3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Good For the Winter?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2014, 05:45 PM
Good For the Winter?

Would the Fit do well in the snow? Living in Canada, and considering that the Fit is 2WD, I'm worried about issues in the winter.

At least there's enough space in the back for a shovel!

Seriously, though. I also remember reading somewhere that previous models were not easy to drive in the snow due to the front of the car acting like a snow plow. I hope this won't be a problem with the 2015 model.

Last edited by cmchan; 05-07-2014 at 06:05 PM.
Old 05-07-2014, 06:03 PM
Originally Posted by cmchan
Would the Fit do well in the snow? Living in Canada, and considering that the Fit is 2WD, I'm worried about issues in the winter.
Great question! I would like to know too. Although I have done some research concerning 4WD vs. 2WD in the snow/ice and although hotly debated, it still comes down to the tires on it. Last year our heaviest snowfall was maybe 3 inches of snow sticking on the ground? In Denver snow tires would be a waste of money and no one puts them on so 4WD does me no good

Old 05-08-2014, 10:27 AM
5 Year Member
We all got where we were going back when everything was RWD. FWD is great in the snow.

AWD is just gravy, not actually necessary. The car I traded in on the Fit was a Subaru, and my hobby in it was passing Jeeps in blizzards. On divided highways I had my own private lane while everyone else crawled along single file in the right lane. I got the Fit this February and made a real effort to be super careful in the snow because 9 years in a Subaru got me in the habit of... having a Subaru.

But the Fit does fine in the snow, yes on factory rubber. But you'll have to get a tiny snow shovel- a "real" sized one won't fit in the way back.

Old 05-08-2014, 10:43 AM
5 Year Member
"Snowplow" is not an issue. Not sure who told you that the lower front end of the Fit would cause some sort of a problem driving in snow. Unless you're talking heavy chunks of slushy ice over 6" tall that could possibly high-center you, which you shouldn't be driving in those conditions anyway. For me, the only real issue is the other drivers on the road. Those that are unprepared driving on bald summer tires. They stall going up a hill, which backs up traffic. Then I have to stop on an uphill. Even with good snow tires, it's really hard to get started going from a dead stop on an uphill. This is where AWD advantages comes in. Just stomp the gas and up you go.

There are some things you can do to make the Fit more snow-friendly, though. First, snow tires make a night and day difference. Definitely get some (probably studded, if your streets are covered in snow all winter). I had some Nokian Hakka studded and they were awesome in snow. This would be mandatory (for me) living in areas with heavy snowfall.

Second, get some snow chains/cables. This would be great for the uphill starts. Should give you great traction and pass those slipping and sliding going nowhere.

I have 2 other AWD cars in the garage, but I rarely drive them in the winter, unless there is heavy snow/blizzard-like conditions and I have to get somewhere. My Fit with snow tires gets me where I want to go 99% of the time.

Old 05-08-2014, 05:10 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by amy_wilhelmina
Great question! I would like to know too. Although I have done some research concerning 4WD vs. 2WD in the snow/ice and although hotly debated, it still comes down to the tires on it. Last year our heaviest snowfall was maybe 3 inches of snow sticking on the ground? In Denver snow tires would be a waste of money and no one puts them on so 4WD does me no good
Even without snow, winter tires are still important as they retain their grip in cold weather better than all seasons.

Name:  SNY2bwM.jpg
Views: 22
Size:  207.3 KB

Old 05-08-2014, 06:18 PM
Originally Posted by glarus
Even without snow, winter tires are still important as they retain their grip in cold weather better than all seasons.
Oh, no argument they are better for the winter. But I live and work in a heavily populated area, so there are always people driving very slow when the weather is bad. I am always a cautious driver, never speed. Last winter my car slipped maybe 4 times, only at stop signs with lots of ice and of course I did not put myself or anyone else in a dangerous situation. So for me, not worth the expense or effort.

Old 05-11-2014, 03:24 PM
Ein
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by cmchan

At least there's enough space in the back for a shovel!

Seriously, though. I also remember reading somewhere that previous models were not easy to drive in the snow due to the front of the car acting like a snow plow. I hope this won't be a problem with the 2015 model.
It drives fine as long as the snow is not higher than the ground clearance of the Fit. Look into the Honda HR-V. It's a smaller version of the CR-V. i'll probably replacing my 09 Fit with it. If it offers a AWD version.

