3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Optional remote start, worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2014, 01:22 AM
Optional remote start, worth it?

This option I heard is meant for those to warm up their cars. Is this a myth that one have to warm up cars before driving off, especially the newer cars. I read somewhere that you don't need to warm up your car, that and also doing so, you waste gas. What are you guys thoughts on this

Old 06-19-2014, 06:32 AM
I think it is more warming up the car so you don't have to go out into the cold. At least that is what I would use it for. During this last winter, its not a bad idea to let the car warm up for operation and comfort as we experienced an extended period of below zero weather. If you have always lived in CA you may not of had the privileged of enjoying such a benefit of the east

I considered it but decided I would just go out and start it and go back in and wait

Old 06-19-2014, 11:31 AM
ntx
Well we have an alternative issue here in TX. We want to cool down the car.

Old 06-19-2014, 11:47 AM
Originally Posted by ntx
Well we have an alternative issue here in TX. We want to cool down the car.
LOL we all have our demons! LOL

Old 06-19-2014, 03:41 PM
Here in CA, the weather doesn't get that cold. I'm going to opt out of the Dealer's option and go with the viper smart start (not to warm up the car), but just for the convenience of starting the car before I get in & it's all done with your smart phone.

I guess I started this thread wanting to know if is it even necessary to warm up the car on these new cars now days or has this been a myth all along, And how it may harm your engine in the long run you we don't warm it up?

Old 06-19-2014, 03:47 PM
Originally Posted by MyFit15
Here in CA, the weather doesn't get that cold. I'm going to opt out of the Dealer's option and go with the viper smart start (not to warm up the car), but just for the convenience of starting the car before I get in & it's all done with your smart phone.

I guess I started this thread wanting to know if is it even necessary to warm up the car on these new cars now days or has this been a myth all along, And how it may harm your engine in the long run you we don't warm it up?
Its all subject to opinion but facts are facts, metals are more brittle when cold but an internal combustion engine warms up pretty dang fast as far as metal goes, it may take the coolant a few minutes but I guarantee you you cylinder walls and block are well on their way before you pull out of your drive. With better induction of fuel to the engines it isn't near as critical as when we had carburetors and waiting on chokes to warm up. In Ca, personally I would not be the least worried about letting it warm up. Jump in and drive!

Old 06-19-2014, 03:54 PM
Thanks for your insight. Yeah this time I'm just going to put it in drive as soon as I get in the car. On my previous car (2013 Civic) I was just warming it up and realized what am I doing, just wasting gas sitting there idling the car. It didn't make sense & that's when I went on my research hunt and found conflicting reports how it may even cost you at the pump by warming up your car and so on.

Old 06-20-2014, 11:54 AM
5 Year Member
The most I'll do is let it run while I'm scraping ice, and if it's above zero I probably won't even run it then.

Old 06-20-2014, 12:31 PM
I'd rather honda offered a oil pan heater instead. Just saying

Old 06-20-2014, 01:50 PM
5 Year Member
If it's about 20F outside you should have the car plugged in and run it at least 10-20 min before driving as it's supposed to be easier on the engine. This is coming from living up in Alaska where there are winter days that it's below 0 and you really do want to warm that car up (engine and in the cabin) before you drive off.

Up here, its' definitely worth having.

In hot weather areas, you can always use the auto start and set your car up on the coldest temperature and have it cooled off before you get in!! ;D

Old 06-20-2014, 03:45 PM
In the olde dayes of single-weight oil and balky thermostats a warmup was required. These days, with oil like water and closer tolerances it isn't so critical and cause actually be detrimental. Better to move off promptly but not to ask too much of the car until the low temp light goes out. This gets the engine to operating temperature faster, wastes less fuel, and reduces the condensation of water into the oil.

Old 06-20-2014, 05:06 PM
5 Year Member
If I parked outside in winter it would sure be nice to have the windows warmed up and frost melted. I'm not concerned about interior being warmed unless it's REALLY cold.

In most places prewarming hasn't been recommended for decades. Just drive easy for a mile or two. Or until your temp lite goes out.

Old 06-20-2014, 07:22 PM
Originally Posted by GeorgeL
In the olde dayes of single-weight oil and balky thermostats a warmup was required. These days, with oil like water and closer tolerances it isn't so critical and cause actually be detrimental. Better to move off promptly but not to ask too much of the car until the low temp light goes out. This gets the engine to operating temperature faster, wastes less fuel, and reduces the condensation of water into the oil.
Glad you mentioned the low temp light George, i assume most everyone is seeing this light when they start up? I don't see it every day but have several days.