3rd Gen GK Specific Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Sub-Forum Threads discussing engine mods/swaps/tuning for the third generation GK Honda Fit.

Cold air intake

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2021 | 10:42 AM
|
5 Year Member
Cold air intake

I know there are a few different intakes for our cars but they all wrap back around near the firewall which I can't imagine is keeping things cool. I saw that the weaponR intake has a second part that you can use to make it a CAI. This got me thinking has anyone moved their battery to a different place like in the bumper area like a bunch of old civic guys do? I would imagine this would leave room to just shoot a 90 degree bend straight from the TB down to the bumper area where it can get really cold air. Anyone have any thoughts on the idae?

Old 01-16-2021 | 10:36 AM
5 Year Member
The intake temps are not going to change with the filter design facing front or back. Underhood temps are all the same throughout the engine bay on these cars. I'm using the AEM and it makes plenty of added power feel wise. And uses a heat shield to keep the exhaust manifold temps from effecting performance. PS: you don't need ice cold air to make power. You need a less restrictive intake system. That helps more than anything. And you never going to gain more than 4-5 hp when installing any intake on a Fit. Small engines don't see huge improvements like a V8 will.

Old 01-21-2021 | 08:11 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by JDMike78
I know there are a few different intakes for our cars but they all wrap back around near the firewall which I can't imagine is keeping things cool. I saw that the weaponR intake has a second part that you can use to make it a CAI. This got me thinking has anyone moved their battery to a different place like in the bumper area like a bunch of old civic guys do? I would imagine this would leave room to just shoot a 90 degree bend straight from the TB down to the bumper area where it can get really cold air. Anyone have any thoughts on the idae?
If you purchase a small battery, you can make the intake that you wish to make (90 degree). Even with making it a 90 degree turn, there is the issue of spacing between the upper grill and your intake to fit the air filter.

And you are right about the intake filter towards the firewall. Tested this multiple times along with testing multiple homemade intakes at the dragstrip, same day/same track and the worst 1/4 mile times and trap speeds were from the intake facing the firewall. And I had a HUGE S&B air filter installed (Looked and was designed like the Weapon R setup). No heat shield from the transmission. My time with this intake setup was worse than even my stock intake.

As for cold air, when I designed a couple of cold air setups, I gained 2mph in the 1/4 mile dropped a few 10ths as well. Protorque software measured up to 22hp difference with the full exhaust and intake setup vs stock. 1/4 mile times dropped by 2 seconds (17.2 to 15.2). Take it for what it's worth. It's all documented in this forum.

Old 02-22-2021 | 09:43 AM
5 Year Member
Cai

I have relocated my battery to the right rear quarter of the car. I have the WeaponR intake with ram air tubing being fed from the fog light. Intake air temps are typically 15* above ambient where they were closer to 30 above with the short ram. I am building a custom CAI with a couple mandrel bends and silicone tubes from a warehouse... hit me up if you want the weapon r intake and tubing. I'll make ya a good deal...