3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Fuel Mileage Related Discussions

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2017, 09:18 AM
I have a 2016 Fit EX and I average 44-45mpg with about 75% highway. The best I've gotten once was 49mpg, but that was all highway mileage.

As an additional note, the above mpg's are what's displayed by the car. When I do the actual calculations at the pump (miles driven/gallons filled) I've learned the cars displayed mpg's are marginally on the conservative side, and my actual mpg's are just a tad bit better than what's displayed by the car, by about an additional half mile per gallon.

I don't know why most of you aren't getting better than 35mpg, and I can only assume it's due to driving behaviors. There are some simple things you can do to significantly increase your mpg. Some behaviors affecting mpg negatively are quick or hard accelerations, using the gas pedal down hill (why?, lol), changing lanes quickly, still maintaining speed or accelerating when you know you're going to have to stop at the red light up ahead, etc. If you know the light's red up ahead, it's substantially better to get off the gas and approach a red light slowly until it changes to green than it is to come to a complete stop at the red light and have to accelerate from 0mph; the slower you are at a red light when it changes the more fuel is required to accelerate back to operating speed. Another factor many people don't realize or take into consideration is driving speed. If you drive faster than 55mph on the highway, the wind resistance has a significantly greater affect against the vehicle which causes a large loss in mpg. I forget what the actual formula is for determining it, but it's ultimately the equivalent of paying about 50 cents more per gallon for every mph over 55mph.

In my area of Northeastern Pennsylvania, USA, there's a mix of highway speeds from 55 to 65 mph. I only do the speed limit, religiously. I've even found a surprising increase in mpg if I only go 54mph on the highway where it calls for 55mph. A trivial difference that wouldn't even be noticeable in travel time, yet a surprising increase on mpg. As for highways which call for 65mph speed limits, I try to maintain my speed at 63mph, and yes, there's a noticeably large decrease in mpg even from 63 to 65mph.

If you apply careful and consistent efforts to drive smart for increased mpg, you can make a significant difference regardless of the vehicle you drive. I also have a 2009 Subaru Impreza, and by simply applying good behaviors for increased mpg, I average 35mpg in it.

It's all in the driving behaviors.

Old 11-16-2017, 10:55 AM
sjd
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Musicalpa
I don't know why most of you aren't getting better than 35mpg, and I can only assume it's due to driving behaviors.
Agree 100% I've had my 2018 6MT for just over a month and without babying it (nor am I hammering on it either) and a mix of 60% highway and 40% city I'm seeing 6.0 L/100km or 39 mpg. My best has been 5.4 L/100km or 43 mpg on a 90% highway trip. I only use Shell 87 octane in this car.

Old 11-16-2017, 11:06 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by sjd
Agree 100% I've had my 2018 6MT for just over a month and without babying it (nor am I hammering on it either) and a mix of 60% highway and 40% city I'm seeing 6.0 L/100km or 39 mpg. My best has been 5.4 L/100km or 43 mpg on a 90% highway trip. I only use Shell 87 octane in this car.
Now that the temperature is in the 30s and 40s, my mileage has dropped to upper 30s and lower 40s. In warmer weather, it's low to upper 40s, average. When they start supplying the winter mixture of gas, it will drop a bit more. I wish I could buy non-ethanol gas.

Old 11-16-2017, 11:16 AM
sjd
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SilverEX15
Now that the temperature is in the 30s and 40s, my mileage has dropped to upper 30s and lower 40s. In warmer weather, it's low to upper 40s, average. When they start supplying the winter mixture of gas, it will drop a bit more. I wish I could buy non-ethanol gas.
Yeah, winter is on its way here too and I expect my mileage to drop. My winter tires go on this coming Monday too so that will also affect mileage. Unfortunately the Shell 87 and 89 up here have ethanol. Only the 91 doesn't which is what my other 2 cars get.

Old 11-16-2017, 01:18 PM
with an average ratio of hooning to chilling, and weekly highway travel for family reasons; i average ~38.9MPG between each oil change.

Old 11-24-2017, 05:35 PM
5 Year Member
Did the first big drive in the CVT EX, which is still amazingly unmodified in any way. Concord, CA to Yuma, AZ and then all the way back.

Very open highways with high winds and average 60-70 degrees, using 91 octane.

Old 11-25-2017, 11:29 PM
Super Moderator

Old 11-26-2017, 06:58 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Spyke
Did the first big drive in the CVT EX, which is still amazingly unmodified in any way. Concord, CA to Yuma, AZ and then all the way back.

Very open highways with high winds and average 60-70 degrees, using 91 octane.
Sounds good!

Old 11-26-2017, 12:22 PM
5 Year Member
Ours just got filled up for the second time. We averaged right around 35 on the first tank, with 87 octane, and the first trip with 92, it jumped up to 37 or so. The issue we have here is topes, speed bumps, for traffic control. It messes with my average speed on the bicycle, and with the gas mileage. 95% of our driving is under these conditions. We are still getting better mileage than we would be getting with almost any other car.

Old 11-26-2017, 12:44 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Tusk
We are still getting better mileage than we would be getting with almost any other car.

