3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Sudden numbness in power steering

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2020, 11:25 PM
Exclamation Sudden numbness in power steering

Today I was driving my 2016 Fit EX around a parking lot, and while making a turn, I realized that I had to turn the steering wheel much farther than usual to make a simple right turn. Decided to make a similar left turn, and the same thing happens. By the time I complete a turn, the steering wheel is almost completely turned to its stopping point. So far, I haven't noticed any sounds that could indicate a loss in power steering, but now the steering feels way more numb than it was before. Any help is appreciated! Thanks FitFreaks

Old 12-12-2020, 08:57 AM
5 Year Member
Rack, alignment, leaking power steering pump, tires, so many others may have caused the problem. Regardless, a good mechanic should be able to tell you right away what is wrong with your steering.

Old 12-12-2020, 10:28 AM
5 Year Member
Couple weeks ago, I started my car in a parking lot. Started to drive away but had steering wheel had no effect and was incredibly difficult to turn. Reminded me of the days before power steering.

Knew something was up and thought computer problem; does it need a reset? Turned the engine off, started 'er up again, and it was fine, steering normal, everything normal. Been that way ever since.

Don't know if this is in any way related to what you experienced, but worth noting.

Old 12-12-2020, 12:02 PM
5 Year Member
This car has electric power steering, instead of the old hydraulic pump style. There's other threads talking about how turning the car off makes the system reset, sometimes becoming an increasing problem and needing to be replaced. I can't think of any reason the loss of an electric boost would cause a change in the rack though, like to make the wheels turn a different amount compared to how much steering input you give. If that's happening, instead of just feeling like you have to turn it more because of increased effort, I'd get to a mechanic immediately.

I haven't dealt with this myself, but looking at the parts it doesn't seem like a cheap fix if the module is going out.

https://www.acurahondapartshub.com/o...dmFyaWFibGU%3D

On the other hand, I found one thread where it turned out to be a sensor not installed correctly. Hope your fix turns out to be similarly cheap.

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-...ing-error.html