3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

2106 Fit EX Display screen problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2024, 12:11 PM
5 Year Member
2106 Fit EX Display screen problem

We have two 2016 Fit EXs. One is very rarely driven. When I went to start it last week, It barely turned over...but it started and ran. When I returned home, I connected a CTEK MUS 4.3 smart charger on it and let it bring the battery back up to a full charge. The next time I drove the car, which started up normally, I noticed that the 7-inch display was stuck on "HondaLink" with a window that initially said "Preparing for Program Update" and then quickly switched to "000000006". The left side buttons on the display are not illuminated. None of the steering wheel switches work. The USB ports are powered for a split second and then shut off. Neither back up nor lane change cameras come on, even when depressing the switch on the turn signal stalk. I have the Mitchell DIY subscription and have tried whatever seems to be related with no results...the same thing when trying to watch anything related on YouTube. I have disconnected the battery for about 30 minutes and also tested it with a digital analyzer--it's fine. I checked the B21 fuel under the hood and it was okay. I haven't accessed the C37 7.5 amp fuse (Accessory) under the dash...but the display lights up and the A/C blower works, so I suspect that that's not the problem either. I have pressed the power button on the radio for more than 10 seconds...no change. Tried holding the eject and power buttons...no change. Tried various combinations of steering wheel buttons in conjunction with the radio power button, but the screen never changed, nor did the "Home" and other "buttons" to the left of the display light up. I tried the nighttime switch and the display changed brightness, but none of the side "buttons" illuminated. My phone (iPhone) will not connect via Bluetooth.
I'm at wit's end and trying to avoid an expensive trip to the dealer. Here are the two screens that I get--the first one lasts about two seconds and then the "000000006" screen appears.

Thanks,
Kim

Old Today, 10:57 AM
5 Year Member
Got it fixed!!!

FIXED

Although I was hesitant to contact the Honda dealer, after my friends who run a large independent Asian vehicle shop could not offer any suggestions, I swallowed my pride and called the dealer. I was told that I needed to talk with the service department manager, who was unavailable at the time. I left my name and number with the switchboard operator. I expected that I would not hear anything from the dealer. Well, several hours later, the service manager called. I wasn't available or near my phone at the time, but he continued to call until he reached me. I was expecting the "Well, you will need to bring the car in to us for us to have a look at it..." line that is the usual thing that any dealership says...so imagine my surprise when the service manager began to ask me about the issue I was having and what led up to it. He then asked me to share the photos (as shown above) and he would check with his mechanics to see if anyone had seen those screens. I sent him the photos and the next day he called me again to advise that none of his technicians had ever seen those two screens. He told me that he would contact Honda Tech and try to get their assistance. In the meantime, he searched all of his documentation and reached out to his own contacts to try and solve the problem. I really, really could not believe how helpful and, simply kind this individual was. He, too, was perplexed by what was going on and he was obviously invested in finding a solution for me. This, I might add, was something that I had NEVER experienced from a dealership service manager in my nearly 73 years on this planet. Honda Tech had told him that in order for them to become involved, the car would need to be physically at the dealership. Concerned about dropping the vehicle off and being hit with a large bill, he assured me that at most it would entail an hour of labor for diagnosis, and that would be all. I contemplated it and made that decision that if that was what I needed to do then I would bring the car in. Although I had told him that I had disconnected the battery to perform a "hard reset", he suggested that I do so again, but this time to connect a jumper between the two disconnected battery cables. He told me that in the shop they had discovered that with the computerized software, the onboard memory will not completely clear unless all of the remaining (minimal) voltage is removed from the system, which would prevent the system from rebooting and restoring normal function. The service manager said that he would be on vacation the following week, but when her returned, he would reach out to me and see how I was doing with the problem and see what other help he could offer me.
I did as instructed, disconnecting both cables from the battery and placing a jumper between them. While I was told that I only needed to leave it that way for about 30 minutes, I actually left it with the cables jumped for several days as I was dealing with other projects. When I returned to our Fit, I tested every fuse, both under the hood and under the dash--they were all good. Then I reconnected the battery and started the car. Everything had returned to normal!!
I hope this might help anyone who has experienced a similar problem with their Fits. It appears as though this condition can be triggered by abnormally low battery voltage...in my situation, it resulted in a display that no one could recall ever having seen before, but the fix was the same as for other glitches in the display/software side.
I also wanted to note that I was so touched by this service manager's kindness and efforts on my behalf where there was little or no chance that it would result in any revenue for his dealership. Definitely a faith-restoring experience!! I messaged the service manager who was as pleased as I was. He told me that if we ever made it into town to please stop by as he would like to meet me in person. Wow...

Kim