3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

(2019) AC Very Weak

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2019, 08:08 AM
Arrow (2019) AC Very Weak

Hey ya'll, just took delivery of my 2019 LX and I've noticed ever since I've had the car (about 600 miles on it) that the AC has been very week. My old car, which was an 03 Toyota Solara, had a significantly colder AC. Is this something that's common? Honestly it's difficult to get the car comfortably cool when the ambient temperature is anything over 85. Maybe worth it to check the refrigerant pressure and see if it's low? Thanks for all the help!

Old 07-20-2019, 08:44 AM
5 Year Member
Welcome to the forum! Small displacement engines like the Fit are going to have a tough time on hot days, no way around that. Tinted windows help, but you can't increase engine displacement, so this limits the strength of the compressor, and ultimately affects how quickly the interior will cool.

Old 07-20-2019, 11:27 AM
Welcome. Yes, that's been my "hate" with the Fit. I just turn off ECO mode until the inside is cooler.

Old 07-20-2019, 01:13 PM
5 Year Member
My Fit always struggled and when it gets super hot many cars struggle. Interior temp make a big difference on how fast and well the car cools so tinted windows and sun shades help.

My car did better when it starts off it’s day in the garage but if it sits in the sun and then I use the AC worked much harder.

Old 07-20-2019, 05:47 PM
5 Year Member
The A/C is unquestionably the worst thing about the car. I keep thinking it's broken, but then come here to remind myself it's a common fault.

Old 07-21-2019, 02:19 PM
5 Year Member
Keep in mind that the duct work under the dash gets very hot when you park in the sun and it will take a while to cool down once you start driving.

Such is life with modern cars with sloped windshields and deep dashboards.

Old 07-21-2019, 03:38 PM
5 Year Member
You can get a white pad for the dash. It will help in summer. I've just deployed some since it is 100f here in Boston 🏜

Old 07-21-2019, 04:03 PM
A sun shade for the windshield helps if you park outside. Otherwise you may have to drive for quite a while before the dark-colored dash cools down enough that it's not radiating heat.

Old 08-13-2019, 01:25 PM
5 Year Member
definitely the worst thing about the car , a sunroof would help , but i don't have one . my SI had one , worked wonders to get
hot air out of the car after it's been sitting on a hot day . i miss that , i miss the extra torque too but that's another topic sigh

Old 08-13-2019, 07:52 PM
I must've gotten a fluke fit or something because none of this rings true with my 2019 Fit sport. I drive my vehicle permanently in ECO mode and the air blows incredibly cold in the LA heat after a minute. Sometimes I actually have to dial the temp up and/or slow the fans because it gets TOO cold. I am actually more sensitive to warm weather than most people, I start sweating profusely when most other people are barely starting to break a sweat. What is going on?!

Old 08-14-2019, 11:15 AM
5 Year Member
My 2019 Fit LX (bone stock) has the same infuriating issue. With ECO off, the output temperature is warmer than most other cars I've rented and owned. I'm going to start recording the wet bulb temperature output and the outdoor conditions to document this and take the car into for warranty work on this. Even my 1994 Civic VX economy car with dealer-installed A/C performed much better.

Old 08-16-2019, 10:34 AM
5 Year Member
Air outside = 105*
Fit A/c = 95*

Welcome to compact car life

Old 08-16-2019, 01:07 PM
5 Year Member
I wouldn't hesitate to just say that the Fit, as a subcompact, simply doesn't have the strongest air conditioning.
But it does have air conditioning.

I live in a rather temperate environment. Not a desert like heat. 4 distinct seasons. For me? The Fit air conditioning works...well enough.
But on the hottest days, higher 80's and 90's, I pretty much have to use all the "air conditioning" tricks.
That is when I park, I use a windshield sun blocking shade. I usually crack the windows a bit. This is so I'm not starting from a enclosed oven build up heat.
I also start out with the windows rolled down, and allow the vehicle to circulate the hotter air out.

Then there is a LOT of often conflicting advice about using your air conditioning, I don't present this as absolutely for sure the best thing to do, it's what I do. After I've driven enough to circulate out the hottest air in vehicle I turn on the air conditioning....usually full blast, with the vent set to recirculate. When it's blowing cold..I then roll up all the windows.

This doesn't make the Fit a refrigerator. But it does allow the vehicle to be comfortably cool.
For sure, in the 90's each degree closer to 100, and the effectiveness lessens. But....for me? The Fit Air Conditioning is passable.

Old 08-19-2019, 10:41 AM
5 Year Member
...That depends...the system at normal operating efficiency is dependent on the outdoor ambient air and humidity to determine the cooling efficiency. The system essentially can only remove so much moisture and reduce the dry air temperature for a given outdoor temp/humidity. There are more qualified people that me but you would need to measure the wet & dry bulb temperature of the air coming out of the car's plenum and measure the wet bulb/dry of the outdoor air (in the shade) to determine if the car is operating at normal operating efficiency. A chart is included that shows the theoretical reduction in air moisture content prior to reducing the temperature of the drier air. Honda has this curve mapped but I cannot find it online for the GK nor GE models.

Old 08-20-2019, 06:53 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Jazu
...That depends...the system at normal operating efficiency is dependent on the outdoor ambient air and humidity to determine the cooling efficiency. The system essentially can only remove so much moisture and reduce the dry air temperature for a given outdoor temp/humidity. There are more qualified people that me but you would need to measure the wet & dry bulb temperature of the air coming out of the car's plenum and measure the wet bulb/dry of the outdoor air (in the shade) to determine if the car is operating at normal operating efficiency. A chart is included that shows the theoretical reduction in air moisture content prior to reducing the temperature of the drier air. Honda has this curve mapped but I cannot find it online for the GK nor GE models.
whatever , the AC's really weak

Old 08-20-2019, 08:11 AM
5 Year Member
In the shade record the inside AC output temperature and outside temperatures and humidity and report back. If you have a humidity gauge like a cheap LCD one use it. I can refer these numbers to see if you’re AC needs a tune up.

Old 08-28-2019, 03:51 PM
5 Year Member
I haven't had any newer vehicles to compare to, my 03 wrx AC was OK at best. The AC in my 2019 sport is great. I routinely turn the coldness knob up a few clicks when it's getting too cold, even when it's been in the 90's a few times the last few weeks.

No complaints at all with the AC on my 6 speed - I don't have eco mode to futz with.

Tint has improved things even more recently. I am considering a window shade but can't find a nice fitted one for this giant windshield.

Old 08-28-2019, 09:23 PM
5 Year Member
i'll have to try just cranking it up way higher next time . maybe it's calibrated like the engine and tranny . little honda 4 bangers can really get up
and scoot when you wind them out

Old 08-30-2019, 12:23 PM
5 Year Member
The best thing you can do is (what was suggested above):
- park your car where the sun will come in through the windshield
- purchase a sunshade and use it
- cool the car off initially by driving with the windows down then engage the air conditioning
- windows up
- draw fresh air in first then move to recirculation

only works on days when it's not raining.

Old 09-08-2019, 02:34 PM
5 Year Member
For those that bought a sun shade. Where did you get it and what size is it. I was desperate and bought a universal one at Walmart. Its ok but not the best fit.

Quick Reply: (2019) AC Very Weak