the guided backup thing. I'm so glad I test drove the Ex instead of the LX. I thought it was an exceptional value for $1800 more.

Old 07-17-2014, 09:35 PM
To me, it's worth it. I do want the Lane Watch, Moonroof, Wheel Package, Keyless entry, and bigger screen.

Now those things aren't "necessary" per se, but I think they are worth the extra cost and want them in my vehicle.

Of course, not everyone feels that way so for them, the LX would be the way to go.

Old 07-17-2014, 11:11 PM
5 Year Member
I am picking up my LX tomorrow. Had to hunt far and wide for the color I wanted (Blue) in an LX CVT near me, but here are the reasons why I opted not to do the EX (which would have been easier and faster to get by far).

Yes, price made a difference but not a huge one.
I wanted the aux port and the physical knobs on the stereo.
I dislike moonroofs and sunroofs. Too many have given me trouble over the years and I may well keep this car over a decade and over 200k miles.
I prefer 15" wheels. Remember that the 16" wheel puts less rubber between you and the road. Great for cornering, bad for ride quality. If I want alloys, I will buy some 15 or even 14" alloys. I don't want sport-tuned, I want cruiser-tuned.
Increased mileage is a good, especially doing 15k-20k miles a year. The difference between 38 and 41 mpg ia like 39 gallons a year. That's around $150 every year for the life of the car.
Lane watch is not something I will use. -- I don't think I would ever look at the dash when changing lanes. Backup, yes, lane watch, no.
Never had a car with pushbutton start or proximity entry, so won't miss those. Would have been nice but not worth the trade-offs for me. Had it in rentals, cool, but probably the only thing I actually cared about and just not worth it.
Paddle shifters would be wasted on me. I'm a highway cruiser. Let the CVT do all the work while I chill. I haven't shifted a car in twenty years. I rarely even disable the overdrive on an a/t.
HDMI input, meh. I can't imagine ever using it, especially since it only works in park.
Foglights would be nice, but honestly in nearly 30 years driving all over the country, including the SF Bay, the Boston area, etc., I have never once found myself saying either "Wow! These fog lights are awesome!" or "Damn! If only I had some fog lights!"

Now, I totally get why a ton of folks, especially enthusiast drivers would prefer the EX and why it is a good deal if you like and use the things I don't. It really is. Folks who like chrome, moonroofs, bigger wheels (with less tire), cornering over ride, and all that are certainly much better off getting an EX. Absolutely. But for some of us who love our cars and research the crap out of them, but really want a solid, highly reliable, comfortable, and straightforward vehicle, the LX is probably a better choice.

Old 07-18-2014, 12:13 AM
I don't think it is worth it. The extras are things I don't care about. The LX has exactly what I would have ordered. It is a kid hauler. If I want sport, I use my Camaro. (But I have to say, the LX is better equipped than the Camaro, though not nearly as fast, of course) If it were my only car...might be willing to go for an EX

Last edited by Stingray; 07-18-2014 at 12:22 AM.
Old 07-18-2014, 03:29 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by neteng101
One factor to consider is that the LX gets rid of a lot of questionable things - stuff like Smart Entry, Keyless Start, etc can just lead to headaches down the road when the car is out of warranty. The LX has in its favor, less technology, plus it has knobs and buttons for the audio system.
Do we get volume/mode setting buttons on steering wheel with EX?

Thanks

Quick Reply: Is EX worth $1800 more than LX.