3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

MODS/ACCESSORIES for the GK

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2017, 12:41 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by KentFinn
The latter part of your rant would probably be more appropriate in a WRX forum than here.

I spend most of my time on WRX forums, FB pages or forums/pages that are SCCA or racing related. I come here for mod threads or parts for sale. Picked up a set of aluminum Borbet wheels for my winter tires for $60 off this forum. There was a set of Enkei RPF1 listed at $500 about 2 hours drive from me a week ago. If they would have been 17", not 16" I would have bought them. That makes it worth coming on this forum. I pretty much ignore the wiper blade, gas millage, tire inflation or any host of prosaic topics on this forum that the average Fit owner seems to care about.

I'm sure someone probably makes performance brake pads for the Fit? Someone might have interest or appreciate the feedback from someone who has actually used more than one brand or compound. This is a mod thread. I was trying to get back on track.

BTW: Still driving at 76 years of age? In all sincerity, good for you.

Old 02-09-2017, 02:43 PM
Originally Posted by WagovanMan
The usable rev range has really opened up now. I'm having a ton of fun between 3k and 5k. The gearing/ratios seem to have been improved as well as 1st doesn't feel like a granny gear as much and I'm cruising at 75 MPH in 6th with revs in the mid 3k instead of droning at 4k.
Just clarifying, if you have a CVT, then changing the ECU program may provide different engine speeds.

If you have the six speed manual, a change in the ECU program alone can't change the gear ratios, which are fixed. If prior to the re-programming your engine speed at 80 mph was 4,000 rpm, it will be exactly the same after a re-programming.

Last edited by nobdy; 02-09-2017 at 07:43 PM.
Old 02-10-2017, 07:53 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by nobdy
Just clarifying, if you have a CVT, then changing the ECU program may provide different engine speeds.

If you have the six speed manual, a change in the ECU program alone can't change the gear ratios, which are fixed. If prior to the re-programming your engine speed at 80 mph was 4,000 rpm, it will be exactly the same after a re-programming.
I was thinking the same thing. His signature says MT, so I'm really confused on how this is possible unless a new shiny metal gear came in that tune box that changed the final drive ratio.

Old 02-10-2017, 10:50 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by tbFit
I was thinking the same thing. His signature says MT, so I'm really confused on how this is possible unless a new shiny metal gear came in that tune box that changed the final drive ratio.
I clearly chose the wrong terms to describe what I'm noticing. Not sure how to explain it, but the engine is performing differently through each gear, such that I can really wind it out in first and second and cruise in 6th at the same speeds but with RPM significantly lowered. It seems to be the kind of difference that comes from changing drive ratios but I know that my transmission wasn't touched. KTuner would best describe what was changed in the tune to achieve these results.

Old 02-10-2017, 11:18 AM
5 Year Member
If prior to the re-programming your engine speed at 80 mph was 4,000 rpm, it will be exactly the same after a re-programming.
Not true. Originally, 75 in 6th saw RPM at about 4K. Same speeds after the tune and I'm crusing at 3500-3600. Speed hasn't changed as confirmed by GPS, but the engine is no longer droning as loud which is the most noticeable difference. I'll take a snapshot if you require proof but I assure you I'm not lying.

Old 02-10-2017, 12:18 PM
Not true. Originally, 75 in 6th saw RPM at about 4K. Same speeds after the tune and I'm crusing at 3500-3600. Speed hasn't changed as confirmed by GPS, but the engine is no longer droning as loud which is the most noticeable difference. I'll take a snapshot if you require proof but I assure you I'm not lying.
The engine's sound may have changed, or the company may have sent you the placebo edition.

You may be:

1. misremembering the relation of RPM and vehicle speed prior to the ECU revision (stock the car engine should be just a bit under 4,000 at 80mph),

2. omitting that you changed to a wheel with a greater diameter, or

3. revealing that the ECU revision altered your speedometer, your tachometer, or both.

The speed at which your car travels on a tire of a given diameter with stock manual transmission gearing is determined mechanically, not by the ECU. Therefore, a revision of the ECU cannot have changed the relationship between engine speed and vehicle speed in gear.

The point isn't to give you a hard time, but to keep anyone from being misled.

Last edited by nobdy; 02-10-2017 at 12:43 PM.
Old 02-10-2017, 01:47 PM
5 Year Member
The engine's sound may have changed, or the company may have sent you the placebo edition.

You may be:

1. misremembering the relation of RPM and vehicle speed prior to the ECU revision (stock the car engine should be just a bit under 4,000 at 80mph),

2. omitting that you changed to a wheel with a greater diameter, or

3. revealing that the ECU revision altered your speedometer, your tachometer, or both.

The speed at which your car travels on a tire of a given diameter with stock manual transmission gearing is determined mechanically, not by the ECU. Therefore, a revision of the ECU cannot have changed the relationship between engine speed and vehicle speed in gear.

The point isn't to give you a hard time, but to keep anyone from being misled.
I do appreciate that, and no I don't feel like you're giving me a hard time. I genuinely want to know what's going with my car.

