2nd Generation GE8 Specific Suspension & Brakes Sub-Forum Threads discussing suspension and brake related modifications for the 2nd generation Honda Fit (GE8)

Why no aftermarket FRONT sway bars?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 04:29 PM
5 Year Member
Road America :swoon:

Badger is pretty cool.

Shawano = Fap.

Old 07-15-2012, 02:32 PM
My 2012 Fit sport feels like it would roll down the highway if I had to swerve quickly. It feels waaaay too easy to roll.

Old 07-15-2012, 06:01 PM
Originally Posted by billhulsizer
My 2012 Fit sport feels like it would roll down the highway if I had to swerve quickly. It feels waaaay too easy to roll.
I just installed Swift springs and Progress RSB and I can tell you my Fit has transformed into a totally different car.

I also stepped up to a 205/50/16 tire and it handles so good I can't stop heading to the canyons.

The ride is still comfy enough for the whole family but the body roll is all but gone.I really cannot describe the big difference compared to stock

you need to take a ride in a Fit with Swifts and progress RSB

Old 07-15-2012, 08:20 PM
We auto x our 2012 FS. Only mod is camber bolts and 205's up front running 47# pressure. The fit wont roll unless you do something you shouldn't have. Fit rocks stock. I suppose I need some swift springs.

Old 11-16-2012, 10:39 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mkane
We auto x our 2012 FS. Only mod is camber bolts and 205's up front running 47# pressure. The fit wont roll unless you do something you shouldn't have. Fit rocks stock. I suppose I need some swift springs.
Why do you need camber bolts?...

Old 11-17-2012, 03:58 AM
5 Year Member
By your logic my GD should have barrel-rolled a long time ago. I take mine to the track, all stock, and rear spring rate on the GDs is more than 2x higher than that of the GE, which conventional logic dictates should mean a more nervous rear end and more oversteer.

I'm with mkane here. Relax, your GE won't roll - not on the street, and not on stock suspension, unless you're extremely clumsy with the brakes mid-corner in the rain...and even then you have ABS as a safety net (I don't).

Last edited by Type 100; 11-17-2012 at 04:01 AM.
Old 11-17-2012, 06:14 AM
Originally Posted by ed_in_texas
Why do you need camber bolts?...
The fit has 0 front camber stock, and under extreme cornering (like at an autocross or on track), the car will roll a few degrees and that means the front tires roll the same amount and then you are only using the outside edge of the front tire for grip. Adding negative camber leans the top of the front tire toward the center of the car so that the car rolls "onto" the contact patch, and front end grip is hugely increased.

Ingalls sells camber bolts used to do this and it's the biggest performance gain in extreme handling available (with the Progress rear swaybar being the second biggest improvement).

Chris

Old 11-17-2012, 07:09 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by RedShiftChris
Ingalls sells camber bolts used to do this and it's the biggest performance gain in extreme handling available

Chris
Thank you.

Will this work in rally cross on loose surfaces?

A bit of a poser without the skills/ money to really compete I like to try to raise eyebrows by doing one event just before discarding a set of tires. The car is a 2012 base model with a sport rear axle, 16 x7 TR motor sport wheels and 205x55x16 DWS tires... a little bit taller...

Camber bolts just might do the trick. Please speak up if you see a train wreck.

Last edited by ed_in_texas; 11-17-2012 at 07:12 AM.
Old 11-17-2012, 08:11 AM
Thank you.

Will this work in rally cross on loose surfaces?

A bit of a poser without the skills/ money to really compete I like to try to raise eyebrows by doing one event just before discarding a set of tires. The car is a 2012 base model with a sport rear axle, 16 x7 TR motor sport wheels and 205x55x16 DWS tires... a little bit taller...

Camber bolts just might do the trick. Please speak up if you see a train wreck.
cool... the key is to make the most of the grip you have. If you have bald tires, it may not make a big difference. If you have good rally tires, then it will absolutely make a difference because you want the grippy tread blocks in the dirt rather than not.

