3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Roof vs Hitch

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2014, 02:29 PM
Originally Posted by andrew19942001
Still looking for practical experience based on facts. Not looking for opinion on whether or not you think this is a good idea- thanks
Examine the hitch platforms you see on small cars. How many of them are straight and how many of them are tweaked one way or the other? Why are they tweaked?

Some simple observation can tell you that hitch-mounted carriers are not a good idea on a light duty hitch.

Those who are able to do a bit of engineering will realize that a better platform and mount can be designed, but apparently these sorts of smarts are in short supply in today's "download the app" world.

Old 07-30-2014, 04:16 PM
I noticed that at least on the hitch itself, it seems like the curt model is a little better, it attaches in 3 places where as the drawtite and hidden attach in 2. Although the curt is more labor intensive but seems like a sturdier product. Sturdy enough to support 100-150 pounds of dead weight hanging off the back? I don't know, someone had some pictures on here of a loaded down carrier but it looks like they've been removed. I had a hitch carrier on the back of my mustang before and it did OK but the fit is an overall smaller car at least on the outside I think. I know from that experience you need a lock or clamp that snugs up the square tube in the receiver if you just slide it in and stick the pin in it the clearances are too high and the carrier will flop side to side quite a bit.

Old 07-31-2014, 10:54 PM
regardless of what you guys all think of hitch mounted storage, it can take 200 pounds all day long. That is what the hitches are rated to as a minimum. I woud expect the Curt style to be stronger, since it has quite a bit more leverage control from that big third leg going under the spare tire well

The real answer to roof versus hitch is a matter of convenience.

You can easily pack a hitch mount. Packing the roof style can be a pain, and not everyone can easily put larger objects up there.

If the Fit is built like the old 80s and 90s civics, they can take over 800 pounds on the roof, when securely and PROPERLY mounted/attached

Old 08-01-2014, 01:55 AM
800 pounds on the roof? A lot of pickups won't carry 800 pounds in their beds! 200 would be pushing it!

Another drawback to rear platforms is that things get mighty dirty back there, particularly if you drive in the wet. That's the price you pay for not taking a hit on fuel economy! A good cover is a must.

Old 08-01-2014, 08:21 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by andrew19942001
I know from that experience you need a lock or clamp that snugs up the square tube in the receiver if you just slide it in and stick the pin in it the clearances are too high and the carrier will flop side to side quite a bit.
You wouldn't happen to have a source for that would you? I've tried wrapping the square bar part of the ball mount with tape to try to shim and snug it up in the hitch a little, but it just doesn't really work. When I have the utility trailer hooked up the ball mount makes a ton of racket banging up and down inside the hitch.

-Dustin