3rd Gen GK Specific Fit Exterior Modifications & JDM Styling Sub-Forum Threads discussing exterior modifications and JDM styling for the 3rd Gen GK Honda Fit

Curt Hitch Installation Knowledge for the Honda Fit GK

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2020, 05:06 PM
5 Year Member
Curt Hitch Installation Knowledge for the Honda Fit GK

I installed the Curt 11406 hitch to my 2019 Fit LX (CVT). This novice took 4.3 hours to install start-to-finish with the exhaust hangers being the most work and time. I did the job by myself with no help from my lazy family who thought it was simply too hot to go outside and disconnect from the KOVID-mania media and flickering screens; such is life.

Main tips:
1. Tools - add WD-40, ramps and chocks, roll of tape, sturdy gloves, and patience to the Curt instructions
2. Wear gloves for working in pinch points and on those #$%#$% exhaust hangers.
3. Exhaust hangers - Lubricate both side of the rubber grommet and hanger with WD-40 (or a detergent solution) THEN remove the body part of the rubber grommet hanger first on both sides - starting with the upper part that holds the body hanger first.
3. Support the exhaust using anything that stacks or a spare Harbor "Fright" recalled useless jack stand.
4. When reverse fishwiring the bolt and SP2 spacers so that the long end of the SP2 spacer is pointing toward the back of the car. Note this is not discussed in the text or pictures but is clearly shown in the diagram. That long end might aid in distributing the forces in the right direction.
5. LEAVE the fishwires on the both bolts even when starting the hitch hanging process - fishing the fishwire through the hitch mounting bolts. This prevents you from losing those bolts into the frame - where they'll sing to you for the entire ownership period of the car (thank you WWW for that tip).
6. once you remove the fishwires - be very careful to thread those nuts on the bolts - again another opportunity to lose those bolts into the frame forever.
7. TAPE the SP22 spacer for the driver side mount to the hitch so that you don't lose it when hanging the hitch (especially by yourself).

The muffler on my LX only has about 1-3 mm clearance from the mounting nut and will hit that nut when the muffler moves up and down during a bump. It didn't witness any vibration in city or highway test driving with the rack installed and those (3 lazy willing participants to be) passengers who were coaxed out of their flickering screen slumber to go get some frozen dairy dessert.

Pictures to come. Enjoy Freaks.

Last edited by Jazu; 06-21-2020 at 05:13 PM. Reason: I like editing
Old 06-21-2020, 05:13 PM
5 Year Member
Remove the outboard upper grommet first - it makes re

inboard

outboard
moving the inboard grommet from the exhaust hanger.

Old 06-21-2020, 05:22 PM
5 Year Member
Tape that SP22 spacer to the drivers' side mount

tape that SP22 in place - cut a pilot hole to allow the bolt and fishwire to come through.

Old 06-21-2020, 05:25 PM
5 Year Member
I bought the Curt from e Trailer dot com - who had the best price weeks ago - $90 including free shipping if I spent $99 (so I bought a few extra bike rack rubber tie downs that I needed anyway).

It took a while to come into e Trailer and ship out - Curt was either really busy or eTrailer was waiting for a truckload to come from Curt.

Old 06-21-2020, 05:27 PM
5 Year Member
Instructions and videos are attached.

Attached Files
Old 06-21-2020, 05:31 PM
5 Year Member
Car was reversed up on a set of ramps - tail up. I placed the hitch in my lap then laid down and moved under the car - making it easier by myself to raise the hitch into place and install the

fasteners onto the center hitch mounts so that it hung free to complete the end fasteners.

Last edited by Jazu; 06-21-2020 at 05:31 PM. Reason: I like editing
Old 06-21-2020, 10:23 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Jazu
I installed the Curt 11406 hitch to my 2019 Fit LX (CVT). This novice took 4.3 hours to install start-to-finish with the exhaust hangers being the most work and time. I did the job by myself with no help from my lazy family who thought it was simply too hot to go outside and disconnect from the KOVID-mania media and flickering screens; such is life.

Main tips:
1. Tools - add WD-40, ramps and chocks, roll of tape, sturdy gloves, and patience to the Curt instructions
2. Wear gloves for working in pinch points and on those #$%#$% exhaust hangers.
3. Exhaust hangers - Lubricate both side of the rubber grommet and hanger with WD-40 (or a detergent solution) THEN remove the body part of the rubber grommet hanger first on both sides - starting with the upper part that holds the body hanger first.
3. Support the exhaust using anything that stacks or a spare Harbor "Fright" recalled useless jack stand.
4. When reverse fishwiring the bolt and SP2 spacers so that the long end of the SP2 spacer is pointing toward the back of the car. Note this is not discussed in the text or pictures but is clearly shown in the diagram. That long end might aid in distributing the forces in the right direction.
5. LEAVE the fishwires on the both bolts even when starting the hitch hanging process - fishing the fishwire through the hitch mounting bolts. This prevents you from losing those bolts into the frame - where they'll sing to you for the entire ownership period of the car (thank you WWW for that tip).
6. once you remove the fishwires - be very careful to thread those nuts on the bolts - again another opportunity to lose those bolts into the frame forever.
7. TAPE the SP22 spacer for the driver side mount to the hitch so that you don't lose it when hanging the hitch (especially by yourself).

