3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Fuel Mileage Related Discussions

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2020, 12:40 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by nomenclator
To calculate your fuel efficiency is very simple. Fill up your gas tank, write down your odometer reading, Call that Reading One, or R1. Then after you drive around for a while, till the tank up a second time and write down your odometer reading again, at that time. Call that R2. Also write down how many units of fuel it it took to fill the tank..Call that Fuel, or F. Fuel efficiency, in distance traveled per unit of fuel, which we will call E equals the difference beteen R2 and R1, divided by F. Or in the more concise language called algebra, (R2 - R1) / F.

If R is in miles and F in gallons, then E will be in miles per gallon. If kilometers and liters, then E will be in kilometers per liter. To get gallons per mile or liters per kilometer, divide 1 by E.

I took a look at fuelly.com to see what they say about how to calculate fuel efficiency, and their explanation not only didn't match mine, but it didn't make any sense. In one video they say write down your odometer reading on your receipt when you "fuel-up." Well, it's not enough to "fuel up" your vehicle. You have to fill your tank, not merely fuel up. Then they say when you get home enter "these values" at the fuelly.com web site. For fuelly to calculate fuel efficiency you must enter the amount of fuel it took to fill you tank. But they say nothing about entering the amount of fuel it took to fill your tank. They just say "these values." That instruction is too vague to be of any use to anyone. If I did not know how to calculate fuel efficiency, I would not be able to learn how, from their web site. I would have left it totally confused.
I've improved my mpg mesurement variation by filling the tank (pump kicks off) then add exactly 1.0 more US gallon of gas to my 2019 Fit LX (it was 1.7 gal on my 2002 CR-V and 1.4 gallons on my 1992 Integra GS-R). What this does is ensures the tank is filled to a more consistent full volume across fills.

Old 01-31-2020, 12:41 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SilverEX15
I see what you mean, but I don't think either will run indefinitely. I'll check that.
My B has been tracking my inter-tank fill mpg since ~ 1000 miles (I now have 8000 miles on the ODO). I do reset my A mpg ever fill.

Old 01-31-2020, 12:49 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Brian Jones
I have a 2015 with 95K miles. It had been getting about 40 mpg average (42-38, occasionally 45). Just a month ago, the fuel economy started going down. Now it is averaging 36 mpg. Same driving situation, except for temperature. I live on the Oregon coast, so the temps. have dropped from an average of 60 degrees to an average of 48 degrees. I know, not much of a change. That's coastal living for you.
When I saw the slide happening, I changed the plugs since the old ones had 95K miles on them. I used the exact same NGK plug as the original and checked the gap carefully. Then I inspected the air filter, which I had replaced about 3 months ago. It looked very clean. I checked the tire air pressure. One tire was 2 lbs low. Topped it up. All the airflow parts are in place and tight on the bottom. I plan to try the Techron as others have suggested to see if that makes any difference. If it doesn't, I'll assume the change is due to the change of season. The car has run beautifully for nearly 100k miles with one exception. The variable valve timing control (VTC) has increasingly caused a pronounced rattle when the car is started after sitting for awhile. It's so bad now that I couldn't sell the car if I wanted to (I don't). It started the rattle at about 8K miles and has gotten progressively worse, especially in the last six months. But I don't see how this particular problem (shared by other Fit owners) could affect the fuel economy.
Temperature has the biggest difference for me ~ 5 mpg hit as temps decrease from 80 F to 20 F. I track several variables but drive consistently the same way. % city driving (stop and go traffic not on the highway) is next.

Check out my previous posts on mpg tracking.

Old 01-31-2020, 03:03 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Jazu
I've improved my mpg mesurement variation by filling the tank (pump kicks off) then add exactly 1.0 more US gallon of gas to my 2019 Fit LX (it was 1.7 gal on my 2002 CR-V and 1.4 gallons on my 1992 Integra GS-R). What this does is ensures the tank is filled to a more consistent full volume across fills.
Pump 1 fills up and stops 7.7 gallons. You add one more gallon and you're now at 8.7 gallons

Same scenario, but pump 2 fills up and stops at 7.9 gallons. You add 1 gallon and now you're at 8.9 gallons.

I don't understand how that makes the fill-up any more consistent. Please explain to me like I'm a caveman.

Old 01-31-2020, 03:07 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 2Rismo2
Pump 1 fills up and stops 7.7 gallons. You add one more gallon and you're now at 8.7 gallons

Same scenario, but pump 2 fills up and stops at 7.9 gallons. You add 1 gallon and now you're at 8.9 gallons.

