3rd Gen GK Specific Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Sub-Forum Threads discussing engine mods/swaps/tuning for the third generation GK Honda Fit.

Need test gk for rv6 exhaust testing......

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2017, 01:20 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by TougeMonster_GK5
As quiet and stock sounding my current HKS Cool Style Exhaust is, i actually think it might work! Only one way to find out right? On a side note, I wonder how many other GK5 owners stateside are currently rocking the same exhaust:

It may work! I'm using a Max Flo Pro Muffler. It's a straight through design and is the biggest muffler I could find that was straight through. It works fine for me. I woudn't get one of those small body-sized mufflers that are straight through (Like the J's Racing 50r) or so many other mufflers I have seen. You gonna really hear it then.

Old 08-23-2017, 01:44 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Myxalplyx
It may work! I'm using a Max Flo Pro Muffler. It's a straight through design and is the biggest muffler I could find that was straight through. It works fine for me. I woudn't get one of those small body-sized mufflers that are straight through (Like the J's Racing 50r) or so many other mufflers I have seen. You gonna really hear it then.
Thanks for the responses so far guys! I think I will just throw it on and see what happens. If I am not satisfied, will have to sell. *crossing fingers*

Btw I am not too concerned about louder sound, really more just the fumes and smell... i guess the best i can can do at stops is just close the windows and recirc the A/C... ill report again after i make my observations!

Old 08-24-2017, 05:31 AM
5 Year Member
Had to drive the family around for a while today and had the windows down most of the time. Wife has a pretty sensitive nose, but she never said a thing- and she's not one to keep quiet. There's a few foods I can't cook unless she goes out of town for a few days, and she still complains when she comes home.

Still stock exhaust, but keep looking at the Tanabe medallion. Probably too loud with the catless, but I like the tone. Doubt that would make much difference with any smell, though.

Old 08-24-2017, 12:17 PM
5 Year Member
Pulled the trigger. Had to let the pros install for the sake of time efficiency and of course, the proper tools. Stay tuned!

Old 08-24-2017, 02:09 PM
5 Year Member
Installed!

immediate observations: improved midrange, exhaust note is deeper, a bit raspy as reported by others at around 3k rpm which i believe is the resonance coming from the flex pipe, and lastly, fumes stink! I think it will be bareable tho. Im hoping the fumes will be lessened after initial break in..
overall, i think im satisfied. Now, i need to dyno!!

Old 08-24-2017, 07:20 PM
5 Year Member
Great job! How’s the exhaust volume with your hks coolstyle?

Old 08-25-2017, 01:49 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by hydesg
Great job! How’s the exhaust volume with your hks coolstyle?
Just as I expected, the combo of rv6 catless dp + hks cool style sounds a lot more aggressive. Before the dp, hks cool style literally sounded 1 or 2 clicks louder than stock muffler. With dp, 3-5 clicks with deeper tone and nice purr. i think with the right aftermarket midpipe would be the cherry on top. If time allows, i will post a video sound clip inside and outside of vehicle.

Old 08-25-2017, 06:12 AM
5 Year Member
Just as I expected, the combo of rv6 catless dp + hks cool style sounds a lot more aggressive. Before the dp, hks cool style literally sounded 1 or 2 clicks louder than stock muffler. With dp, 3-5 clicks with deeper tone and nice purr. i think with the right aftermarket midpipe would be the cherry on top. If time allows, i will post a video sound clip inside and outside of vehicle.

Nice. Does it sound like mine on page 4?
I posted a video previously

Old 08-26-2017, 09:54 PM
5 Year Member
I'll add this again but I have zero raspiness. I had raspiness with my J's Racing 50R muffler though.

I've changed my exhaust several times. Tried 2.5". I even had a resonator and 2 mufflers (Connected inline), with the J's Racing Muffler and J's Racing cat delete. Raspiness still. Even tried a different type of resonator on the B pipe. Rasp.....

Only when I changed to the biggest muffler I could find that was straight through (2" Max Flo Pro), did the raspiness disappear. Currently running RV6 catless, J's Racing B pipe (Resonated) and Max Flo Pro muffler. All 2" piping! Very deep sound and no raspiness.

I don't want to see people becoming disappointed from the sound combo of the freer flowing catless pipe and an aftermarket muffler. Changing the cat piece out releases power but with it extra sound. You gonna have to harness that extra sound without killing your power. Just a heads up! Again...heh

Old 09-14-2017, 03:18 PM
5 Year Member
Finally got around this. Wanted to share before my trip to Asia.

Cheers!

https://youtu.be/_zq_RIUgYHk

Last edited by TougeMonster_GK5; 09-14-2017 at 03:21 PM.
Old 09-14-2017, 03:27 PM
Nice! Thanks for posting.

Old 09-14-2017, 06:15 PM
Super Moderator

Cheers!

Sounds great!

Old 09-14-2017, 07:04 PM
5 Year Member

Cheers!

Sounds great! Not very loud

Old 10-03-2017, 01:38 AM
5 Year Member
For anyone interested, I can confirm a large straight through perforated core muffler will get rid of the raspy sound. I used a Magnaflow 12224, it needs to be offset at the muffler inlet. Very deep tone, I'm not tech savvy enough to put a video on youtube though. Even with an overpriced shiny exhaust tip, it still came in at $170 installed (ordered the parts from summit racing and took them to a local shop), so significantly cheaper than any of the aftermarket exhausts I've been looking at.

Old 10-06-2017, 01:55 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by hasdrubal
For anyone interested, I can confirm a large straight through perforated core muffler will get rid of the raspy sound.
Thank you! I have been saying this for a while now. With a LOT of emphasis on the word 'Large'. The smaller, cooler looking mufflers let too much sound come through. And with it, the raspiness. I love the look of my 50R but man, it's just too much.

Old 10-08-2017, 07:47 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Myxalplyx
Thank you! I have been saying this for a while now. With a LOT of emphasis on the word 'Large'. The smaller, cooler looking mufflers let too much sound come through. And with it, the raspiness. I love the look of my 50R but man, it's just too much.
Myxalplyx, wanted to ask you this - how is the resonator for the J's mid pipe? Do you think it is better at resonating than the stock one?

Old 10-10-2017, 09:34 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by hasdrubal
For anyone interested, I can confirm a large straight through perforated core muffler will get rid of the raspy sound. I used a Magnaflow 12224, it needs to be offset at the muffler inlet. Very deep tone, I'm not tech savvy enough to put a video on youtube though. Even with an overpriced shiny exhaust tip, it still came in at $170 installed (ordered the parts from summit racing and took them to a local shop), so significantly cheaper than any of the aftermarket exhausts I've been looking at.
Thanks for that comment. Every video I've seen of the RV6 the exhaust sounds raspy after install. Personally not a fan of the raspy exhausts so I'm hesitant with getting it and not sounding good with the HKS Silent Hi Power exhaust I already have.