3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Vibration noise near oil drain plug - some kind of bracket

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2024, 12:17 AM
Vibration noise near oil drain plug - some kind of bracket

Hey all, I have a "new-to-me" 2015 Fit EX. At idle (approx 700 RPM) i can hear a distinct, loud metal "pinging" or rattle. Sounds very much like a metal heat shield vibrating against another part. After some investigation I discovered this bolt and metal bracket that is to the right of the oild drain plug (as i face the front of car, driver's side to my right). The bracket freely moves in all directions, including up and down. I can pull the bracket and make it touch the oil pan/sump. I'm not sure what this part is or what it's attached to-- maybe some sort of shield for the passenger side steering rack?

I haven't yet tried removing the bolt-- i don't have the correct socket to fit and I don't know what size it is-- it's smaller than 14mm and larger than 10mm. 12? I guess there must be some sort of insert or rubber grommet/isolator that has fallen apart.
Has anyone here had any experience with this issue? How did you fix it?

Thanks for any tips.
Cheers!

Oil drain plug is labeled (on left) The bolt and metal plate in question are at right

Old 04-18-2024, 07:44 AM
5 Year Member
If I'm not mistaken, that's a heat shield or cover for an axle..... Im not 💯 % sure, but it rattles because it has some kind of weird washers that get worn down or fucked up and it sounds awful..... I think you can either remove it or buy the washers and replace them....

Old 04-18-2024, 01:50 PM
You're correct-- it's an attachment point for the drive shaft heat shield. Once I confirmed that I discovered that the "washers" are permanently installed and feature an additional metal mesh ring that serves to absorb vibration. This wears out/compresses over time and no longer absorbs the vibration. And the insert itself may have even broken/failed because of the fore-aft play that allows the mounting arm to impact the oil pan. The entire heat shield needs to be replaced. I've only found used ones available (Ebay) and they run close to US$100 and that doesn't include shipping (if available).

I may try sandwiching a plastic washer to eliminate or restrict movement or maybe a lockwasher + cut washer to allow the bolt to tighten down and prevent movement.

What a PITA. The noise is so annoying and makes my car sound like a POS klunker.

Old 04-18-2024, 09:10 PM
It's listed under driveshafts on the oem Fit sites. It's $50 something new, not incl shipping. You can google the part number along with "Honda Fit" to see and see used on eBay for less. Maybe you can fix it on your own though with some kind of washer? Part (number)...

44517-T5R-000

Old 04-18-2024, 09:12 PM
Awesome! Thanks for that. I spent some time searching and was turning up nothing!

Old 04-21-2024, 01:37 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by brian.p.johnson
Awesome! Thanks for that. I spent some time searching and was turning up nothing!
https://www.hondapartsnow.com/genuin...206MT&filter=()