3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Fit 2015, turning on headlights no longer dim infotainment and dashboard lights

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2020, 01:48 PM
Fit 2015, turning on headlights no longer dim infotainment and dashboard lights

I have a 2015 Fit that's been driven around 76K miles. My car just randomly starting no longer dimming the interior dash lights and infotainment automatically when I turn the headlights on.. I have to manually click the brightness button on the infotainment and change it to dark mode every time I drive during the evening. That being said, the volume lights and the dash LCD backlight still doesnt dim since there's no way of manually controlling those..
Anybody had this issue before or know if its a setting that randomly changed or something? I noticed it after an oil change I did at a garage but they said they didn't do anything except reset the oil counter..

Old 01-13-2020, 01:57 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Gaspiii
I have a 2015 Fit that's been driven around 76K miles. My car just randomly starting no longer dimming the interior dash lights and infotainment automatically when I turn the headlights on.. I have to manually click the brightness button on the infotainment and change it to dark mode every time I drive during the evening. That being said, the volume lights and the dash LCD backlight still doesnt dim since there's no way of manually controlling those..
Anybody had this issue before or know if its a setting that randomly changed or something? I noticed it after an oil change I did at a garage but they said they didn't do anything except reset the oil counter..
I forget what exact setting, but if you turn the knob that toggles your mpg display left and right, it'll change the brightness. If it's set at the highest, it won't do the auto dim.

Old 01-13-2020, 02:10 PM

You're talking about twisting this little thing? Doesn't that just change the info on that small LCD?
I'll try to play around with it tonight when I go home

Old 01-13-2020, 09:43 PM
5 Year Member
I never knew there was an auto dim. Then again, I rarely drive at night.

Old 01-14-2020, 08:46 AM
5 Year Member
The only "glitch" my Fit seems to sometimes manifest is I have found intermittently I will put it in reverse during the day, and the back-up camera will come up with the darker lighting settings and I have to press the button and TELL it it's still daytime, or the display will be too dark.
Doesn't happen enough for me to define it as a real problem, and even when it does happen....it's just a button press fix.

Old 01-22-2020, 07:37 PM
5 Year Member
I believe there is an ambient sensor that determines the dash brightness. When I have the headlights on during early evening, the dash is dim then suddenly it brightens up when the outside got darker. You will also notice that dash brightness knob does not function when the ambient lighting is bright, ie, you cannot change the console gauge brightness at that time.

Last edited by wasserball; 01-22-2020 at 07:44 PM.
Old 01-22-2020, 11:34 PM
Originally Posted by wasserball
I believe there is an ambient sensor that determines the dash brightness. When I have the headlights on during early evening, the dash is dim then suddenly it brightens up when the outside got darker. You will also notice that dash brightness knob does not function when the ambient lighting is bright, ie, you cannot change the console gauge brightness at that time.
Shouldn’t it be dimmer when the ambient light is dim and brighter when the sun is out?

Old 01-23-2020, 08:31 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 2bFit
Shouldn’t it be dimmer when the ambient light is dim and brighter when the sun is out?
Not when your headlights are on during bright ambient light. Rotate the knob that controls the brightness of the gauges. When you have your headlights on during daylight you will find that the knob does not work to increase or decrease the brightness of the gauges. Honda knows best.

Last edited by wasserball; 01-23-2020 at 08:36 AM.