I don't understand how that makes the fill-up any more consistent. Please explain to me like I'm a caveman.
The best way to fill the tank consistently is to fill it to the point where it is about to spill out onto the ground. Then you can get a really accurate computation.

Of course, if you just keep track of how many gallons go in and how far the car goes, you can divide one by the other and get an accurate figure.

Old 01-31-2020, 04:08 PM
5 Year Member
The best way to fill the tank consistently is to fill it to the point where it is about to spill out onto the ground. Then you can get a really accurate computation.

Of course, if you just keep track of how many gallons go in and how far the car goes, you can divide one by the other and get an accurate figure.
I said like a caveman, still way too complicated haha

Old 02-01-2020, 11:30 AM
Is the car's metering measurement proved to be inaccurate? Is that why we're going to such great lengths to measure fuel economy? 0_o

Old 02-05-2020, 10:26 PM
This would be the best way to kill your gas tank evaporative system.

Old 02-05-2020, 10:51 PM
5 Year Member
2bFit is correct. If you overfill the tank by trying to force as much gas as possible into it the excess may overflow into the emissions system, in particular the charcoal canister which is meant to handle gas fumes and can be destroyed if drowned in liquid gas. The proper and safe way to fill up the tank is to stop filling the first time the pump clicks off. That's it, you're done.

Old 02-06-2020, 07:58 AM
Update for my “best ever” is 51.2 miles per US gallon.

Slightly more than 60 miles traveled and circumstances allowed ACC to maintain 60 mph, which is apparently the best compromise rev for a CVT.

Old 02-06-2020, 08:43 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by George Knighton
Update for my “best ever” is 51.2 miles per US gallon.

Slightly more than 60 miles traveled and circumstances allowed ACC to maintain 60 mph, which is apparently the best compromise rev for a CVT.
Not trying to be argumentative, but what's the use of keeping track of the best trip MPG? I track my MPG by the tank and that's good enough for me.

Old 02-06-2020, 08:47 AM
5 Year Member
Not trying to be argumentative, but what's the use of keeping track of the best trip MPG? I track my MPG by the tank and that's good enough for me.
It's fun!

My best on a 20 mile drive was 60.0 MPG, 45 - 55 mph.

Old 02-06-2020, 09:11 AM
There is no point.

It is just interesting how high an MPG the GK5 can produce in the right circumstances.

Of course, even a short period in stop and go will cause it to plummet.

Old 02-06-2020, 09:31 AM
5 Year Member
Fair enough. I track the tank MPG as it's a good indicator if something is going on with the car. If all of a sudden there is a huge MPG drop, then something is not right.

I feel trip to trip, it can swing dramatically and not really any use to me personally.

Old 02-06-2020, 09:37 AM
5 Year Member
Fair enough. I track the tank MPG as it's a good indicator if something is going on with the car. If all of a sudden there is a huge MPG drop, then something is not right..
Yes, that is a good reason to keep track of mileage, but the Fit does that automatically, and we will see at a glance if there is a sudden drop.

Old 02-06-2020, 10:40 AM
5 Year Member
Yes, that is a good reason to keep track of mileage, but the Fit does that automatically, and we will see at a glance if there is a sudden drop.
It does it though not very accurately. That's why I like to do it the old fashioned way.

Old 02-06-2020, 10:41 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by George Knighton
There is no point.

It is just interesting how high an MPG the GK5 can produce in the right circumstances.

Of course, even a short period in stop and go will cause it to plummet.
I do it just for fun. I live a simple life.

Old 02-06-2020, 11:57 AM
5 Year Member
I track my MPG for maintenance reasons. It all started on my 1992 Integra GS-R that didn't have OBD. I could tell something was happening and was able to diagnose it earlier by using MPG as a measure (vacuum line issues, etc). Now I just do it out of habit.

Why did I find out that adding that additional volume of gas reduced variation you ask? My control chart's range chart variation (r-bar chart) dropped when I started filling the tank up more full (to get 350 miles out of my tank when I was traveling to the plant 336 mi away frequently for work). So I did it in periods to demonstrate that my range (variation) decreased when I added that extra volume.

What are people's experienece with how much gas (in volume) it takes to go from the pump stop to overflowing?

Old 02-06-2020, 01:34 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Jazu
I track my MPG for maintenance reasons. It all started on my 1992 Integra GS-R...
I started doing that in 1962 with an MG Midget. I have lots of little pads.

Old 02-08-2020, 10:07 AM
Originally Posted by exl500
I live a simple life.
One of the secrets to happiness.

Quick Reply: Fuel Mileage Related Discussions