3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

2015 Fit: How to Prevent or Delay the "Replace Fuel Injector" problem?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2019, 03:42 PM
5 Year Member
2015 Fit: How to Prevent or Delay the "Replace Fuel Injector" problem?

I bought my new 2015 Honda Fit EX CVT in 2014 that was delivered on September 22, 2014.

It is no longer under warranty.

I have read on this forum many horror stories about the issues with the poorly designed fuel injectors that fail and have repair costs of around $1500-$2200.

Thankfully I have yet to have the issue and I am trying to do everything possible to not experience it.

In the past I have filled up with Top Tier gas about every other fill-up.

This is what I will be doing from now on:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Only doing fill-up's with Top Tier gas

On the next five fill-ups I am putting in a can of Chevron Techron Complete Fuel System Cleaner 12oz

Thereafter I will add a additional can every four fill-ups.

I was able to purchase 10x Techron 12oz for $48.60 (tax included)

If anyone has any additional ideas please post them

Last edited by CIOWN; 06-18-2019 at 03:48 PM.
Old 06-18-2019, 04:09 PM
5 Year Member
I routinely fill up with the cheapest gas I can find, typically Murphy which is a Walmart brand and is not Top tier. Touch wood, I haven't had a problem with injector issues and I am at almost 78K. I also get about 44-47 MPG per tank. I empathize with the owners who have had injector issues, but I'm not sure if there is really anything as end users we can do if there is a defect in the product.

I'll keep doing what I'm doing and will report back if my situation changes.

Feel free to do whatever voodoo you want and report back on it's effectiveness.

Hopefully both of us have no problems

Old 06-18-2019, 04:25 PM
5 Year Member
I don't have a 2015, but a 2017 LX CVT. I put the cheapest 87 octane available. At 38K miles, no issue, no indications of misfire so far. Most of my driving is single person highway, so there are times when I can get calculated 50 mpg between topping off each fill. (The Honda mpg display is not accurate and should not be used to brag about mpg). I have gone over 500 miles on a full tank (11.33 gallons) of gas.

Last edited by wasserball; 06-18-2019 at 04:30 PM.
Old 06-18-2019, 04:25 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 2Rismo2
I routinely fill up with the cheapest gas I can find, typically Murphy which is a Walmart brand and is not Top tier. Touch wood, I haven't had a problem with injector issues and I am at almost 78K. I also get about 44-47 MPG per tank. I empathize with the owners who have had injector issues, but I'm not sure if there is really anything as end users we can do if there is a defect in the product.

I'll keep doing what I'm doing and will report back if my situation changes.

Feel free to do whatever voodoo you want and report back on it's effectiveness.

Hopefully both of us have no problems

The problems with the poorly designed fuel injectors (Honda knows this and has issued a TSB on it) is that they become clogged. Poor gas (non Top Tier) and just normal carbon buildup because of the poor design seems to be the main reason.

If using Top Tier gas and doing a Fuel Cleaning maintenance is what you consider to be VooDoo then so be it.
As for posting results. If I never get the dreaded fuel injector failure then I will consider doing the above well worth it.

Old 06-18-2019, 04:28 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by wasserball
I don't have a 2015, but a 2017 LX CVT. I put the cheapest 87 octane available. At 38K miles, no issue so far. Most of my driving is single person highway, so there are times when I can get 50 mpg topping off between calculations. (The Honda mpg display is not accurate and should not be used to brag about mpg).
2015 and early 2016 have the poorly designed fuel injectors. Your 2017 does not so you should be okay.

Old 06-18-2019, 05:28 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by wasserball
I have gone over 500 miles on a full tank (11.33 gallons) of gas.
You actually fit 11.33 gallons in your tank? When mine is down to "empty"/zero bars on the gas gauge, am lucky to get 9.5 gallons in …..I thought the tank was 10.something gallons? Perhaps your gas station has inaccurate gas pumps to gouge you for more $$$? Just wonderin'...

Old 06-18-2019, 06:11 PM
5 Year Member
I have a 2016 and got them replaced under warranty (injectors). I was using cheap gas.

Old 06-18-2019, 09:28 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fuelish
You actually fit 11.33 gallons in your tank? When mine is down to "empty"/zero bars on the gas gauge, am lucky to get 9.5 gallons in …..I thought the tank was 10.something gallons? Perhaps your gas station has inaccurate gas pumps to gouge you for more $$$? Just wonderin'...
I am not promoting this filling to anyone. I top it off. Control the nozzle until it is flowing very slowly. Don't stop until you see the gas at the very top of the filler neck. There is at least 1/2 gallon from the tank that is under the driver's seat to the filler cap. This is the most accurate way I know to determine the amount of gas used between fill up. Using the nozzle auto turn off to indicate full is not accurate. Using the Honda gauge mpg indicator is even worst. Sorry, the most I have ever filled was 11.318. 11.163 11.156 11.162. I know when the gas gauge shows no bars I have at lease 6 miles to go before the tank is completely empty. I wouldn't try that unless you know gas stations are nearby, and you are willing to do some walking if you do run out . I would not take this chance if I am crossing western part of Texas or driving across the Mojave Desert.

OK guys, don't give me the classic crap about starving the fuel pump and allowing it to overheat.

Last edited by wasserball; 06-18-2019 at 10:11 PM.
Old 06-19-2019, 05:11 AM
5 Year Member
I'm at 113k miles on a Christmas week 2014 build EX 6 gear. I've only had annoying issues with the car, nothing serious, and nothing replaced other than gas, tires, and oil, and recently a battery. For problems you only really hear from pissed off people on forums. I'd jump in mine and drive across the country right now without fear.

