3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Fuel Mileage Related Discussions

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2015, 09:10 PM
Im still only getting a combined 32 MPG with my 15 Fit.

Well see what happens this weekend when I take a nice lil trip to San Deigo.

Old 05-22-2015, 06:31 AM
Originally Posted by jukeboxx13
Im still only getting a combined 32 MPG with my 15 Fit.

Well see what happens this weekend when I take a nice lil trip to San Deigo.
Keep your fingers crossed that your trip is with the wind in both directions.

Old 05-24-2015, 01:19 AM
Alright I hit 37.5 mpg on my 164 mile round trip from Orange County to San Diego using premium 91 Mobil gas in my GK EX CVT. It also took half a tank for the full round trip.

I am not sure if that is good or not, but at least 50 or those miles were in stop and go traffic with the AC on, and with 2 adults/2 kids in the car as well. I was actually trying to drive conservative using both neutral and cruise control when I could, but also gunned it once or twice in sport mode to pass some really slow cars.

Top speed was 80 mph and steady speed was 70 mph. Again I dont know if 37.5 mpg is good for that trip, but I am satisfied and have no doubts this car can do better. Also if anyone cares my tire pressure was 40 psi in the front and 37 psi in the back when I checked before the trip.

ETA: My car had 600 miles before the trip so I believe it was broken in kinda sorta.

Old 05-24-2015, 07:11 AM
5 Year Member
Alright I hit 37.5 mpg on my 164 mile round trip from Orange County to San Diego using premium 91 Mobil gas in my GK EX CVT. It also took half a tank for the full round trip.

I am not sure if that is good or not, but at least 50 or those miles were in stop and go traffic with the AC on, and with 2 adults/2 kids in the car as well. I was actually trying to drive conservative using both neutral and cruise control when I could, but also gunned it once or twice in sport mode to pass some really slow cars.

Top speed was 80 mph and steady speed was 70 mph. Again I dont know if 37.5 mpg is good for that trip, but I am satisfied and have no doubts this car can do better. Also if anyone cares my tire pressure was 40 psi in the front and 37 psi in the back when I checked before the trip.

ETA: My car had 600 miles before the trip so I believe it was broken in kinda sorta.
Considering the conditions - four people, 70-80 MPH, and stop and go, that's not bad. The premium gas was a waste of money. With the electronics on modern cars a premium car could actually "get by" with regular without pinging. I have 33 psi in my tires. You have to consider comfort, tire grip, tire wear, and extra bumping of all the car's components when it hits a bump.

Old 05-24-2015, 07:23 AM
If you've been averaging 32 mpg up to this point, you should be pleased with 37.5. Especially, as Silver pointed out, in those driving conditions. And I second it, stick with regular gas, there's no perceptible difference between regular and premium, except maybe a lighter wallet. If you want to further improve your fuel efficiency, you'll want to stay away from those higher speeds whenever possible.

Old 05-24-2015, 11:20 AM
I am pleased with the 37.5, and thanks guys for the advice on gas.

Maybe Im gullable, but I like to believe premium makes my car preform better and last longer.

Old 05-24-2015, 11:39 AM
Just drove 300 miles total yesterday from LA to Fresno. I averaged 46mpg for the first 250 miles of mostly highway driving and am very pleased with that. Once I drove about the extra 50 miles around town, it dropped down to 44mpg before having to fill up. Overall, that is exceptional! The only car that I've owned that has beat that is the Daihatsu Charade, but it is a weak, tin can of a car compared to the Fit with plenty of compromises

The fuel economy is one of my favorite things about the Fit.

Over the 2700 miles total on the car, I have averaged 37mpg in mostly LA driving during its lifetime

Last edited by festiboi; 05-24-2015 at 11:43 AM.
Old 05-26-2015, 09:16 AM
5 Year Member
Instant Fuel Economy - Console Display

On the computer touchscreen console... for the "Instant Fuel Economy", is it suppose to just show the bar graph? Somehow I thought that I saw also a numeric representation next to the bar graph on the right. Not sure...

Can someone please confirm for me?

Many thanks!

Old 05-26-2015, 11:53 AM
5 Year Member
Without going out to the car, I'm pretty sure it just shows the graph (no number) for the Instant Fuel Economy.

es

Old 05-26-2015, 11:59 AM
5 Year Member
Great thanks. I don't find the bar that helpful....especially since it fluctuates so easily.

Old 05-26-2015, 12:01 PM
5 Year Member
Numbers would, no doubt, fluctuate just as much, making them pretty much useless. I just play "keep the bar graph as far to the right as I can" when I'm driving for economy.

