3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Rookie Test Drive (First Impressions...)

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2014, 02:58 AM
Rookie Test Drive (First Impressions...)

Whats up my people. I'm super glad this place exists for me to be able to tap during a confusing time like this. I've got a hyperactive brain that needs to be calmed down. No matter what I grab a hold of, I'm a dog with a bone. IE When I was in college, I had to beat HALO the first time I played it...even though I had a paper due the next morning. (Sacrifices need to be made) Once I've got my attention on something, I can't let go. Enter the Fit.

Last Tuesday, my 06 Element broke down (transmission), had to part with it (150K miles on it...I rode it hard...it was time to go) and here I am driving my bro's 02 Honda Accord until I can buy a new one. I loved my Element and wanted to find an apt replacement since they discontinued it. Without a ride and home on vacation from work, I began researching new cars - trying to find the one to replace it. I was looking for an affordable car (under $20K) with MPG better than the 23 I was getting, durability, a spacious interior and fun to drive. US News & World Report, Edmunds, Kelley Blue Book, and a slew of other publications all touted the 15 Fit...so I looked into it. At this point, the bone entered my mouth. Not only did I join this forum (without having ever owned a FIT), but I watched video after video after video review on YouTube (in languages I couldn't even understand), I ventured to the Honda website daily - waiting for them to update their page so I could build my ideal Fit. I read reviews, frequently googled images hoping to get a clearer glimpse, and like a creeper, I've been driving around my neighborhood looking for Fits so I could get a tangible sense of what it might be like to own one (even if they are the older models). Mostly to get a sense of what color I wanted. Like most of you, I've been anxiously awaiting updates...wondering when they'd be delivered to my local dealer so I could actually test drive one. And so it happened...today.

Last Friday, I put my name on a list with Buena Park Honda for an Alabaster Silver EX-L. They told me they'd call once it arrived. To my shock, last night I noticed Honda's website had been updated. I called BPH and sure enough, some cars had come in. But not mine yet. Antsy, I called another dealership (Honda World OC) after noticing they had my model advertised on their website as 'in stock'. I was told by the salesperson Ray that it was in stock. So I drove over to check it out - only to find out he lied. It wasn't. He just wanted my foot in the door I guess. But nonetheless I met a cool Fit Owner who gave me a test drive in a Red EX. Because I wasn't satisfied with that one, I drove to Irvine Honda and test drove another one! Here are my initial, unfiltered, virgin impressions and I'm asking those of you who feel so inclined to jump in to help me out.

1) I gotta say, I really dig the look much better in person.

2) I was concerned about the loss of headroom and thus passenger comfort (I was absolutely spoiled by my Element) so I sat in the back seat for the first trip around the block. I'm 6'0" and fit comfortably (though an obvious pun, it was not intended) in the back. If I leaned back, my head would hit the ceiling. But I really had to try. All in all, I was satisfied with passenger room and comfort.

Edit: In hindsight, the rear seat headrest feature is cool. When there's no one in the back, they fold down to provide a better rear view for the driver. Got passengers? Pop em up.

For the second time around the block, I was allowed to drive.

3) My immediate impression was how comfortable the seat was. Great lumbar support (I have had chronic low back issues since High School).

4) What was not so comfortable, however, was the super awkward low placement of the center storage console armrest. I don't get it. My bro's 2002 Accord's is perfectly placed. This one I could barely reach. Stoked on the storage capacity though.

5) The touchscreen for me was lacking. Would have been cool if Apple had designed it. Most notably, the volume control was really stiff. Good thing controls are available on the steering wheel.

Okay...to the nitty gritty

6) Great visibility but I would like to see my hood a little more. I suppose there's 17 years of conditioning to blame. I had a downward angle on on my hood with my Toyota Tacoma and Honda Element. Suppose I'll get used to it though.

7) Push button start is crazy. Magic key even moreso.

8) Acceleration felt softer than what I'm used to. I'm used to a little more resistance. (Sorry I'm a car layman...I don't know how else to describe it)

9) The engine NOISE. Man...that is something I'm definitely not used to. Perhaps it's normal to everyone else? This, right now, is a pretty big deterrent for me. Could this be why 2013 Fits are stockpiled on car lots? Totally curious. I only read about this but to experience it was something else. I don't mind noise - but I don't know if it would get old after a while? Perhaps it will settle in to ambient/background noise and I won't even notice it? Is this something you FIT owners had to adjust to? Is this typical across the line for all subcompacts?

