3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Recommendations for engine splash guard

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2021, 10:56 AM
5 Year Member
Recommendations for engine splash guard

Hi,
I have 2015 Honda Fit. Engine splash guard is kinda worn out. Need to replace. Outside Shop guy put in a zip tags to keep it going as of now. It seems to be doing the job. I think it happened with the negligence of Honda shop guys. When they replace the oil, they are not attaching plastic clips properly. It came off and worn out when we dragged on the street during the drive. There are few on the amazon with the price ranging from $70 to $100. Any feedback on buying it from Amazon?

Thanks

Old 05-03-2021, 01:26 PM
5 Year Member
I started out as a believer in the splash guard, but after mine was torn off I noticed zero harm to fuel economy. Others have reported the same, and my guess is they don't salt the roads too much where you're at. My car has been without for two years now, I think, so I can't answer your specific question, but I wouldn't worry about it.

Old 05-03-2021, 02:18 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by hasdrubal
I started out as a believer in the splash guard, but after mine was torn off I noticed zero harm to fuel economy. Others have reported the same, and my guess is they don't salt the roads too much where you're at. My car has been without for two years now, I think, so I can't answer your specific question, but I wouldn't worry about it.
Hi,
Thanks for the feedback. I am in TX. No salting roads here. Only worry is rain water/small stones splashing upwards from bottom into engine bay. Not sure if there are any electric wires exposed. I still have factory splash guard covering large part of bottom. Some portions/corners are worn out and difficult to attach using plastic screws. Shop guy used zip tags as a temporary to attach it. Meanwhile, i am looking out for new splash guard , some kind of special screws to attach from inside and plastic screws.

Last edited by ritholtz; 05-03-2021 at 02:28 PM.
Old 05-03-2021, 03:49 PM
5 Year Member
My is off after the first free oil change at the selling dealer. After 74K miles, I can't find a good reason to put it back on. I can change my oil/filter without using a ramp in 15 minutes. Honda never claimed that it is a splash guard. It is an undercover.

Last edited by wasserball; 05-04-2021 at 11:17 AM.
Old 05-04-2021, 04:12 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by wasserball
My is off after the first free oil change at the selling dealer. After 74K miles, I can't find a good reason to put it back on. I can change my oil/filter without using a ramp in 15 minutes. Honda never claimed that it is a splash guard. It is an undercover.
Thanks for the information.

Old 05-05-2021, 09:30 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by wasserball

Honda actually calls it a "lower engine cover assembly". Keeping it on helps your gas mileage, keeps your engine bar from getting extremely dirty. Or in rust belt states, it keeps the tarnishing down on your under hood parts. Which is a huge deal for longevity. So telling people to remove it permanently just so it's easier to change the oil is just pure laziness. That is like saying don't use your car's floor mats because it takes longer to clean your car interior. smh

https://www.hondapartsnow.com/genuin...0-t5r-a10.html

Last edited by NWCH; 05-05-2021 at 09:37 AM.
Old 05-05-2021, 12:44 PM
I change my own oil and taking off and putting back the cover doesn't take that long. I bought a bunch of replacement fasteners in case I need them but in a few oil changes I think I've needed only one. (this was before I learned that zip-ties work well too)

Old 05-07-2021, 12:34 PM
5 Year Member
Partsgeek.com

Old 05-07-2021, 01:20 PM
Originally Posted by NWCH
Honda actually calls it a "lower engine cover assembly". Keeping it on helps your gas mileage, keeps your engine bar from getting extremely dirty. Or in rust belt states, it keeps the tarnishing down on your under hood parts. Which is a huge deal for longevity. So telling people to remove it permanently just so it's easier to change the oil is just pure laziness. That is like saying don't use your car's floor mats because it takes longer to clean your car interior. smh
I like you