3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Fuel Mileage Related Discussions

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2021, 09:35 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by StaynFit
What's up, FitFreaks!

I just purchased a pre-owned 2015 GK w/ 86K. I'm not new to having a Fit, I actually had a 2008 Fit Sport, when it first was introduced. I loved driving the Fit!

I bought the car with a full tank of gas (topped off to the neck). I just went and did my first fill up and payed $27 @ $2.61 per gallon. I pumped exactly 10.68 gallons into the tank (topped off to the neck) as I usually do. I ended up getting 451.7 miles with the computer telling my that I had 9 miles left to drive.
An empty tank holds 11.33 gallons when you top it off. Now, try joining the 500 mile club on a single tank of gas. From hand calculations, the Honda mpg display is actually lower than actual mpg. It was on the high side when the car was new. Calculations are done only when the tank is topped off (no opinions, please) between fills. The amble low fuel warning lamp shows up when there is about 1 gallon of gas left. It will come on after two bars is showing. The miles left display is high inaccurate since it depends on how you are currently driving. I have gone up to 6 miles after no bar showing. I would not take this chance when I am driving in the middle of no where.

Last edited by wasserball; 05-27-2021 at 09:44 AM.
Old 05-27-2021, 09:47 AM
You should never top off the filler neck if you care about the environment. It will eventually destroy your evaporative emissions system. The evaporative emissions system has a hose from the filler neck that is meant to transfer the gas fumes into the charcoal canister. If it starts getting liquid fuel into the charcoal canister it will eventually destroy the charcoals ability to absorb the fumes.while your car sits. The lack of an evaporative emissions system is why motorcycles and scooters are not considered "clean" vehicles despite their high gas mileage. They dump hydrocarbons into the air continuously, even while they sit.

Old 05-27-2021, 11:10 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Spacecoast Tardis
You should never top off the filler neck if you care about the environment. It will eventually destroy your evaporative emissions system. The evaporative emissions system has a hose from the filler neck that is meant to transfer the gas fumes into the charcoal canister. If it starts getting liquid fuel into the charcoal canister it will eventually destroy the charcoals ability to absorb the fumes.while your car sits. The lack of an evaporative emissions system is why motorcycles and scooters are not considered "clean" vehicles despite their high gas mileage. They dump hydrocarbons into the air continuously, even while they sit.
Anything that interferes with the emission system will trigger the Check Engine light. Most states don't want that lit if the car is going to pass inspection. Leaving the gas cap loose can trigger that light, but tightening it will eventually make it go off. I stop filling when the pump shuts off.

Old 05-27-2021, 11:13 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by wasserball
An empty tank holds 11.33 gallons when you top it off. Now, try joining the 500 mile club on a single tank of gas. From hand calculations, the Honda mpg display is actually lower than actual mpg. It was on the high side when the car was new. Calculations are done only when the tank is topped off (no opinions, please) between fills. The amble low fuel warning lamp shows up when there is about 1 gallon of gas left. It will come on after two bars is showing. The miles left display is high inaccurate since it depends on how you are currently driving. I have gone up to 6 miles after no bar showing. I would not take this chance when I am driving in the middle of no where.
I find that mpg decreases dramatically when the ambient temperature drops. As soon as it gets warm, my mileage shoots up. I get 50 or better driving into town (17 miles), mostly downhill. Coming home, I get mid 40s. I've averaged 42.6 MPG for a little over 68k miles.

Old 06-17-2021, 05:41 PM
So now that I've had a few months with my 2018 sport, I thought I'd chime in with my own observed mpg. I've got to say, I'm thrilled with it. This is including me scooting up onramps with unnecessarily silly quickness, and making fairly judicious use of sport mode and the paddles.

Old 08-02-2021, 03:32 PM
So I took a 66 mile trip the other day, and decided to drive with a focus on fuel economy. This still included cruising at or near the speed limit of 70 MPH. Half way through the drive I found myself driving behind a semi, so that may have contributed. I was at a decent distance behind him though, as people were plenty comfortable passing between the semi and myself. Net elevation loss of about 100 feet. If I didn't see it with my own eyes, I wouldn't have believed it. I had a small mini fridge in the back. I'm convinced without it I would have hit 57.

Old 11-18-2021, 11:29 AM
What was the first year they started putting CVT's in the Fit's?

Old 01-13-2022, 12:47 PM
5 Year Member
Hows this for a record ?
Stuck in a slow motorway traffic at nearly constant of 50mpg !

I drive a 2018 Jazz 1.5 Sport CVT

Old 01-16-2022, 08:08 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by wasserball

Yeah, I noticed it was display was 53MPG on the 2016 and about 50MPG for the 2015 when I bought them, and got above 50 when I drove them, curious.

Old 04-12-2022, 02:43 PM
5 Year Member

From Zion National Park to Salt Lake City. Averaging 80 mph. 2015 EX CVT with 83k miles on it.

Old 06-03-2022, 09:54 PM
Originally Posted by tmfit
Now that some of us are lucky enough to have gotten our Fit's, it would be a great opportunity to compare and inform others what we are getting in MPG.

Perhaps list the level of Trim and actual mileage and displayed mileage by car computer.

