3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Fuel Mileage Related Discussions

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2016, 09:45 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ron3
I have 275 miles on my new lx and am averaging 43.2 mpg with about 60% hiway and 40% city. i drive like an old guy cause i am an old guy. also i run about 39 psi tire pressure.
It is possible that I'm even an older guy (75) but I don't exactly dotter. Got the car 5/1/15 and most of my driving is suburban, less than 1.8k, very short trips. Current overall average is approx. 34 mpg.

Just did an unplanned oil change because of filter leak. The nice folks at Crest Honda (a Sonic Automotive co.), did it for free. Even got a free cap (blue) to replace my red Honda cap from the long ago Civic Si.

Old 02-21-2016, 01:50 AM
My EX-L + Navi just hit 9000 Miles and car computer shows 32.3 MPG and Fuelly shows 31.2. I expect that # to keep going down as winter continues and I don't do much highway miles. So the on board is a bit inflated as most everyone has been seeing. As a comparison my now sold 2003 Mazda Protege5 with 211 tracked fill ups only got 23.3 mpg average so Im still happy as both cars have same horse power.

Last edited by Soon2015FitWillBeMine; 02-21-2016 at 01:59 AM.
Old 02-21-2016, 08:58 PM
5 Year Member
Doesn't the car have a 10 gallon tank? Why does the gas light turn on around the 7th-8th gallon?

Old 02-21-2016, 11:13 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Anthony_gk5
Doesn't the car have a 10 gallon tank? Why does the gas light turn on around the 7th-8th gallon?
Because Honda set it to be pessimistic to keep customers from becoming stranded. Suzuki did the same thing on my former SX4. Light comes on, I could go at least another 60 miles.

Old 02-22-2016, 07:30 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by KentFinn
I could go at least another 60 miles . . .
A fair warning if you are traveling in Montana and Wyoming.

Old 02-22-2016, 08:33 AM
5 Year Member
A car that gets great mileage doesn't always get great mileage. Bad weather or traffic conditions can turn that last gallon into nothing. The factory doesn't encourage playing chicken with the bottom of the tank.

That said, we had a warmer morning (27 degrees) and lighter traffic (school vacation) today. I haven't seen a 50 mpg morning run in months but I got 51.4 this morning! That sure beats seeing 42 or so once a week.

Old 02-26-2016, 06:11 AM
Originally Posted by Fit Charlie
A car that gets great mileage doesn't always get great mileage. Bad weather or traffic conditions can turn that last gallon into nothing. The factory doesn't encourage playing chicken with the bottom of the tank.

That said, we had a warmer morning (27 degrees) and lighter traffic (school vacation) today. I haven't seen a 50 mpg morning run in months but I got 51.4 this morning! That sure beats seeing 42 or so once a week.

I get about 5.5L per 100km and that's using the air con I'm in Australia been using the a/c for the past 2 months currently in summer, should start cooling down soon so no more a/c and I should get back to 4.7L. I checked this with doing 300km then fuelling back up till the pump tripped off once (I never try adding more gotta keep room for expansion) and by how much I put in it worked out I was in fact using 5.5 even though the meter says 6.0L/100km a bit off but I guess that's as close as they could get it especially went putting the foot down causes it to spike up 0.1-0.3L then going back to normal driving conditions doesn't really bring it back down.

It could be that honda doesn't want us damaging the fuel pump? I notice my fuel light comes on at about 5 dots from the E line I have however driven on the "E" dot for nearly 100km so it's pretty safe.

All combination of suburban driving and highway driving with a bit of congestion on the road. Glad fuel is 0.93c/litre much better than 1.40

I just realised this is the 3rd gen jazz/fit. mines 1st/GD1 2006 haha my bad.

Last edited by InsaneGenius; 02-26-2016 at 06:13 AM. Reason: wrong thread
Old 03-18-2016, 06:57 PM
5 Year Member
Miles per gallon program.

I wrote a program for gas cost and miles per gallon. It is written in VB6 and is a small 27k exe file. The link is MPG.exe.delete -- 29k

Downnload file to desktop. Rename file from MPG.EXE.DELETE TO MPG.EXE

CLICK ON FILE TO RUN

I had to change extension to get the EXE file to upload. Please put a comment here on how you like the program. I have more I have written and can make available.

