3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

2015 TPMS Light

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2021, 10:33 AM
2015 TPMS Light

Good Morning,
I bought this 2015 Fit about a month ago. I cannot get the TPMS light to turn off at all. I can reset it using the button, but it just starts flashing again, within minute or two and then turns solid. When I start the car the low tire light flashes for about 30 seconds and then stays lit. Anyone else have this problem? Anyone know what I should be looking for to fix this?

Old 04-29-2021, 10:42 AM
5 Year Member
Assuming all tires are at spec pressure, have you tried holding the button down until it goes off while you are driving? I remembered that's how I got the
TPMS to reset.

Old 04-29-2021, 11:31 AM
Old 04-29-2021, 12:50 PM
Originally Posted by David Jenkins
Good Morning,
I bought this 2015 Fit about a month ago. I cannot get the TPMS light to turn off at all. I can reset it using the button, but it just starts flashing again, within minute or two and then turns solid. When I start the car the low tire light flashes for about 30 seconds and then stays lit. Anyone else have this problem? Anyone know what I should be looking for to fix this?
My guess is that the batteries for one or more TPMS sensor is failing, hence the flashing.

Old 04-29-2021, 02:05 PM
5 Year Member
There are no TPMS sensors in the wheels, it goes off relative wheel speed. Computer figures if the rolling radius changes, it's likely due to low pressure. Saves money on sensors, but gives more false alerts.

Old 04-29-2021, 02:20 PM
Originally Posted by hasdrubal
There are no TPMS sensors in the wheels, it goes off relative wheel speed. Computer figures if the rolling radius changes, it's likely due to low pressure. Saves money on sensors, but gives more false alerts.
I feel like I heard that before but never committed it to memory. It's good to know. Either low pressure, unevenly worn tires, or something interfering with the wheel speed sensor.

Old 04-29-2021, 03:49 PM
5 Year Member
Have you ever have to replace them when the battery dies? A set of 4 cost about $275. I rather monitor the tire pressure manually and keep the $275 in my pocket.

Old 04-29-2021, 03:54 PM
5 Year Member
When the TPMS battery dies a new set of 4 cost about $275. I rather monitor the tire pressure manually and keep the $275 in my pocket.

Old 04-29-2021, 04:26 PM
I can confirm this.
I have a set of Acura wheels from a 2001 (long before TPMS) on my FIT and have never had the light illuminate on my dash.

Old 04-29-2021, 05:07 PM
5 Year Member
I'm running Civic wheels, which have a built-in sensor - but it doesn't matter as TPMS is passive in 3rd gen.

Now mine tends to act up, especially an hour into a really long trip. It'll go on and no amount of clearing with the button helps, it comes back. Then sometime later - often after the trip, and I've checked the psi several times, it disappears as mysteriously as it appeared. Go figure.

Old 04-29-2021, 05:58 PM
5 Year Member
Mine went off erratically until I replaced the crap OEM tires. Since then I've had no problem.

Old 04-29-2021, 07:23 PM
Exclamation

yes exactly

Originally Posted by exl500
Mine went off erratically until I replaced the crap OEM tires. Since then I've had no problem.
... so reset it?

Originally Posted by knope
still ....nobody references ^^^relevant thread^^^ (lol) or googles "reset gk passive tpms"

Old 04-29-2021, 09:12 PM
Check out your owner's manual about TPMS pgs 336-339. It's the flashing that's key. Normal reset won't work when it's flashing.
Here is page 339...

Your vehicle has also been equipped with a TPMS malfunction indicator to indicate when the system is not operating properly. The TPMS malfunction indicator is combined with the low tire pressure telltale. When the system detects a malfunction, the telltale will flash for approximately one minute and then remain continuously illuminated. This sequence will continue upon subsequent vehicle start-ups as long as the malfunction exists.

When the malfunction indicator is illuminated, the system may not be able to detect or signal low tire pressure as intended.

TPMS malfunctions may occur for a variety of reasons, including the installation of replacement or alternate tires or wheels on the vehicle that prevent the TPMS from functioning properly.

Always check the TPMS malfunction telltale after replacing one or more tires or wheels on your vehicle to ensure that the replacement or alternate tires and wheels allow the TPMS to continue to function properly.

Old 04-29-2021, 11:03 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by David Jenkins
Good Morning,
Just a couple of starting questions for ya...

Did you verify that the car is running tire pressure as spec'ed in the door jam as well as running a matched set of tires prior to resetting the TPMS and driving off? Also have you checked for any ABS codes?

Originally Posted by knope
still ....nobody references ^^^relevant thread^^^ (lol) or googles "reset gk passive tpms" https://youtu.be/JhTJ2_ugCAI
To be honest... That thread and video vaguely skims the surface of X factors with Honda's current indirect TPMS. =)

Proper tire inflation to spec and initializing/relearning the system is of course the standard procedure but if the light keeps coming back on then there needs to a little digging done. If one simply relearns/initializes the system without adjusting tire pressure then the system will briefly monitor the wheel speed and tire characteristics while comparing it to its previous data, so no difference, and turn the light back on anyway.

The system can fault if...

You run mixed tire sizes (obviously... >.>.) with a noticeably different overall diameter
Noticeably different tread depths even with the same batch of tires (Example; 3 tires at 3/32nds and 1 at 7/32nds)
Excessive road force with the wheel & tire assembly during balancing (Common on 10th Gen Civic Sport Sedans w/ 18s and factory Goodyear Eagles. -.-)
Alignment being excessively out of spec
And of course whether or not the wheel speed sensors and other ABS/TPMS components are properly functioning

Easiest thing to do would be to baseline the car by setting tire pressure while the car is cold, **perform a TPMS hard reset**, then drive the car for 30 to 60 minutes. If the light comes back on after that then again... You got some digging to do.

** The TPMS hard rest clears out previous data used for comparison and allows the vehicle to learn that wheel and tire combo from that point forward. Just initialize the system reset 3 times while pausing for 5 seconds between each then you'll see the system light illuminate for about 1 second then turn off to indicate that the hard rest has been performed.

Old 04-30-2021, 10:06 AM
well, idk then... I suppose you could always just put some tape over the area on the dash so you never have to see that light again...