My first tank I got 36.4 actual computer said 37.3 I have the EX-L
AC was used probably 85% of the time
I only average around 34 to 35 on the highway only way I get better gas mileage is if I set the cruise at 70 mph instead of 75

Old 06-04-2022, 10:10 AM
If you live in a dry climate and rain is not an issue, remove the windshield wipers and stow at least the driver's side under the seat. It dramatically reduces wind-noise and increases fuel efficiency 3-5 mpg. The car looks better without the clutter of the wipers IMHO, and acceleration is better when passing.

When driving with no AC on I-40 from Barstow to Grants, NM, or up I-15 from Barstow into Utah, or on I-10 from Barstow to El Paso we get between 40 & 42 mpg, depending on wind conditions traveling between 70 & 75mph. These routes run from 2,500 to 6,500ft elevation.

When driving at lower altitudes with the AC on, like from Barstow to Yuma along the Salton Sea where the air is very thick, being below sea level, and with stop & go traffic, we get ~ 38 mpg.

2016 EX with CVT

Old 06-04-2022, 10:25 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by solidpoint
...along the Salton Sea...
That has an interesting history.

Old 06-04-2022, 11:39 AM
Mpg

Originally Posted by solidpoint
If you live in a dry climate and rain is not an issue, remove the windshield wipers and stow at least the driver's side under the seat. It dramatically reduces wind-noise and increases fuel efficiency 3-5 mpg. The car looks better without the clutter of the wipers IMHO, and acceleration is better when passing.

When driving with no AC on I-40 from Barstow to Grants, NM, or up I-15 from Barstow into Utah, or on I-10 from Barstow to El Paso we get between 40 & 42 mpg, depending on wind conditions traveling between 70 & 75mph. These routes run from 2,500 to 6,500ft elevation.

When driving at lower altitudes with the AC on, like from Barstow to Yuma along the Salton Sea where the air is very thick, being below sea level, and with stop & go traffic, we get ~ 38 mpg.

2016 EX with CVT
very interesting,...thank you...I do drive on I8 to yuma every night so that would explain some of it

Old 06-06-2022, 09:49 AM
I have also experimented with pinning the side mirrors on the doors fully back while driving freeway speeds, and that doesn't seem to make a difference (also not safe), and with the mirrors stowed the front of the vehicle is very slippery. I have also used 4" wide Gorilla tape to tape over screw-in attachment point on the lower engine cover, and while it retains the screws, preventing them from ending up in my tires, it doesn't seem to help, although I suspect removing that cover would be bad.

Fuel system cleaner, like Techron, or something else perhaps better (I like deep pockets to sue if something ruins my engine) I find is helpful to increase MPG as is a clean air filter. In theory, the fuel system should be able to compensate for restricted air flow, but in my experience, it doesn't do that well when changing power settings. Hot & High conditions make a dirty air filter problem worse, especially if the AC is on.

Guessing here, but since lowering the vehicle doesn't seem to help, but a cross-wind does, I think the MPG limit on the FIT is the vacuum behind the full-height back side of the car. A crosswind or tail wind reduces or destroys this mileage killer.

Except for the stowing the windshield wipers, the biggest difference I have seen is driving using Cruise Control on Eco mode. My wife likes to drive with her foot and it always costs us 2-4 mpg vs when I drive and use the Cruise Control, especially for passing on the freeway. If I cancel the CC I place my foot over the accelerator pedal and cancel. I like to be absolutely certain that either I or the CC is controlling the vehicle so I don't get surprised. Typically this is when closing on a slow car in the fast lane I can't get around. As soon as I clear that traffic event I go back to CC by using the Resume button.

Cheers!

Old 06-06-2022, 12:27 PM
Mpg

Thanks for the info

Old 10-16-2022, 08:52 AM
2015 MT here. Just got it a month ago and I didn't discover the MPG readout until yesterday. I can't believe it, but I am getting in the low 40s without even trying (43.2) ! I do drive conservatively by nature though. Mostly rural roads here. I can't wait to see what it gets on a long highway trip. Yes, the meter is probably over estimating the MPG to high side, so I'll moderate my enthusiasm un til I get a few hand calculations done, but this is by far the most efficient 4 cyl I've ever owned.

Old 10-16-2022, 09:00 AM
5 Year Member
My 2019 overestimates by about 2.5 mpg relative to gas in and miles driven. I drive conservatively to get the 42.2 actual mpg as I put many commuter miles on the car - even through the 'demic as I live far away from work.

Old 10-16-2022, 09:55 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Jazu
My 2019 overestimates by about 2.5 mpg relative to gas in and miles driven. I drive conservatively to get the 42.2 actual mpg as I put many commuter miles on the car - even through the 'demic as I live far away from work.
If you told someone ten years ago that you were averaging 42 mpg, they wouldn't believe you. The Fit is a great car for mileage, but it goes down considerably as the weather gets colder.

Old 10-16-2022, 10:11 AM
5 Year Member
I averaged 42 mpg in my 1994 Civic VX through 2007...lean burn technology that Honda used from Chrysler. We could still do that and not have all this complicated direct FI issues. But emissions on lean burn are not = to today.

Quick Reply: Fuel Mileage Related Discussions