James

Old 03-19-2016, 07:01 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by James Butler
Miles per gallon program.

I wrote a program for gas cost and miles per gallon. It is written in VB6 and is a small 27k exe file. The link is MPG.exe.delete -- 29k

Downnload file to desktop. Rename file from MPG.EXE.DELETE TO MPG.EXE

CLICK ON FILE TO RUN

I had to change extension to get the EXE file to upload. Please put a comment here on how you like the program. I have more I have written and can make available.

James
Thanks. I'll take a look. I use Automotive Wolf to keep track of all car info, and the Fuel section gives lots of info.

EDIT: Win8.1 wouldn't let me run it, so I'll have to look at it later and make some changes.

Last edited by SilverEX15; 03-19-2016 at 07:05 AM.
Old 03-19-2016, 09:43 PM
5 Year Member
SilverEX15 :

I have run my programs on windows XP,7 and windows 8. I have not tried on 8.1 . VB6 should be supported. Might need a DLL can not remember. Let me know what you find out.

James

Old 03-23-2016, 12:46 PM
I'm running 8.1 and it works fine.

Old 03-24-2016, 12:21 AM
5 Year Member
BenQuick :

Thanks for checking out the program and verifying it works on Windows 8.1 .
Hope you enjoy it. More software coming.

James

Old 03-31-2016, 12:45 AM
5 Year Member

Weather does have a lot to do with mileage. I'm far from being a hyper-miler freak, but after experience with 4 Hondas (a Civic wagon, 2 Civic Coupes (an EX and an Si.) and now a 2015 Fit EX), Hondas don't hit their stride until they hit about 5k miles.

The weather has changed here about 10 times since my last post on this subject (i.e. typical Tennessee), the Fit has changed a lot even with only 2k miles (ok, I'm old). Congested suburban, about 24 mpg now 30+; hilly interstate about 32, now 41!!. Early spring weather now and I think the best is yet to come. I've never owned a Honda that didn't eventually meet or beat EPA estimates.

Old 04-25-2016, 09:09 AM
Best with AC on and one drive through eating in car with engine running was 46.3 for a non interstate trip of just over 100 miles. Been averaging a little over 41 mpg everyday driving

Old 04-25-2016, 10:24 AM
5 Year Member
400 Miles on one tank.

I have a long commute that is mostly highway driving (about 73 miles each way). I bought a 2015 Fit (Manual EX-L) last fall mostly for the fuel economy. I did not opt for a hybrid something because most options would add about $10k to purchase price and not much additional fuel economy over Fit.

My one complaint about the Fit is the limited range. With my commute, I am stopping to fill up every other day. So I set out trying to cross the 400 mile mark on one tank of petrol. I reset trip 'A' every fill up and have been using cruise control set to 65mph. No AC this time of year in New Hampshire (no heat either, but don't think heat has much affect on fuel economy).

This morning after going about 7 miles past the '0 range' mark. I hit 400 miles!

Numbers are:
Fit Trip Computer Display:
Miles: 400.5
Fuel Economy: 46.5 mpg
Range: 0 miles (drove about 7 miles after it hit zero).

Gallons: 9.152
Mileage Computed: 400.5 / 9.152 = 43.76 mpg

I know the Fit has a 10.5 gallon tank, so in theory I should have been able to go another 40-50 miles? Maybe? But probably not a good idea . . .

Old 04-25-2016, 01:01 PM
5 Year Member
Welcome to the fun, Dave! MTs and hills are great for mpg.

Get a ScanGauge or an UltraGauge. Over a few tanks you can calibrate it so its numbers are believable (you just saw the OE calculation was optimistic by almost 3 mpg, disastrous if you want to stretch your tanks). Honda says my 13 has a 10.6 gallon tank so I built in a buffer by telling my UG that it holds 10.1.

Having a calibrated gauge won't just give you an accurate read on how much gas you have remaining, it'll tell you how you're doing. Instant mpg tells you what your foot is doing at the moment, but short trip is great for comparisons: Usually I get X on the way to work, ususally I'm at Y by the time I get to this hill, it turns out taking this route or this speed gets me better numbers. Long trip is your mpg for the tank and what you log (if you bother). I round out my display with coolant temp, fuel remaining and distance remaining.

I can't wait until things warm up and I can start seeing 500 mile tanks again- I hate having to leave early so I can stop for gas!

