3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

(2019) AC Very Weak

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2019, 02:39 PM
5 Year Member
Weather Tech sells great windshield shades

Old 09-08-2019, 05:03 PM
5 Year Member
WeatherTech is way overpriced. Just got this intro tech one that was highly recommended on this board

Intro-Tech HD-88-P Silver Custom...
Amazon Amazon

Old 09-08-2019, 11:25 PM
5 Year Member
Snowflake yankees

Geewhiz, fellas, whatta bunch sweaty babies. Just kidding). Try living in Nashville. We're still having 90+ degree and 105 heat indexes in the first week of September. Window tint, sun shades, hite das pads, park in the shade (if any)

The best AC I've had in a small car was the ACHV in a Suzi SX. The car was slightly larger than the Fit and had 2 liter engine. Cool within a mile (or warm, depending on need).

Old 09-09-2019, 01:29 AM
Originally Posted by mysugarpie2
For those that bought a sun shade. Where did you get it and what size is it. I was desperate and bought a universal one at Walmart. Its ok but not the best fit.
Bought generic ones from autozone. does its job. all you need is some reflective cover, better than nothing. having said that, the Fit's windshield is very tall, so it doesn't go all the way down. Definitely a must first-thing-you buy thing.

Old 09-09-2019, 08:39 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mysugarpie2
For those that bought a sun shade. Where did you get it and what size is it. I was desperate and bought a universal one at Walmart. Its ok but not the best fit.
Intro-Tech Automotive Ultimate Reflector Car Sun Shade

Bought it on autoanything, but looks like the one linked above by Jazu. I followed the link and looks like there are pictures where the fitment isn't great. Not sure if they got the wrong one, but mine fits better. It has little wings on the side (you can see it on the right side) so I wonder if that person got the wrong model sent to them. I'll try to take a picture while in the car to post in comparison.

As you can see, I park away from the building near the tree line. It helps keep the car cooler and the little bit of exercise walking to the building doesn't hurt. It's funny that I was the only one that used to park out in "no man's land", but since I've started others join me out there now.

Old 09-09-2019, 08:19 PM
5 Year Member
Inside view of the Intro-Tech Automotive Ultimate Reflector Car Sun Shade

Intro-Tech Automotive Ultimate Reflector Car Sun Shade

Old 09-09-2019, 09:30 PM
5 Year Member
Great pictures and Day 4 of owning the Intro-Tech is better than any other general sun shade - it fits the fit well and is easy to keep up.

Old 09-13-2019, 01:37 PM
5 Year Member
I find that in 94 deg F temperatures the car gets comfortably cool inside after about 15 miles of driving, but only as long as it is a cloudy day. If it there is also sunshine, in addition to 94 deg F temperatures, the sun passing though the car's windows and the huge area of plastic under the windshield that gets painfully hot, these keep the car's interior from getting comfortable. On a sunshiny day unless the outside temperatuer is 85 deg F or less, the car's interior doesn't cool down enough for me. I can be cool if I direct the blower vents onto my face and hands, but I don't feel cool sitting in the back seat.

Old 04-19-2020, 07:23 PM
Question 3rd Gen AC in Hot Climate

Hi, I'm hoping to buy a 2019 EX-L in the next week or so. There seems to be a lot of people on Reddit talking about how their cars don't get cold in the summer months. I live in Southern California and can expect months of 90-100 degree weather. Could anybody in a hot climate let me know if the AC works fine?

I've seen people suggesting tinting windows, or using sunshades in the windows. I have no issue with that, but to think a modern vehicle doesn't get cold blows my mind.

Also, I tried using the search function because I can't imagine this topic hasn't been brought up before, but it truly is a terrible search function. lol.

Old 04-22-2020, 08:22 PM
5 Year Member
St Louis Metro. We only have a week or two of 100F with 70+F dew points. Stupid hot on that week. The A/C is adequate. Not great. Adequate. I'm old and fat, so more susceptible to it. I have the rear windows tinted and always use a windshield screen. You'll never be frozen out, but also never uncomfortable. I have a 25 mile interstate trip. Usually on high until I pull off for the last couple miles, and then turn it down. Adequate.

Old 04-22-2020, 08:54 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by robs
The A/C is adequate. Not great. Adequate.
Living in east TN, here, summer is pretty hot, and long, and this is how I would describe it. Wife and I are OK with the AC performance, but the AC in her '10 Kia Forte SX, 2.4 liter, is far more robust. Yeah, "adequate" is a good word...

Old 04-22-2020, 09:00 PM
Thanks! The weather finally got hot (we've had a weird year) and I'm gonna do another test drive on Friday. So I'll get to see first hand.

The one I'm looking at has black leather interior and I just realized that'll probably make it a little warmer than fabric seats.

Old 04-22-2020, 09:01 PM
5 Year Member
"Adequate" is how I've been describing the AC since I got the car in 2014. Mind you, we live in Tampa Bay, so it's on all the time 8 months of the year. Tinting helps, but it takes time to cool down after being parked in the sun for a while, and most of our trips are short.

Old 04-22-2020, 09:05 PM
Cool, thanks. What a selling point! Buy the Honda Fit. The AC blows adequately cold!

Having said that, I'm probably gonna buy it. lol.

Old 04-22-2020, 10:02 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by electricDETH
Cool, thanks. What a selling point! Buy the Honda Fit. The AC blows adequately cold!

LOL. I put the Weathertech window visors, or whatever they call them on ours. It's a black Fit, 35 tint, of course the usual dark interior (we've an LX, so no leather)...if I leave it parked outside in warm/hot weather, I just leave all 4 windows cracked, and if there's any sort of breeze, it helps keep it a little cooler "somewhat" ….I don't mind heat, too much, a lot of times I'll crank all windows down in the summer, turn off the stereo, and just listen to winding the gears through the Tanabe axleback. I love this car

Old 04-22-2020, 10:24 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by electricDETH

You'll be happy you did. I love mine, it's terrific. But the AC is its weakest feature.

Old 04-23-2020, 09:15 AM
It sucks, but we bought one anyway.

Old 04-23-2020, 09:35 AM
I find the A/C in the Fit great for me - just me. When fully loaded with my family, it is insufficient to prevent complaints from the backseat.

As others have said, and OP has mentioned, window tint, sunshade when parked, and window visors help immensely.

Old 04-23-2020, 09:50 AM
5 Year Member
Like someone said, the AC is adequate but not great. I think it's important to keep the dash area as cool as possible so that's why I use a sunshade when parked, especially if you have to park in the sun. The reason is the air has to travel through the vents so if it's got vents it takes a while to cool this as well so they'll sap cool air. If possible try to park in the shade. I just recently got the weathertech visors and I've had visors on my previous car. Keep econ mode off as that reduces the effectiveness for better fuel economy.

Old 04-23-2020, 03:25 PM
If you park indoors it might be okay. Outdoors in the sun, well, it takes a good while to cool down the interior- not so much the air as the dash and other surfaces, plus everything the air has to blow past before it gets into the passenger compartment. Once things are cooled down it's not horrible.

Quick Reply: (2019) AC Very Weak