3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Fuel Mileage Related Discussions

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2015, 01:45 PM
Originally Posted by kellyjoy
Three fillups so far on my Fit and my Fuelly account is showing an average of 7.5L/100km or 31.2 MPG. While not as high as some of the numbers on this thread, this is excellent for me considering I primarily (80%+) do heavy city driving, short trips, and I don't baby the car at all. Last tank I left it on Sport mode most of the time so I think this is quite good and I'm very pleased so far!
Thats awesome Kelly! IT will get better yet.

Old 03-27-2015, 05:40 PM
5 Year Member
EX manual MPG

I have been getting 43 to 44 MPG this winter. About 90 percent highway and 10 percent city driving. Highway speed 55 to 60 MPH. Since it has warmed up I did 47.1 MPG last week on the tank. Will see how it does when weather warms up a little more. I am very pleased.

Old 03-27-2015, 06:18 PM
Originally Posted by tmfit
Thats awesome Kelly! IT will get better yet.
I'm hoping with spring approaching it will get even better! Such a positive change because my prior '13 Elantra was averaging 23ish MPG!

Old 03-27-2015, 08:44 PM
Originally Posted by kellyjoy
I'm hoping with spring approaching it will get even better! Such a positive change because my prior '13 Elantra was averaging 23ish MPG!
Wow, and I thought the 30mpg in my Elantra was bad!

I'm getting about 39 mpg with 3 fill ups. A lot of city driving and commute traffic.

Old 03-30-2015, 07:05 AM
Originally Posted by James Butler
I have been getting 43 to 44 MPG this winter. About 90 percent highway and 10 percent city driving. Highway speed 55 to 60 MPH. Since it has warmed up I did 47.1 MPG last week on the tank. Will see how it does when weather warms up a little more. I am very pleased.
Nice numbers Butler, keep it up.

Old 03-30-2015, 07:25 AM
Mileage

THis is my first 4 months with the fit EX with CVT. I got it when it was starting to get cold and my mileage was running in the high 30's. Now that it's getting warmer, my mileage is running around 42. I wondered if the difference was winterized gas at the gas stations and now they've changed over to summer mix, but this morning we had a cold snap and my mileage on the way to work dropped off back into the high 30's. Never realized that gas mileage was so dependent on temperature.

Most of my driving is on secondary roads. Since I go to work at 5am when there are few cars on the road, I've been able to play with the gas mileage with relation to speed... drove to work at around 45mph one day and got >52mpg. Went to a neighboring city over the weekend at 80mph on the interstate and mileage dropped to around 37mpg.

Just my observations.

Old 03-30-2015, 07:35 AM
Originally Posted by ai4px
THis is my first 4 months with the fit EX with CVT. I got it when it was starting to get cold and my mileage was running in the high 30's. Now that it's getting warmer, my mileage is running around 42. I wondered if the difference was winterized gas at the gas stations and now they've changed over to summer mix, but this morning we had a cold snap and my mileage on the way to work dropped off back into the high 30's. Never realized that gas mileage was so dependent on temperature.

Most of my driving is on secondary roads. Since I go to work at 5am when there are few cars on the road, I've been able to play with the gas mileage with relation to speed... drove to work at around 45mph one day and got >52mpg. Went to a neighboring city over the weekend at 80mph on the interstate and mileage dropped to around 37mpg.

Just my observations.
And your observations are exactly how it should be. Steady driving at 40-45 mph will net a very high mpg.

Old 03-30-2015, 08:37 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ai4px

Just my observations.
The lower mileage is from a combination of longer warm-up time and the winter gas mix. Gas won't switch over to the summer blend till the weather is warm enough - depending where you live. A trip average of 50+ isn't unusual for me.

Old 04-01-2015, 08:36 AM
5 Year Member
Gas Mileage -Right On

This has happened several times lately. The mileage displayed on the dash is the same as I calculated. Today, both results indicated 40.9.

Old 04-01-2015, 12:35 PM
5 Year Member
Now balance an egg on its tip!

Old 04-01-2015, 01:09 PM
5 Year Member
Well, even a clock that doesn't run is right twice a day.

Old 04-01-2015, 11:51 PM
Not if it's a digital clock. If it didn't work the digital display would either be blank or 00:00. If 00:00 and set to military time it would only be correct once a day ;>)

Last edited by jtvisions; 04-02-2015 at 12:26 AM.
Old 04-02-2015, 06:45 AM
Originally Posted by SilverEX15
This has happened several times lately. The mileage displayed on the dash is the same as I calculated. Today, both results indicated 40.9.
Does it fluctuate between being the same and being a few mpg off? Meaning, in between the times where they are the same is your actual calculation a few mpg below the gauge? Its all a matter of how full you fill the tank each time, it's almost impossible to fill it to the exact same level each fill, unless you fill it completely to the top every time.

Old 04-02-2015, 07:31 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GoBucky
Does it fluctuate between being the same and being a few mpg off? Meaning, in between the times where they are the same is your actual calculation a few mpg below the gauge? Its all a matter of how full you fill the tank each time, it's almost impossible to fill it to the exact same level each fill, unless you fill it completely to the top every time.
Yes, it does vary, one way or the other. I generally stop pumping as soon as the pump clicks off. However, if the prices of gas has been rising, I'll try to get in all I can.

I figure the dash display is just for general information, and it helps me to drive more conservatively to get better mileage.

Old 04-02-2015, 07:33 AM
Wow, 56 degrees for my ride in this morning, coupled with a 10 mph tail wind equals a record commute. I wonder if we ditched the winter gas here yet? If not, we got that to look forward to.

Old 04-02-2015, 07:42 AM
I figure the dash display is just for general information, and it helps me to drive more conservatively to get better mileage.
Agreed, that dash display is one of the best incentives to changing your driving style. To be able to monitor your progress is invaluable. Having a ScanGauge as well as all the info the Fit provides, I've got numbers coming out of my a**.

Old 04-02-2015, 11:22 AM

I presume that is highway driving. Mine is dead accurate on the highway, but off by 10 % in city driving. Funny, I talked to my dealer about it, and that my Pontiac was dead accurate in all situations. He said :" Well, this isn't a Pontiac." I told him: "No, it isn't. It is supposed to be better than a Pontiac." He walked away.

Old 04-02-2015, 11:34 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Stingray
I presume that is highway driving. Mine is dead accurate on the highway, but off by 10 % in city driving. Funny, I talked to my dealer about it, and that my Pontiac was dead accurate in all situations. He said :" Well, this isn't a Pontiac." I told him: "No, it isn't. It is supposed to be better than a Pontiac." He walked away.
Mostly highway. I don't do much stop and go driving, but my son does, and his mileage is similar.

Old 04-03-2015, 12:13 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Stingray
lol That would have been funny to witness, but would have pissed me off with a response like that.

Old 04-03-2015, 11:31 AM
I have an MT and try to glide on neutral when going downhill to increase mpg, however, this advice from someone who posted on Fuelly Fuel Saving Tips suggests differently. What are your thoughts, neutral or highest gear when going downhill?? Is it different between MT and CVT??

"While going downhill, don't drive in Neutral gear. Instead drive in the highest gear and don't put your foot on gas. This will prevent the vehicle from speeding and at the same time reduce fuel consumption as compared to the case when you drive on neutral and the fuel is constantly being fed to the motor for idling. This will reduce the braking as well."

Last edited by 2015FIT; 04-03-2015 at 11:33 AM.

Quick Reply: Fuel Mileage Related Discussions