3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

MODS/ACCESSORIES for the GK

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2015, 02:57 PM
Originally Posted by KentFinn
And what do the local LEOs have to say about that light bar? I'm afraid that it would cause all sorts of consternation here in Tennessee.
It's like the Hi beam on your car, when you cross another car on the road, you turn it off. I don't know the laws in Tennessee but here in Canada there is no problem of having one.

Old 12-21-2015, 10:33 AM
5 Year Member
Just swapped my EX CVT plastic shift handle for an EX-L leather handle. Took all of 60 seconds, very simple: just pop the front trim piece off, lift the old handle off the shaft, install new handle and pop front trim back on.

es

Old 12-21-2015, 10:46 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by stembridge
Just swapped my EX CVT plastic shift handle for an EX-L leather handle. Took all of 60 seconds, very simple: just pop the front trim piece off, lift the old handle off the shaft, install new handle and pop front trim back on.

es
Nice! Mine was tough to remove, not sure why, but when I swapped for the leather, I popped a tab off that plastic piece and finally ordered a replacement.

Old 12-21-2015, 10:49 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by tbFit
Nice! Mine was tough to remove, not sure why, but when I swapped for the leather, I popped a tab off that plastic piece and finally ordered a replacement.
Weird, mine was easy to do as well. Just used a paint stick from Home Depot I had laying around to wedge in there so I could pry it off.

Old 12-21-2015, 11:27 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Maxplo
It's like the Hi beam on your car, when you cross another car on the road, you turn it off. I don't know the laws in Tennessee but here in Canada there is no problem of having one.
Generally speaking if the light bar is on the roof (i.e. Urban Cowboy wannabe pu), no real problem. But in the grill the LEOs might think you're trying to imitate an official first responder. Off, they probably wouldn't notice. It all depends on the audience ... a friend used to have a Dixie horn, ala Dukes of Hazard, he got rid of it since a) he is in no way, shape, form or fashion, a racist and b) bad enough that he lives on Rebel Dr.

People are so touchy these days.

Old 12-21-2015, 03:13 PM
Originally Posted by Maxplo
Hi, yes it is behing my grille! The led bar is bolted to my bumper and wired directly to the battery and a switch in the interior. I got if off ebay, it's a cree 24" 240W, I was impressed the first time that I tried it at night!!
Ahh behind the grille, gotcha. Looks SWEET! What the light pattern like? If its a narrow enough pattern i don't think it would cause glaring issues. I see plenty of cars and mostly trucks with these light bars driving around with them on and I don't think cops are pulling them over for them.

Installing behind the grille doesn't look difficult, again concern is for cooling efficiency in the summer. I'm so tempted to get one of these for the sake that my area if I am not driving on the highway, the side roads have NO street lights, and some extra light is warranted. I can easily wire up a relay under hood connecting it to the high beam circuit with with my eyes closed. Thats how I would use it anyway. A light bar with low beams is a bit overkill.

Last edited by Bassguitarist1985; 12-21-2015 at 03:16 PM.
Old 12-22-2015, 09:09 AM
5 Year Member
Yesterday evening's project was to swap my plastic EX steering wheel for a leather EX-L wheel, and it was a success!

I took copious photos and will post a "how to" later. It took around three hours, and I had no instructions to reference. Someone had linked me to a Gen 2 Fit video, but the GK wheel is put together pretty differently. I had to use a pneumatic lug wrench to break the steering wheel bolt loose! I'd give the project a 6 or 7 out of 10 for difficulty, mainly because of the elevated risk of breaking something in the process of taking it all apart.

es

Old 12-22-2015, 10:28 AM
5 Year Member
Yesterday evening's project was to swap my plastic EX steering wheel for a leather EX-L wheel, and it was a success!...
Well done, you are a brave soul to take that on without clear instructions!

Old 12-22-2015, 02:15 PM
5 Year Member
Lovely steering wheel! I'm looking forward to reading your instructions. I probably won't completely remove the steering wheel, just most of the covers.

Old 12-22-2015, 02:17 PM
Swapping Steering wheels, how bout a heated steering wheel?