Old 06-19-2019, 09:13 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by robs
I'm at 113k miles on a Christmas week 2014 build EX 6 gear. I've only had annoying issues with the car, nothing serious, and nothing replaced other than gas, tires, and oil, and recently a battery. For problems you only really hear from pissed off people on forums. I'd jump in mine and drive across the country right now without fear.
Unfortunately, there is value in some of the complaints. Honda is not perfect. Because of the high amount of fuel injector problems in the 2015 models, Honda changed the design (?). and there are less or no complaints in the subsequent model years. Car forums do identify manufacture flaws and unwanted issues. For example, the BMW tagline was "the ultimate driving machine". However, in the early 2000 model years, BMW decided to softening the steering, including my 330i 5 spd manual with the sports package to accommodate the less sporty drivers as well. There was such a negative response in the BMW car forums about the soft "Buick steering" that BMW caved in and offered all 330i drivers the opportunity to change back to the old steering rack at their chosen dealer. Guess what? I took that offer. .Another case in point. The Porsche (991) 911 GT3, a limited production track car for street use came with only one gear box, a double clutch manual PDK because a track car is for speed, and the PDK can change gears much faster than you can with a 6 speed manual. Potential buyers who don't always track their cars complaint. Porsche caved in and offered a 6 speed manual the following year. You see car forums identify problems and issues that manufacturers can see. I would not be surprised if Honda has someone lurking in this forum.

Last edited by wasserball; 06-19-2019 at 09:32 AM.
Old 06-19-2019, 01:12 PM
5 Year Member
Well, the Honda reps used to lurk here, and occasionally chime in, but that was before the injectors and starters started imploding. Haven't heard a peep from them lately. Full-time job fielding concerns if someone from Honda wants it.

Old 06-27-2019, 08:18 PM
Interesting thread, I wasn't aware of this... glad the problem was sorted out. Manufacturers are always tweaking for cost savings/ performance, not surprised to see some issues arise. Ironically, my two Preludes have never had injector issues... back in the EFI days they were concerned with longevity, so no cheap bits .

Old 06-27-2019, 09:51 PM
5 Year Member
I remember a thread once where someone actually explained the design issue that made the fuel injectors susceptible to failure, And at the time I thought I understood it. I've since forgotten the details.
But what I remember is it's ALL in the design and how they work in practice. So unfortunately there isn't much you can do. It's not something that necessarily will happen if you run cheaper gasoline, nor is it something you can prevent by running more expensive gasoline or fuel system cleaners.
I think you drive and hope you don't have a problem...and then unfortunately deal with it and make decisions when and if you do.

Old 06-27-2019, 10:23 PM
5 Year Member
To all the 2015 owners. Just drive the car. Put in gas, change the oil once in a while. The old cliche, don't fix it if it is not broken. Don't get sleepless nights thinking about them.

Old 03-05-2021, 02:18 PM
Finally got me

I guess, according to the lights on my dash and my trusted mechanic, I need this replacement done. Was quoted about $2400.. That seems very painful, but after 182,000 miles on our 2015 and no other major issues I am not going to gripe. After all I have a goal of at least 300,000 miles. The car in all other aspects is a 9 and my wife loves it AND you can't get purple anymore!!!

Old 03-06-2021, 05:36 AM
Originally Posted by AngiSamFit
I guess, according to the lights on my dash and my trusted mechanic, I need this replacement done. Was quoted about $2400.. That seems very painful, but after 182,000 miles on our 2015 and no other major issues I am not going to gripe. After all I have a goal of at least 300,000 miles. The car in all other aspects is a 9 and my wife loves it AND you can't get purple anymore!!!
thats insane. I can buy a new (used) engine off a parts car for $400 here in Los Angeles. I’d do that all day before I pay 2500 for an injector job. I’m sure I can swap that engine out in half a day. Check your wrecked car dismantlers. You’d be surprised how cheap parts are for these cars. Mine has 180K and it’s a 2015 as well. I just got it. If the injectors fail and it’s looking at 2500 you best believe it’s getting a new engine 😂😂

Old 03-06-2021, 02:47 PM
5 Year Member
A $2400 price for new injectors seems high, near the upper end of what I seem to recall other people quoting for this in other posts. Of course region/location may be a factor.

Old 03-16-2021, 11:04 PM
5 Year Member
Used engine $400

Originally Posted by CVG323
thats insane. I can buy a new (used) engine off a parts car for $400 here in Los Angeles. I’d do that all day before I pay 2500 for an injector job. I’m sure I can swap that engine out in half a day. Check your wrecked car dismantlers. You’d be surprised how cheap parts are for these cars. Mine has 180K and it’s a 2015 as well. I just got it. If the injectors fail and it’s looking at 2500 you best believe it’s getting a new engine 😂😂
It's $400 but the fuel injectors are sold separately! So is the tb and injector manifold. You get valve cover to oil pan. I bought one!

Old 03-18-2021, 03:16 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by CVG323
I'm confused- why would you buy a used engine to deal with an injector problem on an otherwise-fine engine? The used engine's going to have used injectors, too. If anything, I'd think you'd just want to grab some used new-design injectors (pn 16010-5R1-315 vs the old design pn 16010-5R1-305) and go from there.

Edit: Here's the relevant TSB btw since I see it's not attached in this thread:

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
A18-027.pdf (1.11 MB, 281 views)

Last edited by Jared592; 03-18-2021 at 03:24 PM.