Because it's a strut front and a strut gains not camber under compression, the amount of body roll you have is also how much you wheels are rolling (positive camber)... so I would be it's common to see 3 degrees of roll on the Fit, and that means you are loose quite a bit of the tires grip.... if the tires are good.

If the tires are bald, maybe the outside edge gives you more grip???

Chris

Old 02-07-2013, 08:07 PM
i know this isnt what you are talking about but, all the rear sway bars that i have seen here in canada and usa they are more of a strut bar. they make the rear axle stiffer but they are not a real sway bar. from what i can see they never do connect to the frame of the car, just get screwed in just under the rear springs. is there any rear sway bar that is an actual real rear sway bar for the gd3?

Old 02-07-2013, 08:41 PM
^The Whiteline bar is more what you're looking for:
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...-sway-bar.html

Old 02-07-2013, 08:55 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Wanderer.
^The Whiteline bar is more what you're looking for:
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...-sway-bar.html
DO NOT BUY THIS

Whiteline products do not fit the USDM model Fit....

Its lower down in the above thread:

Originally Posted by feared
after going back n forth with whiteline about different issues and getting different hardware to test...

it wont fit USDM.

There isnt enough space between the fuel line and the torsion beam. From their diagram, it looks like the fuel line goes over the torsion beam, whereas the USDM one goes under.

And I myself bought several of there LCA bushings.... which are designed for a different market car with completley different LCA's.

I would LOVE to have a Whiteline type rear bar on my GD3, but I do not have the time to fabricate one OR safely/class legally re route my fuel return line...

Old 02-08-2013, 10:14 AM
Originally Posted by TPColgett
DO NOT BUY THIS

Whiteline products do not fit the USDM model Fit....

Its lower down in the above thread:
Good catch, that's what I get for not reading the whole thread

Weird that the fuel line would be different, seems like an odd thing to have a different part for JDM and USDM models. Maybe they ran into a safety issue DOT didn't like... idk?

Old 02-08-2013, 11:50 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Wanderer.
Good catch, that's what I get for not reading the whole thread

Weird that the fuel line would be different, seems like an odd thing to have a different part for JDM and USDM models. Maybe they ran into a safety issue DOT didn't like... idk?
I'm sure they ran into issues with the DOT, for more than just stretching the nose by more than 6 inches for a crash bar and better "pedestrian safety"

The lower control arms are COMPLETELY different... therefore maybe even more of the front suspension and lower cradle are too...

Old 02-20-2013, 09:45 PM
5 Year Member
I have no problems getting my GE8 to rotate on an autocross course, and even smaller road courses. Sometimes I read through all these suspension threads and think i'm the only one that doesn't have a rear sway bar... and I still don't want one. Is everybody else driving on a full tank of fuel during events?!

Old 02-21-2013, 03:25 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by The BOM
I have no problems getting my GE8 to rotate on an autocross course, and even smaller road courses. Sometimes I read through all these suspension threads and think i'm the only one that doesn't have a rear sway bar... and I still don't want one. Is everybody else driving on a full tank of fuel during events?!
No event expert here, but happy with sport rear axle with 205s on 7 inch rims.

I am lost on the fuel comment... What do you run for tire pressures and do you use stock camber?

Old 02-21-2013, 09:02 AM

I am lost on the fuel comment... What do you run for tire pressures and do you use stock camber?
Fuel comment mentioned probably because the fuel tank's under the drivers seat.

Old 02-21-2013, 06:39 PM
5 Year Member

I'm on about -2* camber up front, -1* on rear (stock, non-adjusted). Tire pressures are 44psi front and 38psi rear at temperature.
Wheels are 15x7.5 949racing 6ULs with 225/45/15 Hankook R-S3s.

Can't wait for BFG Rivals
Originally Posted by mkane
Fuel comment mentioned probably because the fuel tank's under the drivers seat.
You are correct. The car behaves quite differently depending on fuel load.

Old 02-21-2013, 07:07 PM
To bad it wasn't under the passenger seat.