Yesterday evening's project was to swap my plastic EX steering wheel for a leather EX-L wheel, and it was a success!
Brave indeed! The leather steering wheel while nice is a bit more than I want to do. Cant wait to see your how to. I would expect you disconnected the battery so the airbag wouldn't blow up in your face. I can get access to a pneumatic wrench and is expected for such a job.

I would love to be able to modify the steering wheel with a heated cover. Its one of those comfort features which is nice to have. No need to break the bank on it either. Trouble will always be the wire getting tangled around the steering column.

Wonder if anyone has come up with a "slip ring" style connector for aftermarket installs, like what BMW has

Heated Steering wheel retrofit pre 3/99 single stage

Old 12-23-2015, 04:35 AM

I took copious photos and will post a "how to" later. It took around three hours, and I had no instructions to reference. Someone had linked me to a Gen 2 Fit video, but the GK wheel is put together pretty differently. I had to use a pneumatic lug wrench to break the steering wheel bolt loose! I'd give the project a 6 or 7 out of 10 for difficulty, mainly because of the elevated risk of breaking something in the process of taking it all apart.

es
Awesome! Where did you source the EX-L wheel and about how much did it set you back? I'd love to upgrade at some point after I get some Clazzio Seat Covers.

Old 12-23-2015, 12:54 PM
5 Year Member
Okay - I've finished the writeup to the steering wheel swap and posted it on my new "mod" thread here. Enjoy!

es

Old 12-25-2015, 08:58 PM
Got the LX rear garnish to get rid of some chrome on my EX.
Name:  IMG_0064_zpsvdjydk6j.jpg
Views: 701
Size:  247.1 KB

2012 Honda CRZ EX shift knob, actually had this for almost a year now.
Name:  IMG_0018_zpst5h09eyv.jpg
Views: 698
Size:  169.3 KB

And with all the rain and dirt from work, finally decided it's time to get the genuine Honda rubber floor mats.

Old 12-29-2015, 04:01 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by bigbacon
how does a tube and a filter mashed right in the engine bay, where it gets really hot, count as a cold air intake?
And he paid $250 for it too. lol

Old 12-29-2015, 07:29 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by YourConfused
And he paid $250 for it too. lol
I feel like the stock intake gets cold air coming from the snorkel behind the grill. Until someone can show the intake temperatures of the AEM and Stock, I'll stick to the stock intake and paper filter.

Old 12-29-2015, 03:25 PM
I was looking at getting the carbon Kevlar intake for our car. I'm surprised there are not more options for cars.

Old 12-29-2015, 03:26 PM
250 for an estimated 4 hp gain. Doesn't seem reasonable.

Old 12-29-2015, 05:29 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by KentFinn
Generally speaking if the light bar is on the roof (i.e. Urban Cowboy wannabe pu), no real problem. But in the grill the LEOs might think you're trying to imitate an official first responder. Off, they probably wouldn't notice. It all depends on the audience ... a friend used to have a Dixie horn, ala Dukes of Hazard, he got rid of it since a) he is in no way, shape, form or fashion, a racist and b) bad enough that he lives on Rebel Dr.

People are so touchy these days.
Roof mounted light bars in many states have to be covered on road to be legal.

Aux light must be below the center line of the main headlights in most states.
and turn OFF when high beam is on. (I've been puled over multiple times on this and drove away with no issues.. )

You can get dinged if the combined light on each side exceeds the states limits which are loosey goosey and highly variable. YMMV.. Usual limit is 65 watts on high.

My High output driving lights (150W 8" Hellas) are switched on the dash and powered up by the high beam circuit via a relay so if I am using them on the road my dimmer switch drops them when I go to low beam. My fog lights are wired to go on with low beam and have a switch to lock them out as well. (There may be a second switch that overrides them to on..

Last edited by dwtaylorpdx; 12-29-2015 at 05:38 PM.
Old 01-06-2016, 01:13 AM
5 Year Member
Arrow

es

Got a part number / link by chance? Where did you get it from?

Thanks,
-Nigel

Old 01-06-2016, 10:00 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by NewShockerGuy
Got a part number / link by chance? Where did you get it from?
Any Honda OEM parts house should have them. Here's one set of links:

Leather Steering Wheel

Leather CVT Shift Selector Knob

es

Quick Reply: MODS/ACCESSORIES for the GK