3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

2008 Fit Sport owner looking for later model Fit, need advice please

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2021, 08:29 AM
What is awesome for my specific needs about the Fit is the tall interior, that lets me put two bikes in vertically (with front wheels off), one on each side, and have room for luggage and the dog in between. Most cars aren't tall enough to stand the bikes up.

Originally Posted by redmandarin
This might be slightly blasphemous - I would also suggest looking into a Civic hatchback since you are doing limited off-island driving. Not as versatile/spacious from a cargo perspective as the Fit, but I am cross-shopping between the Civic hatch and the Fit now and really like the amenities on the Civic not offered on the fit (dual-zone automatic climate for example).

Old 04-30-2021, 09:49 AM
I have a 2017 CPO CVT Fit that has been a pleasure to drive. My Fit was made in Japan. My vin shows zero recalls or bulletins. Some may say otherwise but I wouldn't buy a Honda made outside of Japan or U.K. My 2003 UK manufactured CR-V had 212k on it with zero issues before I traded it for the Fit. The Fit is getting about 42mpg and cruises so nicely on the highway. 2017 and later is when they seemed to iron out some earlier issues but of course any vehicle can have something pop up. When I got it I changed the plugs and coils, added a air/oil separator (which catches A LOT of junk before getting to the intake) as all DI engines inherently are more prone to carbon buildup. I've changed the transmission fluid a few times just because and oil changes every 3k with Mobil 1 extended performance as that is the most important thing for any vehicle, especially with a DI engine. I'm a diesel mechanic for income and those things are so easy and inexpensive to do, it's worth the preventative maintenance for me to keep everything clean and fresh. I love my car. Dynamat throughout really helped make it a quiet, enjoyable ride. Good, soft tires for comfort. As for CPO, Honda won't do anything unless they have a code to chase. In my experience going to dealers and saying "this isn't right and it needs to be fixed, it has a warranty" gets you nowhere but I guess it's good to have if something major happens. YMMV just check the VIN.

Originally Posted by FitTwit
Hello fellow Fit enthusiasts
We've owned both a 2007 and 2008 Fit Sport, still have the 2008 with 111,000 miles. These cars have been very reliable - I've done brakes, alternators, battery, etc., but no major repairs. Both manual transmissions. I've typically bought 2-3 year old small Hondas with about 30K miles and run them for 8 years or so. I've had the 2008 since Jan. 2010. We live on Martha's Vineyard and drive electric on the island, as we have a solar electric system. That car is mostly driven by my wife. The Fit has been our off-Island travel car, so it needs to be reliable. It gets little use on the island since I work at home and ride a bike most of the time for transportation. This has been the Fit's purpose. Its replacement will likely only get 5,000 miles/year of use.
So - I was thinking of trading the 2008 in on a late model Fit. Reading this forum makes me think that the Fit has perhaps gotten a lot less reliable and subject to some major and costly repairs. Consumer Reports gives the 2017 and 2019 model years a 5/5, and the 2018 a 4/5 reliability rating.

So - I'm looking for advice about:
- Is the 3rd Gen Fit still a very reliable car? How does it compare with the 2008?
- Are there critical recalls or other items that can be verified to avoid major $ repairs?
- Is there a reason to prefer the 6 speed vs. the CVT? The driving will be almost all highway, and the CVT appears to run the engine at substantially lower rpm (my biggest complaint with the 2008 is the under-gearing).
- Is CPO worth it for the long powertrain warranty?

Thanks SO much.

PS: living on an island means that car warranties are only useful in the event of major failure, because it costs me a day and $100 to get to a dealer.

Old 04-30-2021, 10:21 AM
That's really helpful! How can you tell if the car was made in Japan? And do you have a sense of what percent of them are made in Japan?

Old 04-30-2021, 10:24 AM
Originally Posted by FitTwit
That's really helpful! How can you tell if the car was made in Japan? And do you have a sense of what percent of them are made in Japan?
The door tag will tell you the country of manufacture. I've been looking at various Fits recently and most seem to be made in Mexico. The vin will tell you as well.