3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Honda gives reason for Fit delay

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2014, 03:40 PM
5 Year Member
Since autonews.com is subscription based, here's the entire story my Mark Rechtin:

LOS ANGELES -- The launch of the redesigned 2015 Honda Fit subcompact -- built in Honda's new $800 million factory in Celaya, Mexico -- is in the midst of a nearly two-month delay because of quality-control and transport glitches.

As of an April 9 press release, Honda was planning for an on-sale date in late April. Now the forecast is for the second week of June.

Honda spokesman Chris Martin declined to say what the quality shortcomings were, other than to say, "It's not some major rework. These are things that can be adjusted in production. It's not like we're going back to the drawing board. The car has been on sale in Japan already and is doing great."

Because the Fit for the United States is being built in a new factory by new workers, the ramp-up is slower than expected, Martin said. Even before the delay, full production wasn't expected until fall.

The delay came after Honda engineers found deficiencies during qual-ity checks on the first wave of assembled cars that reached U.S. ports and regional centers. Extra inspections are typical for a new model launch.

As a result, every assembled car was pulled aside for checks and repairs. Running changes were made to the assembly line.

All cars now coming down the line meet the quality standard, Martin said, and all Fits that reach dealers will have been double-checked.

"It was always part of the rollout plan that this could happen," Martin said. "We were not in a panic situation. We had a plan to do this if needed."

He added: "We could have shipped cars to the dealer and said, 'Check this,' but we didn't want to put that burden on the dealer."

Honda declined to give even a general description of which parts didn't measure up "because we don't need our competitors doing tear-downs to our cars," Martin said. But he noted that the Celaya plant relies more on manpower than the Fit "mother" plant in Yorii, Japan, which uses more robotics.

The Celaya plant also is testing the Mexican rail system, which has slowed deliveries from the factory to Mexican seaports.

"There were a few kinks in that process. They've all been resolved at this point," Martin said.

The Celaya plant is slated to build about 200,000 units of the Fit and HR-V subcompact crossover annually for the United States, Canada and Mexico.

Art Wright, a Honda dealer in Lehigh Valley, Pa., since 1972, said he respects that Honda "decided to take an extra step to make sure the quality is up to standard. We weren't expecting to see big numbers until June anyway."

Old 05-26-2014, 04:36 PM
I still see a lot of hand-waving in that article. A production delay should have given them time to work out the transportation issues, the two would not add together. They crowed about how advanced the Mexican factory was, then say that it relies more on manual labor than the older Japanese factory? Robots have to be supplied with parts that fit which increases quality through the entire chain. To replace a robot with a group of men who can "bash to fit" is a big step backwards in quality control both in the assembly process and in the processes that feed assembly.

I'm not sure if this is a deal-breaker for me, but it might make me sit back a while and wait for the quality survey results to be in. I tend to have great confidence in Honda but the bulk of Honda products I have owned have been built in Japan, not the 3rd world.

I do have a question: Where are the powertrains coming from? I know they built a big new CVT plant there, but is it in operation yet? What about the engines?

Old 05-26-2014, 05:03 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by FIT4LIFE
Since autonews.com is subscription based, here's the entire story my Mark Rechtin:

LOS ANGELES -- The launch of the redesigned 2015 Honda Fit subcompact -- built in Honda's new $800 million factory in Celaya, Mexico -- is in the midst of a nearly two-month delay because of quality-control and transport glitches.

As of an April 9 press release, Honda was planning for an on-sale date in late April. Now the forecast is for the second week of June.

Honda spokesman Chris Martin declined to say what the quality shortcomings were, other than to say, "It's not some major rework. These are things that can be adjusted in production. It's not like we're going back to the drawing board. The car has been on sale in Japan already and is doing great."

Because the Fit for the United States is being built in a new factory by new workers, the ramp-up is slower than expected, Martin said. Even before the delay, full production wasn't expected until fall.

The delay came after Honda engineers found deficiencies during qual-ity checks on the first wave of assembled cars that reached U.S. ports and regional centers. Extra inspections are typical for a new model launch.

As a result, every assembled car was pulled aside for checks and repairs. Running changes were made to the assembly line.

All cars now coming down the line meet the quality standard, Martin said, and all Fits that reach dealers will have been double-checked.

"It was always part of the rollout plan that this could happen," Martin said. "We were not in a panic situation. We had a plan to do this if needed."

He added: "We could have shipped cars to the dealer and said, 'Check this,' but we didn't want to put that burden on the dealer."

Honda declined to give even a general description of which parts didn't measure up "because we don't need our competitors doing tear-downs to our cars," Martin said. But he noted that the Celaya plant relies more on manpower than the Fit "mother" plant in Yorii, Japan, which uses more robotics.

The Celaya plant also is testing the Mexican rail system, which has slowed deliveries from the factory to Mexican seaports.

"There were a few kinks in that process. They've all been resolved at this point," Martin said.

The Celaya plant is slated to build about 200,000 units of the Fit and HR-V subcompact crossover annually for the United States, Canada and Mexico.

Art Wright, a Honda dealer in Lehigh Valley, Pa., since 1972, said he respects that Honda "decided to take an extra step to make sure the quality is up to standard. We weren't expecting to see big numbers until June anyway."
While not quite as comprehensive as I would like to see, this article does seem to be honest in its assertions. I certainly would like to know exactly what the issues have been, but I do have confidence that the Honda methods to ensure quality are sound and proven they the years.

I agree that hearing that this new assembly plant relies more on manpower than robotics does sound like a step backwards. And "running changes" in production does not instill the highest amount of confidence, that one change might not affect another thing adversely.

I suppose, I am happy that my car has not yet been built and hope that these glitches have been resolved and that my June production car will be up to Nonda's quality standards.

Old 05-27-2014, 03:24 PM
5 Year Member
Even Honda doesn't trust car dealers, ha!