Old 12-02-2017, 07:56 AM
Currently at 36.5 mpg, that's a mix of city and highway. Could be better maybe if I put better gas. I put the cheapest.

Old 12-02-2017, 08:02 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Pumpkintacos
Currently at 36.5 mpg, that's a mix of city and highway. Could be better maybe if I put better gas. I put the cheapest.
Brands don't matter. Use the cheapest name brand from a busy station.

Old 12-02-2017, 12:21 PM
yep, agreed. 36mpg is what I've been getting in city driving. My hwy miles had a high of 44mpg. overall avg has been 40mpg. It's kinda weird lately...the faster I drive, the more miles to the gallon.

Old 12-02-2017, 04:31 PM
5 Year Member
Agreed, if by name brand you mean Top Tier.

Old 12-02-2017, 05:29 PM
Originally Posted by sjd
That is about what I get in my 2015 manual. This time of year with warming the car up and crappier gas I get a but less.

Old 12-03-2017, 06:35 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by stephenmarklay
That is about what I get in my 2015 manual. This time of year with warming the car up and crappier gas I get a but less.
I never warm up a car, at least not for any length of time. Thirty seconds would be the longest. Driving gently, if possible, warms it up faster. Unfortunately, after driving 1/4 mile, I have to accelerate up a slight hill as I get onto the highway, so I wait for a good break in the traffic.

Old 12-03-2017, 10:42 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by exl500
Agreed, if by name brand you mean Top Tier.
I typically use gas from Murphy's, a Walmart station and still eek low to mid 40s MPG consistently. I can't be bothered to look for some caste system of gas station.

Also I don't warm the car up either. Once Bluetooth connection and music is streaming I'm driving. Take it easy too the temp light goes off then drive normally.

Old 12-03-2017, 04:27 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 2Rismo2
Take it easy too the temp light goes off then drive normally.

Old 12-06-2017, 11:55 AM
jpm
Weird question ... I got my 2016 Fit used with 6,000 miles. I've been tracking with Fuely and everything was great gas mileage wise, I was averaging around 37MPG and was getting around 310 miles before my gas light would go on.

My only issue was my chimes didn't work most of the time (the noise when your turn signals are on, hazards, seat belt warning, etc). I actually didn't mind the lack of chimes but I wanted it fixed while under warranty because I didn't know if that would impact its value on a future trade-in or sale. I'm kind of regretting getting it fixed now.

I took it in to Honda and it was fixed. Little did I know this meant replacing the entire speedometer unit. Apparently whatever controls the chimes is built into the speedometer and it's all one unit.

Since that replacement, my speedometer went to 0 (since it was a new unit) so I had to start my tracking again and my mileage has been noticeably less. I'm now averaging about 34MPG and I'm only getting about 280 miles before my gas light goes on. I think I read in this thread when I first got the car that the computer takes a little while to optimize and you'll get better gas mileage after the first few thousand miles (I'm currently at 1,200 since replacement). Is this correct?

The only thing I can think is the computer that was optimized in the old speedometer and since the unit was replaced it's now basically a new computer so it's got to re-optimize? Does this make sense to anyone? Is the computer that calculates gas efficiency located in the speedometer unit itself?

Thanks.

Old 12-06-2017, 12:05 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jpm
Weird question ... I got my 2016 Fit used with 6,000 miles. I've been tracking with Fuely and everything was great gas mileage wise, I was averaging around 37MPG and was getting around 310 miles before my gas light would go on.

My only issue was my chimes didn't work most of the time (the noise when your turn signals are on, hazards, seat belt warning, etc). I actually didn't mind the lack of chimes but I wanted it fixed while under warranty because I didn't know if that would impact its value on a future trade-in or sale. I'm kind of regretting getting it fixed now.

I took it in to Honda and it was fixed. Little did I know this meant replacing the entire speedometer unit. Apparently whatever controls the chimes is built into the speedometer and it's all one unit.

Since that replacement, my speedometer went to 0 (since it was a new unit) so I had to start my tracking again and my mileage has been noticeably less. I'm now averaging about 34MPG and I'm only getting about 280 miles before my gas light goes on. I think I read in this thread when I first got the car that the computer takes a little while to optimize and you'll get better gas mileage after the first few thousand miles (I'm currently at 1,200 since replacement). Is this correct?

The only thing I can think is the computer that was optimized in the old speedometer and since the unit was replaced it's now basically a new computer so it's got to re-optimize? Does this make sense to anyone? Is the computer that calculates gas efficiency located in the speedometer unit itself?

Thanks.
That's a weird one - replacing the speedometer for fix the chimes. : )

Keep accurate records of before and after the speedo change. It's the same kind of driving, right? In cooler weather, the MPG drops dramatically, so a 3 MPG drop isn't much. I'd go the dealer with your before/after records when you get 2,000 miles on the new speedo, and see what he says. I'd also contact Honda in CA and see if the computer/speedo replacement could make a difference. I'd do that right away. Please keep us informed.

Quick Reply: Fuel Mileage Related Discussions