3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Rear Camera Installed

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2021, 12:17 PM
5 Year Member
Rear Camera Installed

After watching a lot of Russian cars crash into each other, I decided to get a dash cam for the rear window. Since I already had a Viofo on the windshield, I was leaning toward another for the rear window. The reviews for the new model were very good so I got the A119 V3, and I put that one, the better one, in front. I wanted to hide the wiring as much as possible. The camera comes with a long cable - red and black - with a cigarette lighter-type plug. That converts the 12v to 5v. If you get an accessory with one of these plugs, do not be tempted to cut it off and wire it directly to 12v.

I have a triple12v outlet that I use for the front dash cam, so I used that for the rear. That gets its power from a separate fuse block. I ran the wire from the 12v outlet along the floor to the rear. Once there, the wire traveled up above the left taillight and went through that rubber sleeve at the top of the hatch. One thing you find out very quickly when working on wiring in the Fit - there is very little room to hide things behind the dash.

Then I had to decide where to mount the camera. I had four requirements: 1. The glass in that area had to be cleared by the wiper; 2. It must not interfere with my view to the rear; 3. It must get a good view of the road; 4. It must not interfere with the defroster wires on the glass. To take care of that, I trimmed a very small amount of adhesive from the 3M patch. It took several attempts to find the right location, just toward the passenger's side of the wiper.

The Viofo A119 has a mount with GPS that attaches to the window. The camera itself slides on and off very easily. I found that I was able to mount, remove, and remount the base several times, and the 3M adhesive is still good. I have a roll of that if I ever have to replace it.