10) I now understand the C in CTV. What an out of box feeling to experience no shifting while accelerating. I didn't mind it. It certainly had enough get up and go for me. But horsepower...how does this bad boy handle hills? I've got a massive hill climb between my mother-in-law and me via the Toll Roads. Based on my test drives, I don't know if this thing could hang?

11) Lane view feature is unique and can be helpful but it seems like it could be a big distraction as well? Rear back up cam is great. I just don't know how much I'm willing to spend on the EX package if I'm not overly excited about the Infotainment option. I did fine for nearly 10 years with an iPod attacment in my glove compartment. Perhaps I'd be fine with LX? Put in my own maybe? Or maybe the 10 seconds I played with it wasn't enough. Perhaps I'm ignorant to its potential?

12) Should I buy this car, I really would like to know - leather or fabric seats? I was told that my leather seats might start wearing down faster in sunny Southern California. But then again, the last two cars I had had fabric interiors and in both driver seats were huge rips in the seams. To leather or not to leather?

Curious to hear your reactions. I really want to buy one but I'm stuck on the noise factor and because I was unable to drive it for a long stretch on the freeway, I'm curious about how noise and acceleration translate there...especially with inclines in play. And should this be resolved - the question of leather or no leather still has me going back and forth. Thoughts?

Last edited by ReduxInflux; 06-11-2014 at 11:52 PM.
Old 06-11-2014, 03:38 AM
5 Year Member
Leather is harder to maintain, but easier to clean (if that makes any sense). When leather wears out it looks baaaaaad.

CVT, well it won't ever feel as solid as an actual gear. You shouldn't have to worry about hill climbs and stuff, CVTs can handle it.

Noise, it might sound even worse with the CVT because of the linear whiny noise.

I'm not a fan of the GK's styling to begin with, and I'm a bit biased to the past two generations which were true Honda's, in my opinion, no CVTs, straight up automatic or manual. No fussy tech, and just a sense of connection which Honda's are known for.

But then again, that's just me.

Old 06-11-2014, 04:49 AM
5 Year Member
You are asking from feedback from a forum full of members who have not been as lucky as you have to Drive a 2015 Fit. I am puzzled about your concerns about power, as the new Fit should be as fast or somewhat faster than the Element you owned or your brothers 2002 Accord. And according to Car and Driver testing, it should be generally quieter than the Element was in normal driving.

But the BIG difference is the CVT and that transmission is new to the Fit. As I stated before, I do not like the way a CVT responds to abrupt throttle inputs. They roar to a head, and then level off at a drone as you accelerate. Then, as you let off throttle, they quiet down and cruise very quietly and smoothly at speed, as long as you are not abruptly accelerating. It is a dynamic that is unique to CVTs. If you are always light on the throttle, you may never even notice this, but as you described your driving style as accelerating quickly to speed, then you better get used to the roar, or get a manual transmission, where you have more control over the sound the engine produces.

Your concern about how the car will sound and respond on a steep grade is something I think many of us would like to know. The CVT should be smoother than a conventional automatic transmission. That may spend time gear hunting on grades. But a manual transmission is usually a better choice if mountains are part of your regular driving. Or get a car with significantly more power than a fit.

Last edited by TCroly; 06-11-2014 at 04:52 AM.
Old 06-11-2014, 06:31 AM
Perhaps the expectations of the CVT are what is confusing people. I expect there to be noise from it just from past experience of variable speed clutch assemblies on motorized toys like snow mobiles and such.

Will be interesting to see if it is louder than I anticipate or quieter. I think your perception has all the control of what you hear.

Old 06-11-2014, 10:33 AM
Originally Posted by TCroly
You are asking from feedback from a forum full of members who have not been as lucky as you have to Drive a 2015 Fit.
True. But this is also a forum for Fit 'Freaks' I've never been in one before let alone driven one. I figure if the 2015 is an improvement over the previous generations, insight from you guys would be invaluable as you're all stoked on the base models? I'm transitioning from 17 years in a Toyota Tacoma and Honda Element. I'm totally unfamiliar with the subcompact segment and thus, my expectations may be skewed.

But the BIG difference is the CVT and that transmission is new to the Fit.
Ahh..and here lies the disconnect. Makes sense. In this case, I'm looking forward to reading other test drive testimonials.

