3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Fuel Mileage Related Discussions

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2016, 04:46 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fuelish
Exactly .... charmed should be paying more attention to the road and other drivers and not fret over the gas gauge

What is your deal? I have a right to ask a question if you don't like it don't answer and move on.

Old 12-06-2016, 04:47 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by KentFinn
What's to fix? Fuel gauges, analog or digital, are tat best, guesses. The bars are WAGS (Wild Ass Guesses). The Info Screens and the "estimated" Range Remaining and SWAGS(Scientific Wild Ass Guesses).

Then there are the conditions. Same temperature, same road, same brand of gas from the same station. And you simply don't have enough data points.

Relax, nothing wrong.
On the 2913 fit the gas gage didn't go down so quick i hate this digital one

Old 12-06-2016, 04:48 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ClifFit
87. Usually 76 or Shell. Avg 35mpg 2016 EX with CVT. Mostly Eco mode and plain o' DRIVE
Do you leave your eco button always on?

Old 12-06-2016, 04:49 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SilverEX15
It's not an issue. If the Fit had a super accurate fuel gauge, it would cost twice as much as it does. The purpose of the gauge is to tell you if you have a lot of gas or a little. Relax and enjoy your good mileage.
What im saying is my 2013 cost me less to fuel then this car and it's supposed to be better on gas

Old 12-06-2016, 04:50 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Buck Fitty
I don't see any numbers on the bars, or any indication that the bars have any numeric meaning. There's nothing to fix. Repetition on many parts of the forum doesn't really change that simple fact.
Im not repeating myself im looking at old forums and seeing what people say and comment on my experience

Old 12-06-2016, 06:11 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by charmed_6719
Im not repeating myself im looking at old forums and seeing what people say and comment on my experience
Uhhh you've created at least two threads and posted the same thing in multiple existing threads. I understand you'd like answers but there is etiquette even online. It's easier to have a discussion on one thread in case there are questions that need to be answered.

Old 12-07-2016, 08:39 PM
5 Year Member
Anyone else having issues with the mileage not being correct? I do 14km and I go down one line , then 40 km down 2 lines. If you had this issue how did Honda fix this?!?
What was your calculated MPG on your last tank of gas doing it the manual way:
  • Note miles driven since prior fill up
  • Note gallons used on current fill up
  • Divide miles by gallons

Old 12-07-2016, 11:23 PM
5 Year Member
On the 2913 fit the gas gage didn't go down so quick i hate this digital one
2913? Typo? Or you are recently returned from the Twilight Zone?

Digital gas gauges are more "accurate" than analog. The little blocks are not numbered and are the least accurate of the digital representation available on the Fit.

BTW, it has been my experience that the Hondas I've owned (3 prior to the Fit) start to get their best mileage until 5,000 miles.

It looks like you're suffering from buyer's remorse. Relax, it will be OK.

Last edited by KentFinn; 12-07-2016 at 11:41 PM.
Old 12-08-2016, 06:04 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 2Rismo2
Uhhh you've created at least two threads and posted the same thing in multiple existing threads. I understand you'd like answers but there is etiquette even online. It's easier to have a discussion on one thread in case there are questions that need to be answered.
^^^ This ^^^^

Old 12-08-2016, 06:46 PM
Originally Posted by Fuelish
^^^ This ^^^^

Old 12-09-2016, 11:16 AM
5 Year Member
Im not repeating myself
You can say that again ...

Old 12-10-2016, 01:16 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Buck Fitty
You can say that again ...
Hehheh....

Old 01-01-2017, 02:05 PM
5 Year Member
The fuel level sensor that is located in the fuel tank is a mechanical float that sends an electrical signal to the computer, and the computer displays bars in the fuel gauge. The "digital" gauge is not the sensor. Although the level sensor is a linear device, and the tank is not because of its oblong shape. Unless there is a volume truth table entered into the computer, the number of bars do not accurately indicate the amount of gasoline left in the tank.

My 2017 Fit is new so and I am trying to figure out when I need to fill the tank. the amber filling icon that illuminates is useless since the low fuel level warning is premature. What I use as the indicator is when there is no bar left in the fuel gauge. I reset the trip ODO to determine how far I could go before the tank is completely empty. I have not determined the precise distance I can travel in city or highway driving before the tank becomes completely empty. (Please don't tell me an empty tank is a bad idea. I have heard it all, thank you). Now, I have been able to fill 11.163 and 11.156 gallons in a Honda spec 10.6 gallon tank so far when no bar is showing.

Last edited by wasserball; 01-01-2017 at 02:08 PM.
Old 01-01-2017, 02:16 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by wasserball
The fuel level sensor that is located in the fuel tank is a mechanical float that sends an electrical signal to the computer, and the computer displays bars in the fuel gauge. The "digital" gauge is not the sensor. Although the level sensor is a linear device, and the tank is not because of its oblong shape. Unless there is a volume truth table entered into the computer, the number of bars do not accurately indicate the amount of gasoline left in the tank.

