3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Dimensions of Hatch Opening?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2020, 01:21 AM
Question Dimensions of Hatch Opening?

There is tons of information available here and across the internet regarding the measurements of the cargo area and all the amazing things people have been able to squeeze into the back end of the Honda Fit. But I'm having an awful lot of trouble finding anything that specifies the actual, exact height and width of the opening of the hatch. It doesn't matter how much the interior can fit if you can't get it in the hole in the first place, How tall could an item get before it would stop fitting through that door? How wide? (Let's assume, for the moment, that the item can not be rotated to go in diagonally, but feel free to toss in diagonal measurements, too, I guess.) Perhaps the measurement is greater in the center than around the edges? Anybody have a measuring tape and a few spare minutes?

Old 04-15-2020, 09:17 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Geobear
There is tons of information available here and across the internet regarding the measurements of the cargo area and all the amazing things people have been able to squeeze into the back end of the Honda Fit. But I'm having an awful lot of trouble finding anything that specifies the actual, exact height and width of the opening of the hatch. It doesn't matter how much the interior can fit if you can't get it in the hole in the first place, How tall could an item get before it would stop fitting through that door? How wide? (Let's assume, for the moment, that the item can not be rotated to go in diagonally, but feel free to toss in diagonal measurements, too, I guess.) Perhaps the measurement is greater in the center than around the edges? Anybody have a measuring tape and a few spare minutes?
I assume you don't have a Fit? You could head down to your local dealer with a measuring tape. That would satisfy your inquiry more than if I went to measure mine. There is a similar question where the OP wanted to know the max size cooler that can fit into the Fit.

Old 04-15-2020, 11:15 AM
Right

Originally Posted by wasserball
I assume you don't have a Fit? You could head down to your local dealer with a measuring tape. That would satisfy your inquiry more than if I went to measure mine. There is a similar question where the OP wanted to know the max size cooler that can fit into the Fit.
Correct, I don't currently have one.

Yes, I know about the other thread. In fact, I already tried tacking on to it, but didn't get anywhere, so I thought I'd try giving it it's own thread.

If I can't get an answer, someday I will go measure myself, but doing it in the middle of a pandemic seemed like a "non essential" outing, and I was hoping someone could provide an answer sooner than that.

Old 04-15-2020, 05:37 PM
5 Year Member
ere you go, covid-19 virus is keeping me useful.

Last edited by wasserball; 04-15-2020 at 11:30 PM.
Old 04-15-2020, 05:40 PM
5 Year Member
Here you go. covid-19 virus is keeping me useful.

Old 04-15-2020, 06:30 PM
Here you go. covid-19 virus is keeping me useful.
Yay!!! Thank you!!!! You just totally made my day!! 😊
Doesn't it feel good to be needed? 😉

Old 04-15-2020, 10:40 PM
Here you go, covid-19 virus is keeping me useful.
Why is it so insanely clean?

Old 04-15-2020, 11:26 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Action Jackson
Why is it so insanely clean?
the 2017 Fit was only about a few weeks old when the pictures were taken.

Old 06-07-2020, 09:21 AM
5 Year Member
I spent 15 minutes in a Menards parking lot trying to fit a screen door into our 2016 Fit and ended up taking it back into the store and paying to have it delivered. Maybe if I had taken it out of the box and saved a few inches each way I might have done it but I didn't want those metal corners poking into the car interior or against the window (plus I wanted the box in case I had to return it). I think you could fit in an 8 foot long 2x4 but tehre's times when I really wish I could have gotten a roof rack on the Fit.