If you are always light on the throttle, you may never even notice this, but as you described your driving style as accelerating quickly to speed, then you better get used to the roar, or get a manual transmission, where you have more control over the sound the engine produces. Your concern about how the car will sound and respond on a steep grade is something I think many of us would like to know.
I haven't toyed with a manual since high school. I really wish test drives could be a day long so I could see how day to day driving would be. A quick jaunt around the block wasn't enough.

The CVT should be smoother than a conventional automatic transmission. That may spend time gear hunting on grades. But a manual transmission is usually a better choice if mountains are part of your regular driving. Or get a car with significantly more power than a fit.
Yeah, it was smoother for sure. But like you mentioned before, it definitely drones. I think right now, I'm at an impass. I can't have it all. The FIT is perfect for me in every regard except for the noise and suspect power (perceived that is). Like I said, I wish I could rent one for a day.

Thanks for responding

Old 06-11-2014, 10:47 AM
5 Year Member
2013 stockpiling lots because of engine noise? What the hell are you talking about? Fits have continually sold out year after year and you'd be hard-pressed to find a 2013 now. The delay of the 2015 has created an availability gap to where NO Fits have been on most lots for about a month and a half.

Old 06-11-2014, 01:10 PM
5 Year Member
I've not had experience w/ CVT's, but based upon my experience & expectations between the automatic and manual transmissions, I'm solidly in the manual camp. With small engines, a manual gives YOU better control. One complaint that I've heard from friends with auto's, is how the transmission hunts for the right gear when utilizing cruise control; something that I DON'T experience w/ my manual. Maybe you can find a dealer that allow you a day or two test drive on a used Fit?
'12 VBP Sport 5MT w/minor appearance & comfort mods!!

Old 06-11-2014, 01:17 PM
I have a bit of experience with a CVT on steep grades. I have a Prius C which is a small hatchback hybrid with CVT. We are talking 99 combined HP with the 2 engines- not a lot of power. But took it into the mountains here in CO and it performed better than I expected. Yes, CVT drones. But I stopped noticing it really, and from what I read the Prius C has much worse road noise than the new (or old) Fit and even that wasn't that bad. Took it on 6 and 6 1/2% grades- the kind that include runaway trailer lanes on the way down. Worked great, no complaints. And I would expect the Fit to perform better.

In terms of a manual, I don't drive one, but I don't think I would want to drive one on grades since it's such constantly changing terrain you would be shifting constantly I would think. Even driving a standard automatic through grades can get annoying because you can't speed up, then it shifts, then you rocket ahead, then you put on your brakes, etc. CVT was more consistent experience IMO. You get used to the noise and once you reach a speed to maintain on a fairly flat stretch it gets MUCH quieter, quieter than standard auto IMO (not talking about electric engine here.)

Old 06-11-2014, 01:24 PM
Good Post Amy!

Old 06-11-2014, 01:50 PM
I have been driving a 2015 CVT Fit 2015 since May 29, so let me offer some thoughts.

Performance: the CVT will be fine on grades. I have driven some pretty steep grades here in the San Diego area, and there is plenty of reserve power and no problem reaching or maintaining a desired speed. I am not racing, but drive "briskly" when I want to. The paddle shifters add to that performance. The 2015 is better than my prior 2009 Fit, responds faster.

Noise: The CVT has a very different sound compared to the prior AT of the 2009 version. The engine does whine (like any small, high RPM engine) when you push hard on the accelerator. The difference is that as you move the throttle, the engine tracks with the sound, rather than settling into an RPM or sound in an individual gear on a conventional automatic transmission. The sound is noticeable and unique. But to me, the volume on acceleration is comparable to the acceleration sound my older 2009 Fit.

But when you are settled at speed, the engine RPM and sound settles too. At 70 mph on level highway, the engine turns something like 2300 RPM (see my performance report in the other thread).

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-...15-red-ex.html

In short, performance should be no issue. The 2015 performs better than the prior model (certainly does compared to my old 2009) and does fine in all of the driving I've encountered so far. Sound is intensely personal, and you will have to decide how you handle it. It is not objectionable to me, and I actually use it as an indicator of how I manage the accelerator. I shoot for a steady windup to the rate of acceleration I want, then hold it till I get to speed. Winding roads and such, the sound just tracks with the RPM.

