3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Oil Extractor

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2021, 12:29 PM
5 Year Member
Oil Extractor

I was all set to order an oil extractor, and then I remembered the oil filter. Looking at the engine just now, I realize there's no way to replace the filter from up top. That's too bad. Maybe I'll look into getting a remote adapter. : )

It would be so nice to avoid driving the car onto the ramps, crawling underneath, and removing the splash pan before even starting to drain the oil. I've seen several people use extractors online, and nothing, or close to nothing, remains in the pan when they finish sucking the oil out.

Old 05-16-2021, 08:14 PM
It's really easy to remove the undercover. I don't know why people make a big deal out of it. It adds maybe four minutes to the job.

Old 05-16-2021, 09:57 PM
Originally Posted by SilverEX15
I was all set to order an oil extractor, and then I remembered the oil filter. Looking at the engine just now, I realize there's no way to replace the filter from up top. That's too bad. Maybe I'll look into getting a remote adapter. : )

It would be so nice to avoid driving the car onto the ramps, crawling underneath, and removing the splash pan before even starting to drain the oil. I've seen several people use extractors online, and nothing, or close to nothing, remains in the pan when they finish sucking the oil out.
I've been using the same extractor for about 8 years and 4 very different cars (e30 BMW 325is, Lexus IS 350, 07 Focus SES, and the 2016 FIT).
It's been used for everything from engine oil, transmission fluid to Power steering fluid, brake fluid, coolant etc.
Considering the time and money I've saved by using one of these, it's easily paid for itself MANY times over.
It's honestly one of the best tool investments I've ever made.

The only downside is the filter on the FIT (also had the same issue on my Lexus and Focus), but in the grand scheme of things, it's not a big deal.
Especially since Honda recommends changing the oil filter every second OCI per P 357 of the owner manual

Old 05-17-2021, 08:12 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Brain Champagne
It's really easy to remove the undercover. I don't know why people make a big deal out of it. It adds maybe four minutes to the job.
It's not that it's difficult. With an extractor, I would avoid removing that piece and using the ramps - and getting under the car. I've replaced those plastic screws on the shield with metal quick-disconnects.

Old 05-17-2021, 08:15 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by BMWguy22
I've been using the same extractor for about 8 years and 4 very different cars (e30 BMW 325is, Lexus IS 350, 07 Focus SES, and the 2016 FIT).
It's been used for everything from engine oil, transmission fluid to Power steering fluid, brake fluid, coolant etc.
Considering the time and money I've saved by using one of these, it's easily paid for itself MANY times over.
It's honestly one of the best tool investments I've ever made.

The only downside is the filter on the FIT (also had the same issue on my Lexus and Focus), but in the grand scheme of things, it's not a big deal.
Especially since Honda recommends changing the oil filter every second OCI per P 357 of the owner manual
If every other oil change is okay, then stretching it to every fourth must must be okay, right?

I've never liked the idea of skipping the filter change.

Old 05-17-2021, 11:37 AM
Originally Posted by SilverEX15
If every other oil change is okay, then stretching it to every fourth must must be okay, right?
Lol, exactly!