3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Remote start system (2019)

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2019, 02:17 AM
Remote start system (2019)

Is it possible to buy a remote start key off of eBay or some other site and program the fob to the car, or will I have to add a remote start system to my car for it to work? Is it even possible to reprogram a fob yourself or should I take it to Honda?

Old 09-04-2019, 07:33 AM
5 Year Member
Great question - I suspect that you need the START/STOP system installed for the ability to remote start - if I read the manual correctly.

Old 09-04-2019, 10:07 AM
Originally Posted by Jazu
Great question - I suspect that you need the START/STOP system installed for the ability to remote start - if I read the manual correctly.
I’m assuming it’s best just to pay my dealership to do it then? I’m pretty new when it comes to mods

Old 09-04-2019, 04:19 PM
5 Year Member
Yes you will need to have a remote start module added to the car. Audio shops have specials for like $300 to get a system installed. You could probably get an OEM system from the dealer put in for $500. Call around for pricing. If you have an MT then you are SOL (well not totally but it limits your options).

They are not a hard DIY though if you are familiar with electronics and wiring. If not best to let someone else do it.

Old 09-05-2019, 10:38 AM
5 Year Member
The OEM remote start requires a second key fob so I did not buy it as I thought it pointless to have the 2nd fob just for the remote start. Some aftermarket ones allow you to use your factory FOB to do the remote start. I'm looking to do that in the future.

Old 09-05-2019, 11:56 AM
5 Year Member
I got my dealer to do my remote start. Wise choice as far as my wisdom goes. There's a plug and play harness that needs to be installed and also an antenna for the OEM system; It's a 2 way system. Also, if you want to DIY it, you still need to bring it to the dealer to hook up their computer and do their programming to pair up the wireless module with the car's built in security system. As GolNat mentioned, unless you are comfortable with wiring and electronics it's probably better to get a professional/dealer to deal with it. They worked on the car for 4 hours and their tech installation procedure lists the job at 1.5 hours ... despite the kit requiring no wiring work (i.e. cutting/splicing etc). It's all plug and play but u need to get behind the dash which makes things tricky. I think it was their first time they did it.

Also, one thing to keep in mind is that if you have push button start, your car will turn off as soon as you touch the door handle after you remote started it.... which means you have to re-start the car. You can't work around this; I tried.The factory remote start fob lets you choose between 10 and 20 minute runs... after which the car will automatically shut off. You can also check the temperature of the car with the fob and also do standard lock/unlock procedures.

Old 09-05-2019, 12:06 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by CommanderSlug
Also, one thing to keep in mind is that if you have push button start, your car will turn off as soon as you touch the door handle after you remote started it.... which means you have to re-start the car. You can't work around this; I tried.The factory remote start fob lets you choose between 10 and 20 minute runs... after which the car will automatically shut off. You can also check the temperature of the car with the fob and also do standard lock/unlock procedures.
That was another reason why I decided against the OEM system. That's a dumb practice to turn off the car as you open the door. I've been in other touch button start cars that doe not turn off. Once you get in, you have to step on the brake and push the start button (like you would anyways to start the car). Then you can drive off. If you don't, then the car will shut off.

Old 10-19-2020, 08:48 AM
5 Year Member
I am considering the OEM Remote Engine Starter II for our 2020 EX-L. I keep reading that we will have to carry both remotes - is that still the case? It looks like the FOB has Lock/Unlock capabilities.

Old 04-14-2021, 01:07 AM
Same question as pittpanther so bumping the thread. I have two pups that love to go on road trips but need A/C during pit stops. I'm planning on calling a local shop to find out what their remote start install cost is before I call the local Honda dealerships. I really want to get a system that I can also control via my iPhone. From googling, it sounds like Viper might be my best bet.

Old 04-20-2021, 02:05 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by R&R's Rad Ride
Same question as pittpanther so bumping the thread. I have two pups that love to go on road trips but need A/C during pit stops. I'm planning on calling a local shop to find out what their remote start install cost is before I call the local Honda dealerships. I really want to get a system that I can also control via my iPhone. From googling, it sounds like Viper might be my best bet.
Viper is a good system. I'd go aftermarket to save some money and gain some extra features/functions.

Old 04-21-2021, 01:51 PM
100% Plug n play remote start with factory fob...