The muffler on my LX only has about 1-3 mm clearance from the mounting nut and will hit that nut when the muffler moves up and down during a bump. It didn't witness any vibration in city or highway test driving with the rack installed and those (3 lazy willing participants to be) passengers who were coaxed out of their flickering screen slumber to go get some frozen dairy dessert.

Pictures to come. Enjoy Freaks.
Congratulations! You deserve a beer on Father's day.

Old 06-22-2020, 12:07 AM
Well done! Would you mind to share a picture of the hitch mounted? It looks you didn't need to cut the bumper.

Old 06-22-2020, 01:30 PM
5 Year Member
Thank you - getting the car ready for a long weekend to ride some bike trails in the Berkshires (western Massachusetts, USA).

No cutting of the bumper. The only clearance issue is the R-side hitch mount's nut and the muffler. I'll find out this weekend on a LD, high speed trip if there are vibration or MPG issues. I also checked clearance by backing it up into steep driveways, parking lot entrance, etc (with those passengers and bikes on the rack) - no issues. Curt Mfg

Fit/Jazz LX CVT clearance with Curt Hitch
did their homework!

Old 06-22-2020, 04:13 PM
Great Job! Stay cool! I did mine years ago on my 2015 and now my 2017. A bit tricky with the muffler but once you get past that its not too bad. All the best!

Bass

Tube mounted 7 way trailer plug

Aftermarket rear bumper appliqué.

Old 07-02-2020, 10:43 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Jazu
I bought the Curt from e Trailer dot com - who had the best price weeks ago - $90 including free shipping if I spent $99 (so I bought a few extra bike rack rubber tie downs that I needed anyway).

It took a while to come into e Trailer and ship out - Curt was either really busy or eTrailer was waiting for a truckload to come from Curt.
I put a hitch on my car in December, 2014. I'm not sure of the make, but it's almost tucked out of site. Someone here recommended it. I use it to pull a flatbed trailer, and I also have a bike rack for it. Right now, the wiring harness isn't working. : (

Here's the one I got - the Eco Hitch. It cost $250 delivered in 2014. Now it's $453. At the time, I had a choice of the 2" or 1.25" receiver. I got the larger one because I thought it would be easier to get accessories that size.

https://www.etrailer.com/p-306-X7273...da&hhmodel=Fit

Last edited by SilverEX15; 07-02-2020 at 11:07 AM.
Old 01-11-2022, 06:58 PM
How steep are hills???

Thank you so much for posting this - so steep hills and parking garage ramps, etc are okay with the bikes on the back? I just want to make sure I understand; 2019 Fit, Curt hitch, and bike rack. No scraping when going up hills and over bumps and stuff?

Thanks so much in advance. I have Autism so I like to have things repeated or clarified.

QUOTE=Jazu;1447469]Thank you - getting the car ready for a long weekend to ride some bike trails in the Berkshires (western Massachusetts, USA).

No cutting of the bumper. The only clearance issue is the R-side hitch mount's nut and the muffler. I'll find out this weekend on a LD, high speed trip if there are vibration or MPG issues. I also checked clearance by backing it up into steep driveways, parking lot entrance, etc (with those passengers and bikes on the rack) - no issues. Curt Mfg

did their homework![/QUOTE]

Old 01-11-2022, 07:00 PM
Going Forwards?

Also; you use the words, “Backing up?” What about going forward up hills of the same steepness?

Originally Posted by Mueller747
Thank you so much for posting this - so steep hills and parking garage ramps, etc are okay with the bikes on the back? I just want to make sure I understand; 2019 Fit, Curt hitch, and bike rack. No scraping when going up hills and over bumps and stuff?

Thanks so much in advance. I have Autism so I like to have things repeated or clarified.

QUOTE=Jazu;1447469]Thank you - getting the car ready for a long weekend to ride some bike trails in the Berkshires (western Massachusetts, USA).

did their homework!
[/QUOTE]

Old 01-12-2022, 06:45 AM
5 Year Member
Correct - zero issues since installation for bolt loosening, scraping on changes in road surfaces, and the like.