This isn't a Lexus...but it's a lot more flexible, useful, and fun. IMO

Last edited by Brianflys; 06-11-2014 at 01:55 PM.
Old 06-11-2014, 01:56 PM
Originally Posted by tmfit
Good Post Amy!
Ditto!

Old 06-11-2014, 02:06 PM
Good Post Amy!
I try

Old 06-11-2014, 05:23 PM
Having owned an Element for many years, I am not sure how any of the Fit's motors (A1, A7 or B) could be louder or slower than the totally anemic K24 and absurdly low highway gears they put in that boat. Loud and slow as an elephant despite the gearing. Definitely slower than the Fit, any of them... well maybe not the automatics, idk i've never driven one.

It's got less torque than you're used to, that's why it feels slower/different, but it's probably not actually any slower.

To get the full Fit experience get the manual. No low displacement small car is complete without one. Bring on the hate

Thank you for the first impression and welcome to the boards.

Old 06-11-2014, 05:52 PM
Good Post Amy!
Total concurage. Thanks Amy

This is probably old news but it opened my eyes to my problem: Expectation/Familiarity

from cars.about.com article on the CVT:

Disadvantages of the CVT

The CVT's biggest problem has been user acceptance. Because the CVT allows the engine to rev at any speed, the noises coming from under the hood sound odd to ears accustomed to conventional manual and automatic transmissions. The gradual changes in engine note sound like a sliding transmission or a slipping clutch -- signs of trouble with a conventional transmission, but perfectly normal for a CVT. Flooring an automatic car brings a lurch and a sudden burst of power, whereas CVTs provide a smooth, rapid increase to maximum power. To some drivers this makes the car feel slower, when in fact a CVT will generally out-accelerate an automatic.
Automakers have gone to great lengths to make the CVT feel more like a conventional transmission. Many CVTs are programmed to simulate the "kick-down" feel of a regular automatic when the pedal is floored, and some CVTs offer a "manual" mode with steering-wheel-mounted paddle shifters that simulates a conventional stepped transmission.
Because early automotive CVTs were limited as to how much horsepower they could handle, there has been some concern about the long-term reliability of the CVT. Advanced technology has made the CVT much more robust. Nissan has more than a million CVTs in service around the world and says their long-term reliability is comparable to conventional transmissions.

Old 06-11-2014, 06:03 PM
@ikutoisahobo - good point about the leather. im considering an ex now (with seat covers)

@theindiearmy - you're absolutely right. i don't know what the hell i'm talking about. that's why i'm here. good thing my post isn't journalistic. just thinking out loud. you raise a great point which makes total sense.

@BrianFlys - Dude, I totally appreciate you stepping up to address my concerns (on multiple threads now) Your experience has been really helpful. Thanks.

@Wanderer/tmfit/fittman- Yeah, I think its total perception (the article from about.com I think helped frame my problem). And again, I didn't have the most robust of test drives.

thanks everyone

Old 06-11-2014, 06:18 PM
Originally Posted by Wanderer.
To get the full Fit experience get the manual. No low displacement small car is complete without one. Bring on the hate
You want hate? I gotch yer hate right here!

I hate manual transmission when I am driving through the stop & go traffic so common on our Southern California freeways and arterials. It is such a pain to constantly play the clutch and accelerator in and out, and brake between, while going 0-10 mph. I did that for many years in the little red Honda Del Sol.

I loved the MT when on the open freeway, or winding mountain and desert roads, With the hatch roof stowed and all 3 windows down, it was way too much fun.

But UGH, that congestion, on the every growing rush hour periods. Getting cramps in my legs doing that insane clutch/gas stairmaster. Finally decided to go back to an AT, and have learned to live with it ever since.

So get rid of the rest of the traffic; give me LOS A , and I'll happily get a MT.

Old 06-11-2014, 06:22 PM
Originally Posted by ReduxInflux
Total concurage. Thanks Amy

This is probably old news but it opened my eyes to my problem: Expectation/Familiarity

from cars.about.com article on the CVT:
This is a great pull. Thank you!

Really describes the perception issue with the CVT. That's why I have called the CVT experience "different" in my earlier posts, rather than bad or noisy, or a problem.