Old 05-26-2015, 01:05 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Nicbeau
I've got an LX CVT and I'm only getting around 35-36/mpg! The highway I drive is hilly and my commute is only 11 miles each way so I don't have a hope in hell of reaching these 40+mpg numbers you guys are reporting! Man, I gotta move out to the Midwest. All that flat land... It would be so wonderful to drive and watch my mpg climb!
I've got about 700 feet of elevation change between home and work, and there are lots of hills on the way.

Hills are opportunutues for good mileage.

Old 05-26-2015, 01:15 PM
Drove from San Diego to our local mountains today. Elevation gain of about 4,500 feet. Got 40.5 mpg. Steady 70 on freeway portions, but also plenty of windy mountain roads.

Old 05-26-2015, 01:30 PM
Originally Posted by Fit Charlie
I've got about 700 feet of elevation change between home and work, and there are lots of hills on the way.

Hills are opportunutues for good mileage.
They are, downhill I'll regain at least half a mpg. But I've also learned that I don't have the patience to get good mileage. I get too annoyed by people going 65 in front of me. Turns out, my preferred speed is 80. So until I get some more patience, I'm gonna have to settle for mid to high 30s!

Old 05-26-2015, 01:45 PM
5 Year Member
Instant is most useful with trip and short trip numbers, resetting the trip with each fill up (the short trip resets when you start the engine).

The instrumentation isn't about how high a number you can get the screen to show right now, but what is the trend and can you make it go upward? If you usually get 40 mpg on your morning commute, how are you doing this morning and what is different today- traffic, weather, your route, some difference in technique?

With real information you can learn a lot more about your car, the roads, the traffic and your right foot. The Feel Good Bar of Mileage is a joke. Look into a ScanGauge or an UltraGauge. They look like more than you want to spend, but either one will probably pay for itself before you're even done figuring out just how your car burns gas.

Old 05-26-2015, 02:03 PM
5 Year Member
Look into your preferred speed. Check time and mileage on a couple of your routes to see what your average speed really is- it's probably way below 80. Most people think they "drive to work at 70 (80, 90, whatever)" and will be late if they spend any time below that speed, but they don't actually cruise at that speed. Most of your time is spent at 65 wishing you were doing 80 and trying to get up there or you'll be late, with a few meaninglessly short sprints to 80.

If you change your target speed to 70, you'll probably find that your average speed doesn't change at all, you still get to work on time and you're less stressed because you spent less time below your target speed and weren't as far below it when you were being held up.

Your mileage will start climbing immediately and you'll still get where you're going on time.

Old 05-26-2015, 03:12 PM
sws
Great advice Fit Charlie.

Old 05-27-2015, 06:28 AM
Originally Posted by kbonus
Drove from San Diego to our local mountains today. Elevation gain of about 4,500 feet. Got 40.5 mpg. Steady 70 on freeway portions, but also plenty of windy mountain roads.
I assume the 40.5mpg was for the round trip, otherwise if you got 40.5 just driving one way up the mountains, I bow down to you.

Welcome back sws! Got things figured out?

Festiboi, those are impressive numbers.

Old 05-27-2015, 06:44 AM
Originally Posted by Nicbeau
I've also learned that I don't have the patience to get good mileage. I get too annoyed by people going 65 in front of me. Turns out, my preferred speed is 80. So until I get some more patience, I'm gonna have to settle for mid to high 30s!
Nicbeau, I completely understand what you're saying. I used to drive in such a way that the most important thing was to get from point A to point B as fast as possible. So much in fact that by the time I was 17, I had accumulated enough speeding tickets to lose my license for 3 months. When I began hypermiling, it was a double bonus for me, no more speeding tickets and less fuel used (I guess it was actually a triple bonus since I also became a safer driver). It was difficult at first to retrain my "faster is better" mindset, but now I don't look back and I thoroughly enjoy the challenge of becoming more fuel efficient and increasing my mpg.

Old 05-27-2015, 07:35 AM
Originally Posted by FitfulKenny
On the computer touchscreen console... for the "Instant Fuel Economy", is it suppose to just show the bar graph? Somehow I thought that I saw also a numeric representation next to the bar graph on the right. Not sure...

Can someone please confirm for me?

Many thanks!
Instant mpg is one of the items I have set on my ScanGauge and I monitor it constantly as it is instrumental in the "game" of fuel efficiency. I agree that the bar graph is not nearly as useful as having a number read-out. I actually never look at the Fit's bar graph.

Quick Reply: Fuel Mileage Related Discussions