I think you're right, it's #1. I'm confusing my cruising speeds, recalling 80 rather than 75.

Sorry for the confusion everyone. My opinion still stands that KTuner's base tune is an improvement over factory.

Old 02-10-2017, 01:56 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Rob H
I'm sure someone probably makes performance brake pads for the Fit?
There are some discussions in the 3rd Gen specific Suspension and Brakes section of the forum, here's one:

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-generation-gk-specific-suspension-brakes-sub-forum/94288-wilwood-kit-gk5.html

I drive aggressively, but nothing that requires that kind of power. My next upgrade is probably rotors and pads, maybe like this member did:

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-...-roll-out.html

Old 02-10-2017, 02:10 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Rob H
I spend most of my time on WRX forums, FB pages or forums/pages that are SCCA or racing related. I come here for mod threads or parts for sale. Picked up a set of aluminum Borbet wheels for my winter tires for $60 off this forum. There was a set of Enkei RPF1 listed at $500 about 2 hours drive from me a week ago. If they would have been 17", not 16" I would have bought them. That makes it worth coming on this forum. I pretty much ignore the wiper blade, gas millage, tire inflation or any host of prosaic topics on this forum that the average Fit owner seems to care about.

I'm sure someone probably makes performance brake pads for the Fit? Someone might have interest or appreciate the feedback from someone who has actually used more than one brand or compound. This is a mod thread. I was trying to get back on track.

BTW: Still driving at 76 years of age? In all sincerity, good for you.
Thanks, to you and the genes I got from my Irish grandfather and my German grandmother, both of whom died when in their 90s. No diet (eat what won't eat me first), and certainly no exercise. Mother's side of the family, not so much. That, and the fact that I'm as stubborn as any Tennessee mule.

I know one WWII vet who drove until a teenage twit T-boned his van. Totaled the van, but not the tough old bird who fought in N. Africa and Italy. The only reason he quit driving at age 92 was there was more internal damage to his body that was initially obvious. He's still with us, sharp as a tack and full of good humor.

The genes are the thing. Honda has good corporate genes. It will produce a less gifted product at times. It will either change the product, drop it, and sometime even resurrect it. If a company doesn't move, change and grow, ti dies. Honda grew from washing machine powered scooters to motorcycles, to passenger cars, Indy cars and F1, and even executive jet aircraft. Diversify, diversify, diversify.

Hint, birthday is exactly the same as Bruce Lee's.

Last edited by KentFinn; 02-10-2017 at 02:13 PM.
Old 02-10-2017, 02:26 PM
5 Year Member
I do appreciate that, and no I don't feel like you're giving me a hard time. I genuinely want to know what's going with my car.

I think you're right, it's #1. I'm confusing my cruising speeds, recalling 80 rather than 75.

Sorry for the confusion everyone. My opinion still stands that KTuner's base tune is an improvement over factory.
The old butt dyno can fool even the most experienced tuner.

Old 02-10-2017, 03:01 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by KentFinn
The old butt dyno can fool even the most experienced tuner.
Well said.

Old 02-15-2017, 07:48 PM
5 Year Member
Installed my new visors on it.

Old 02-15-2017, 10:56 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by wanako
Installed my new visors on it.

Looks good. Do they require tape?

Old 02-16-2017, 12:51 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by first honda
Looks good. Do they require tape?
Yes. They're mounted by 3M tape and under-weatherstrip clip. Same mounting as the OEM version. They're from WellVisors and I made a writeup on them here.

Last edited by wanako; 02-16-2017 at 12:53 PM.
Old 02-16-2017, 03:00 PM
Who pissed in RobH's Corn flakes? don't like the car don't come here and post. simple as that. No one here appreciates your opinion. you wonder why you get the reaction you've gotten and that surprises me.

Old 02-16-2017, 06:13 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by wanako
Yes. They're mounted by 3M tape and under-weatherstrip clip. Same mounting as the OEM version. They're from WellVisors and I made a writeup on them here.
Thanks. Yep, I saw your write up on them and your thread about your Fit. My brother and dad have weathertech on a Toyota pickup and 2 different RAV4s and they use no tape.

Old 02-16-2017, 10:26 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by first honda
Thanks. Yep, I saw your write up on them and your thread about your Fit. My brother and dad have weathertech on a Toyota pickup and 2 different RAV4s and they use no tape.
Yeah WeatherTechs are in-channel visors. They don't make them for the GK.

Old 02-17-2017, 07:26 PM
5 Year Member
Strip lighting around shift console

10 dollar mod came out nice.....

Attached Thumbnails MODS/ACCESSORIES  for the GK-img_0028-2.jpg   MODS/ACCESSORIES  for the GK-img_0030.jpg   MODS/ACCESSORIES  for the GK-img_0031.jpg   MODS/ACCESSORIES  for the GK-img_0039.jpg  
Old 02-18-2017, 12:45 AM
Originally Posted by tsand19151
10 dollar mod came out nice.....

link?????????

Old 02-18-2017, 02:02 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Bassguitarist1985
link?????????
Amazon Amazon

Quick Reply: MODS/ACCESSORIES for the GK