Old 04-25-2016, 02:10 PM
5 Year Member
N
Welcome to the fun, Dave! MTs and hills are great for mpg.

Get a ScanGauge or an UltraGauge. Over a few tanks you can calibrate it so its numbers are believable (you just saw the OE calculation was optimistic by almost 3 mpg, disastrous if you want to stretch your tanks). Honda says my 13 has a 10.6 gallon tank so I built in a buffer by telling my UG that it holds 10.1.

Having a calibrated gauge won't just give you an accurate read on how much gas you have remaining, it'll tell you how you're doing. Instant mpg tells you what your foot is doing at the moment, but short trip is great for comparisons: Usually I get X on the way to work, ususally I'm at Y by the time I get to this hill, it turns out taking this route or this speed gets me better numbers. Long trip is your mpg for the tank and what you log (if you bother). I round out my display with coolant temp, fuel remaining and distance remaining.

I can't wait until things warm up and I can start seeing 500 mile tanks again- I hate having to leave early so I can stop for gas!
No offense meant, but I think you hyper-milers are slightly nuts, but maybe you can verify some of the things I have found over close to 60 years of driving.
1) Steady throttle foot is better than cruise control on hilly roads. Cruise control plays with the setting to keep a constant speed. In my case, the right foot is steady enough (prosthetic since learning to drive at 16). I prefer manual transmissions.
2) Drafting 18 wheelers and Georgia overdrive are dangerous.
3) Windows up at speed is not more economical, regardless of "Myth Busters" experiment. Open interior is a big drag chute.
4) Clean cars do not get better gas mileage. Again Myth Busters "tested" dirty car and one with a thing clay coat with "dimples" all around. The clean car got the worst gas mileage. The dimples simulated the dimples on a golf ball or the rifling on a bullet ... each produce faster speeds and longer distances.

Just saying

Old 04-25-2016, 02:44 PM
5 Year Member
Can't confirm much there:

1) Steady foot and cruise can both be bad for mpg, depending on circumstances. Without a gauge, you'll never know which is which.
2) Following anything too closely is dangerous, and that's got nothing to do with aero load. On a similar note, Georgia overdrive, like most things, is dangerous if you do it dangerously.
3) Windows up does not open up the interior- it actually keeps the interior from becoming a big drag chute. Maybe watching Mythbusters got you talking in circles.
4) I can confirm that Mythbusters' testing reduces the value of any videotape it's recorded on.

Old 04-26-2016, 10:20 AM
5 Year Member
Usually I get X on the way to work, ususally I'm at Y by the time I get to this hill, it turns out taking this route or this speed gets me better numbers.
I've seen the same thing. Hills and temperature make a big difference. I can get over 50 MPG going into town and in the 40s coming home. Starting a trip with a warmed up engine also makes a huge difference. With the higher temperatures lately, my display regularly shows 40+ mpg, where it used to struggle to get out of the 30s in the winter.

Old 04-26-2016, 10:27 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by KentFinn
N

No offense meant, but I think you hyper-milers are slightly nuts, but maybe you can verify some of the things I have found over close to 60 years of driving.
1) Steady throttle foot is better than cruise control on hilly roads. Cruise control plays with the setting to keep a constant speed.

4) Clean cars do not get better gas mileage. Again Myth Busters "tested" dirty car and one with a thing clay coat with "dimples" all around. The clean car got the worst gas mileage. The dimples simulated the dimples on a golf ball or the rifling on a bullet ... each produce faster speeds and longer distances.

Just saying
When I can, I keep a steady foot on the pedal when going up hills. The speed drops, but the MPG gauge stays about the same. Of course, with traffic behind me, that's not possible. One of the main reasons for me to use CC is to avoid speeding tickets. We have overly aggressive police here with a 45 MPH limit on a four lane highway. I love CC.

I remember that episode of Mythbusters, especially the golf ball car. There are so many factors that can affect MPG. I just drive as economically as I can and use the A/C whenever I want. I have never been able to measure a MPG difference caused by A/C.

I have a Bluetooth unit attached to my OBD-II port, and that displays all sorts of info on the GPS screen. I tried using a splitter on the OBD port, but trying to get output to two devices leaves me with nothing at all.

Quick Reply: Fuel Mileage Related Discussions