My 2017 Fit is new so and I am trying to figure out when I need to fill the tank. the amber filling icon that illuminates is useless since the low fuel level warning is premature. What I use as the indicator is when there is no bar left in the fuel gauge. I reset the trip ODO to determine how far I could go before the tank is completely empty. I have not determined the precise distance I can travel in city or highway driving before the tank becomes completely empty. (Please don't tell me an empty tank is a bad idea. I have heard it all, thank you). Now, I have been able to fill 11.163 and 11.156 gallons in a Honda spec 10.6 gallon tank so far when no bar is showing.
I've driven about 50 miles with zero miles showing as available because I couldn't find a gas station open. They allow a lot of leeway with the fuel gauge. Somewhere I saw a chart showing how far you can drive on a tankful, depending on the car. I'll see if I can find it.

Old 01-01-2017, 02:33 PM
5 Year Member
Yes, it was like 2 am on the dark I-10 through western part of TX. I drove about 25 miles after no bar was showing before I found a gas station. Scared me to death.

Old 01-01-2017, 02:40 PM
5 Year Member

Then there's a question of how accurate is the pump at the station you use. Is it the same pump each time? Is your car level? Is the temperature the same? A lot of variables that could be expressed in a half-gallon delta.

It has been my experience over 4 Hondas (3 Civics and now the Fit) that the mileage improves until 5k miles and then levels off. When the orange alert light comes on, the range indicator displays at least 30 miles. I mentally add another 35.

Repeating myself, the gauges, lights, bars, and range estimates are at best SWAGs ... Scientific Wild Ass Guesses. Obviously YMMV

Old 01-01-2017, 03:56 PM
5 Year Member
Then there's a question of how accurate is the pump at the station you use. Is it the same pump each time? Is your car level? Is the temperature the same? A lot of variables that could be expressed in a half-gallon delta.

It has been my experience over 4 Hondas (3 Civics and now the Fit) that the mileage improves until 5k miles and then levels off. When the orange alert light comes on, the range indicator displays at least 30 miles. I mentally add another 35.

Repeating myself, the gauges, lights, bars, and range estimates are at best SWAGs ... Scientific Wild Ass Guesses. Obviously YMMV
i am aware of all possible variables you mentioned. I'm an engineer, last one to get sucked into otherwise. The tank holds more than 10.6 gallons. You can convince yourself by doing what I did. The volume of the tank stays the same regardless of whether you are filling it with water or gasoline. It is that you might get less or more gasoline because of the temperature. The last 2 fill ups were below the 60 deg F. There is approximately a 1% change the density (weight/volume of the gasoline for every 10.5°C change in temperature. And, the gasoline is stored in underground tanks, which makes the temperature of the gasoline constant regardless of the ambient temperature. That's why they bury people 6 feet underground.

Last edited by wasserball; 01-01-2017 at 07:41 PM.
Old 01-01-2017, 11:37 PM
5 Year Member
And, the gasoline is stored in underground tanks, which makes the temperature of the gasoline constant regardless of the ambient temperature. That's why they bury people 6 feet underground.
Gee, and I thought that the 6 foot depth was to make it difficult for the zombies to dig out.

Seriously though, a really cold stretch (3-4 days between 0-40) will cause the gas below ground and in the ground to condense (shrink). Fill up early morning and there's "heat wave" to fifty or so. The gas in the car expands, possibly to the point of overflow if only a few nukes were driven.

Old 01-01-2017, 11:51 PM
5 Year Member
Gee, and I thought that the 6 foot depth was to make it difficult for the zombies to dig out.

Seriously though, a really cold stretch (3-4 days between 0-40) will cause the gas below ground and in the ground to condense (shrink). Fill up early morning and there's "heat wave" to fifty or so. The gas in the car expands, possibly to the point of overflow if only a few nukes were driven.
It doesn't matter. When you pump one gallon, you get one gallon, regardless of whether you are pumping gas at 40 deg or 100 deg, or if you are pumping water. The pump is measuring volume, not density of the volume. Now, because the weather is cold, the density of the gas is higher, therefore, you get more energy out of that one gallon. The pump still says you pumped one gallon. Get it? I know it is confusing, but so is what weighs more? A pound of cotton or a pound of steel?

Last edited by wasserball; 01-02-2017 at 12:29 AM.
Old 01-02-2017, 07:08 AM
5 Year Member
Go to Fuelly - Track and Compare your MPG and check on the mileage actual drivers are getting with almost any year, make, and model of car.

Quick Reply: Fuel Mileage Related Discussions