I just purchased a 2019 Fit EX a couple months back and I've had remote start on my previous 4 vehicles, and I really can't go without it any more.. it's like going to 2 monitors on your work computer, then of course you have to get a second monitor for your home computer. You just can't go back. I called a local Honda dealer here in Salt Lake City (UT) and they quoted me around $1100 part & labor to put in the "factory" remote start. No way.

After quite a bit of looking around, I settled on the Compustar Firstech FT-DC3-LC (about $103 online) for the brains of the unit. I picked up an iDataLink ADS-THR-HA10 t-harness for $30 (BB online order, picked up locally). I believe the iDataLink ADS-THR-HA7 would also have worked with my car, but it doesn't support secure takeover (car stays running when getting in after remote starting) and the HA10 does, so I went with that. They were the same price when I purchased them anyway. Since this is the first starter I have put in myself, I had to buy a $40 programming cable to update/program the FT-DC3-LC unit. That can all be done online for free. So all things considered, I'm in to it about $180ish after tax, and about 3 hours of a Saturday afternoon.

This all went in with zero wire splicing/tapping, and works by just pressing the lock button on the factory key fob 3 times. All the lights flash as they should, and the beep part happens as it should as well. You do have to run a wire from the FT-DC3-LC under the dash to a hood pin kill switch, but that doesn't tap into the car wiring at all. Also, this setup DOES NOT require any bypass module. When they flash the module, they use a key cloning technology that passes the info to the car when the remote start is activated. So initially you flash this on the computer for the year/make of the car, then you plug this into the car and start it manually, press the brake, hit the learn button on the unit.. stuff like that. Works like a charm. Then you return it to the computer to finish the flashing of the feature settings (of which there are a TON).

One other note, I did find a strange button screwed into the bottom of my dash panel while I was taking things apart. After searching around, found that it was one of those KARR alarms that I guess dealers like to have installed. The wires from that are all tapped into the car's wiring harness... hopefully that doesn't cause any issues down the road. But I checked after putting in this remote start system, and the alarm part still worked fine (which I guess is an issue with some aftermarket remote start systems).

I didn't really take any pics of much of my install, but I did get one showing about how much I had to disassemble to do the install.. You can see the top end of the t-harness right behind the instrument cluster. The unit is kinda just hanging down by the floor. This was just for the initial starting part for the device to "learn" my car key.

Last edited by woodenpickle; 04-26-2021 at 11:26 AM. Reason: Took out the line about this being an old thread... since it isn't.
Old 04-22-2021, 12:28 AM
Well, I did it! I ended up going with a local shop that I trust and it cost a lot but they listened to what I needed and what my goals were and gave me a great product that I believe that my dogs and I will enjoy. They recommended the Compustar system over Viper since Viper requires an additional fob. The Compustar system works with our existing Honda fobs so I can start the car with my Fit's fob with the same 3 presses of the lock button that someone with a Pilot or Odyssey (or whichever Honda vehicles have remote start built in) use. They were able to set the timer that the car will run to the max allowed by Compustar: 35 minutes, so I no longer have to worry about the car shutting off at the 10 minute mark. In addition, they added the Drone Mobile system, which I'm loving so far. I can start the car from my phone, check the temperature inside the car (which will be a huge bonus here in Texas when it's 100+ degrees), and check other things as well. I'm still exploring the app but so far I love it. It shows me whether my doors are locked and I can lock or unlock them remotely. I'm the type that will fly somewhere, get there, and then have a moment of panic wondering if I remembered to lock my doors so I appreciated being able to lock my doors remotely on my previous car, a Buick, so I know that I will enjoy the ability to check on demand even more (and then lock if necessary). I'll report back in a few months on how it did in the summer

Old 05-02-2021, 01:17 PM
I installed the Compustar/Idatalink system on mine...you can make it auto lock when you leave the car. Then I use a r5 remote kit to proximity unlock when I’m near the car as well.

Old 05-04-2021, 08:32 AM
Originally Posted by James Coil
I installed the Compustar/Idatalink system on mine...you can make it auto lock when you leave the car. Then I use a r5 remote kit to proximity unlock when I’m near the car as well.
My 2019 Fit already did the auto-lock thing as well as the proximity unlock before I installed the remote starter.. and not wanting to carry a second remote, I was stoked that the Firstech unit just works with the factory remote. Just curious as to why you got the separate remote kit? Were the auto-lock/proximity unlock options not available on earlier years with the factory fob? Or are those specifically push-to-start features? I'm new to the Fit world.. but I'm learning