Old 05-11-2014, 04:41 PM
5 Year Member
Blizzaks are a great winter tire, a lot of folks up here use them without studs in the winter (studded tires are a must otherwise here in alaska; you can actually get a ticket if you are in an accident that could of been avoided if you had proper winter or studded tires on your car)

Old 05-11-2014, 05:16 PM
Originally Posted by Ein
It drives fine as long as the snow is not higher than the ground clearance of the Fit. Look into the Honda HR-V. It's a smaller version of the CR-V. i'll probably replacing my 09 Fit with it. If it offers a AWD version.
The HR-V looks pretty good. I may consider getting this instead of the Fit, depending on the cost. I never heard of it until seeing your post. I can't find much info on it though, compared to how much info is available for the Fit lol.

Old 05-11-2014, 06:51 PM
Ein
5 Year Member
It's coming this winter. We should get more info as the release date gets closer.

Old 05-11-2014, 09:06 PM
5 Year Member
I have to say, tires make the biggest difference no matter the drivetrain.
Even so called "Performance All Seasons", are no match for dedicated snow tires. A Fit should be fine with the right equipment.

Old 05-12-2014, 04:33 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fit Charlie
We all got where we were going back when everything was RWD. FWD is great in the snow.

AWD is just gravy, not actually necessary. The car I traded in on the Fit was a Subaru, and my hobby in it was passing Jeeps in blizzards. On divided highways I had my own private lane while everyone else crawled along single file in the right lane. I got the Fit this February and made a real effort to be super careful in the snow because 9 years in a Subaru got me in the habit of... having a Subaru.

But the Fit does fine in the snow, yes on factory rubber. But you'll have to get a tiny snow shovel- a "real" sized one won't fit in the way back.

I know what you mean by having a Subarus. I've had a few and still do. Can't (Maybe I should say I won't) get rid of them. I wouldn't worry about the Fit though. Just take your time and drive carefully.

Old 05-13-2014, 02:59 PM
5 Year Member
My 2012 Fit base MT works fine in the snow of Salt Lake City. I realize we don't get nearly what you would in Canada, but I seem to do fine. The Fit replaced my old Subaru, and I really only miss the Subaru 2-3 days a winter.

Make sure you get a newer model that has traction control. It's been a life saver when the hills get icy.

Old 05-14-2014, 10:53 AM
5 Year Member
Traction control applies the brakes when you're trying to move forward. The brakes are great for keeping the wheels from spinning, but horrible for moving forward.

The first time the car braked without me telling it to I pulled over, found the traction control's off switch and moved on with my life. When it's snowing out, shutting it off is the first thing I do after starting up.

Old 05-15-2014, 12:40 AM
5 Year Member
Hello. I also live in Montreal and can chime in on the Fit in winter. No need to try and convince cmChan of getting winter tires, they are required by law in the winter in Montreal. Snow tires is American for winter tires in case you are wondering what they are talking about

I tried studded winters once and really didn't like them so I can't recommend them. I believe that studded tires perform better on ice but they are marginally worse on snow compared to a high quality non studded winter tire. Also, winter tires have mediocre performance on dry pavement and studded tires are even worse on dry pavement.

Since you live in Montreal, it's not so much the winter that will piss you off, it's the ridiculous potholes that the city never gets around to fixing. I don't know which borough you live in but I live downtown/plateau and they are terrible about clearing the snow. So if money is no object, I'd get a CR-V or the HR-v or whatever. The fit has a rather stiff sporty suspension. I personally love it but it really kills you when you hit a pothole and you feel like the impact is so great, your wheel will come clean off!

I find the Fit most fun to drive in the summer. I'd say its a good winter car; not outstanding but good. My biggest gripe with my Fit (2007) is the ABS. It takes virtually nothing to get my ABS to go crazy and it makes braking muuuuuch longer. I counter that with my handbrake; I can stop on a dime with my hand brake. Doesn't the GK finally get rear disk brakes?

I was looking long and hard at a Subaru because Montreal's streets look like a third world country. I was turned off by the MPG and leaned towards the Fit. If you take a peek at my sig, you'll see that driving in the cold with a F2007 it and doing short trips in the city will get you bad MPG anyway so if I had to do it again, I might have gone with a Subie since they get about the same Mpg as my fit in winter. They have made the Fit better in fuel economy since my model but don't think you can get the numbers that the hyper milers living in California get! All in all, for the price, the Fit is a great fun car. Not very refined but it is small, great for hauling absolutely anything and the inside feels VERY spacious. Even the back seats are comfy for adults.

P.S. get a manual transmission for sure!