Old 06-11-2014, 07:10 PM
5 Year Member
New Fit test drive considerations

I own a 2009 manual Fit Sport that I bought new. Mine is quick enough except with a combination of A/C, 4 people, and hill merging onto a highway at speed. This is a seldom combination for me, but a CVT is likely significantly slower than a manual. I would test drive the 2015 with this combination of hill, weight, and A/C so you will know worst case. The noise does bother me above 60 to 65 and some road surfaces are much noisier than others. Also, bad roads can border on punishing, but mine has 83K on it and shocks may not be like new. The manual revs faster than the auto, so you might have less noise in a CVT with lower revs. I would try with radio on and radio off. I am bothered much more with noise with radio off. Car has been really close to trouble free--impressive!

I would test drive the Mazda 3, if I were you. The 2 liter gets similar EPA mileage as new Fit (maybe even better), but has more power, faster acceleration, and 6 spd manual or 6 sp. automatic--no cvt. The Fit may have slightly more interior space, even though it is smaller. Also, unless you wait for supply to catch up with demand, you are likely to get more off list on the Mazda 3. 2015 Fit starts at MSRP $16,215 and 2014 Mazda 3 Hatch starts at $19,740, so you will probably pay more, although the Mazda 3 stripper sedan starts at $17,740. Mazda has 0.9% financing that might save you something. Honda does not list special financing deals on 2015 Fit.

I have no personal experience with any Mazda--never owned or have driven one. Just know what I've read, and it is quite good on Mazda 3.

Old 06-11-2014, 07:36 PM
Originally Posted by Brianflys
You want hate? I gotch yer hate right here!

I hate manual transmission when I am driving through the stop & go traffic so common on our Southern California freeways and arterials. It is such a pain to constantly play the clutch and accelerator in and out, and brake between, while going 0-10 mph. I did that for many years in the little red Honda Del Sol.

I loved the MT when on the open freeway, or winding mountain and desert roads, With the hatch roof stowed and all 3 windows down, it was way too much fun.

But UGH, that congestion, on the every growing rush hour periods. Getting cramps in my legs doing that insane clutch/gas stairmaster. Finally decided to go back to an AT, and have learned to live with it ever since.

So get rid of the rest of the traffic; give me LOS A , and I'll happily get a MT.

No I understand kind of. The Fit's clutch is so easy and light though, and it's almost impossible to stall the car. I commute through one of the most heavily congested routes through Silicon Valley every day in traffic.

LA traffic is different than Bay traffic though... you guys ride bumper to bumper, don't leave space and stop and go all day long. I commuted in LA with my MT Fit too for a year or so, and in my old Corolla for years before that, it wasn't bad at all, just use 2nd gear and leave some space and don't get mad if people pull in front of you. It takes some zen to do but just "serenity now" and you'll be good.

I understand though.

But you know the MT is better, so that's good lol

Old 06-11-2014, 07:39 PM
Originally Posted by hspatz
I own a 2009 manual Fit Sport that I bought new. Mine is quick enough except with a combination of A/C, 4 people, and hill merging onto a highway at speed. This is a seldom combination for me, but a CVT is likely significantly slower than a manual. I would test drive the 2015 with this combination of hill, weight, and A/C so you will know worst case. The noise does bother me above 60 to 65 and some road surfaces are much noisier than others. Also, bad roads can border on punishing, but mine has 83K on it and shocks may not be like new. The manual revs faster than the auto, so you might have less noise in a CVT with lower revs. I would try with radio on and radio off. I am bothered much more with noise with radio off. Car has been really close to trouble free--impressive!

I would test drive the Mazda 3, if I were you. The 2 liter gets similar EPA mileage as new Fit (maybe even better), but has more power, faster acceleration, and 6 spd manual or 6 sp. automatic--no cvt. The Fit may have slightly more interior space, even though it is smaller. Also, unless you wait for supply to catch up with demand, you are likely to get more off list on the Mazda 3. 2015 Fit starts at MSRP $16,215 and 2014 Mazda 3 Hatch starts at $19,740, so you will probably pay more, although the Mazda 3 stripper sedan starts at $17,740. Mazda has 0.9% financing that might save you something. Honda does not list special financing deals on 2015 Fit.

I have no personal experience with any Mazda--never owned or have driven one. Just know what I've read, and it is quite good on Mazda 3.
My husband has a Mazda 3 hatch. TO be honest, I love that car. However, I reaaaallly have issues driving the same car as him. It IS super fun to drive though, but you have to pay more for the cool features as the FIT.

Quick Reply: Rookie Test Drive (First Impressions...)