2nd Generation GE8 Specific Suspension & Brakes Sub-Forum Threads discussing suspension and brake related modifications for the 2nd generation Honda Fit (GE8)

Honda Fit Suspension Lift

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2019 | 05:26 PM
|
Honda Fit Suspension Lift

Figure I would make a comprehensive how-to lift your GE8 Fit/Jazz. In addition to this post I self-hosted a wiki that I linked to. Enjoy!

Intro:

Though it is possible to lift the Honda Fit using only spacers, ideally only front spacers should be used, and the rear lift obtained via 2010-2104 Honda Insight springs, since spacers do not change any of the suspension load capacity and/or spring rates.

**Mr Gasket (Holley) Spacers:**

Mr Gasket (Holley) manufactures a universal spring spacer (Mr Gasket Part# 1287) that is reported to provide approximately a 25mm (1-inch) lift. It is reported that disassembly of the strut assembly is likely required when using this method, as well as cutting the spacer to fit.

Additionally it has also been reported to not last the longest as compared to other methods. Be aware as well that disassembly of Honda Fit struts can be difficult if the struts are worn/used to an extent that you might need to cut/destroy the strut shaft in order to disassemble them.

[url]https://www.holley.com/products/suspension_and_chassis/suspension_components/parts/128 7 |Mr Gasket 1-inch Spring Spacer

**Tema4x4 Spacers:**

A Russian company sells lift spacers for the Honda Fit/Jazz, both for the front and rear suspension. The company sells the spacers on eBay, Amazon, and directly through it's website.

[url]https://tema4x4.com/catalog/detail/prostavki_opor_perednikh_stoek_dlya_honda_hon_15_0 07_poliuretan/ |Tema4x4 Front Strut Lift Spacers

Tema4x4 sells two different styles of spacers, a 20mm spacer which is installed below the strut mount (which requires disassembly of the strut), and a 20mm or 30mm spacer which mounts above the strut mount (preferred method).

[url]https://drive.google.com/file/d/1fh5Pbt7iIJpU8IRBSmZNBUlebJ6cHmA4/view |20mm Below Strut Mount Spacer Diagram

[url]https://drive.google.com/file/d/1vJj20i1VLnimZxRasAovdteFmteHE4yx/view |20mm/30mm Above Strut Mount Spacer Diagram

**Honda Fit/Jazz Rally Suspension Swap (2010-2104 Honda Insight Suspension Interchangeability):**

Front and Rear coil springs from the 2010-2014 Honda Insight both fit the 2nd generation Honda Fit. The 2010-2011 Honda Insight front coil springs do not lift the fit, but are stiffer. The rear springs lift the Honda Fit approximately 2.5" inches. If your intent is to only lift the Honda Fit usage of the Honda Insight rear springs and 30mm front strut spacers is the fastest/cheapest method. If your intent is to only increase the load capacity, the rear springs can be used alone, but it will make the Honda Fit have a raked appearance.

**2010 Honda Insight Front Coil Spring(s)**
Part Number: 51401-TM8-A03
Notes: Non-progressive springs, appears to be 0.5mm thicker than stock 2013 Honda Springs, same height as stock 2013 Honda Fit coil springs. When installed on a 2nd generation Honda Fit, top of wheel-well sits at 25".

**2010 Honda Insight Rear Coil Spring(s)**
Part Number: 52441-TM8-A03
Notes: Non-progressive springs, significantly thicker than 2013 Honda Fit stock springs. When installed on a 2nd generation Honda Fit, top of wheel-well sits at 27".

**2011 Honda Insight Front Coil Spring(s)**
Part Number: 51401-TM8-A11
Notes: Possibly progressive rate coil springs(?), difficult to obtain new, was unable to obtain these due to reportedly being discontinued and out of stock at many locations.

**2011 Honda Insight Rear Coil Spring(s)**
Part Number: 52441-TM8-A11
Notes: Notes: Possibly progressive rate coil springs(?), difficult to obtain new, was unable to obtain these due to reportedly being discontinued and out of stock at many locations.

More information can be found at [url]https://wiki.shredsnow.com/doku.php?id=automotive2

Last edited by Americancosworth; 09-23-2019 at 11:22 AM.
Old 10-14-2019 | 11:11 AM
|

Strut Extension

Honda Insight (2nd Gen) front & rear springs, Tema4x4 Front Spacers, 19mm Progress rear sway bar..

Questions and Answers:

Does it handle better? Yes, it handles much better than stock. The Honda Insight springs are stiffer, and if 2011-2014 Insight springs progressive rate. Significantly reduced body roll, even without using the Progress rear sway bar.

Is the ride quality worse? No, the ride quality is actually better! Suspension feels smidgen stiffer in normal driving, but the confidence the car now has on the highway and when cornering makes it worth it. It no longer sways on the highway at all.

Can I combine this with other suspension mods? Yeah, we are running a progress rear sway bar with this no problem. Others likely will be able be used as well.

Does mileage suffer? Yes, duh? It's taller now and catches more air. This does not mean though that the car sway more though (see above comment in regards to highway ride characteristics)

Why would I want to do this? Why did you do this? No longer a sled in snow, increased load capacity, better handling, better ride quality, increased utility, you can run larger wheels/tires, the list goes on. The suspension lift was initially done to improve on what we perceived as a weakness within the Honda Fit platform when used to go snowboarding, too low of ground clearance, and poor load capacity when you start loading the car with people and snowboards. The process of overcoming this has metamorphosed into making the car not just ride higher, but also ride/handle better....

I have a question about such and such aspect of this, is there resources for me to check out? Yeah, I made a webpage at https://wiki.shredsnow.com/doku.php?id=automotive2 as well as posted as much info as I could above.

Old 10-15-2019 | 11:34 AM
Very cool. Thank you for the write-up and especially the pictures.

Old 12-12-2019 | 01:41 AM
Very interested in doing this. So, if i read correctly, you swapped the springs from an insight on to the stock strut for both front and back but also added that spacer to the front? Was that it?

Old 01-20-2020 | 06:56 PM
Has anybody done this for the 1st gen honda fits?

Old 02-18-2020 | 01:55 PM
|
Originally Posted by WasuluGE8
Very interested in doing this. So, if i read correctly, you swapped the springs from an insight on to the stock strut for both front and back but also added that spacer to the front? Was that it?
Correct, we used the front spring and rear springs from a 2nd Gen Honda Insight, and then added the front 30mm spacers to level the front, purely for ground clearance purposes. KYB struts were used in the front in addition to modified (hole drilled larger) strut mounts used with the spacers.

Fully lifted with front and rear Honda Insight Springs + front 30mm strut spacers.

Last edited by Americancosworth; 02-18-2020 at 07:24 PM. Reason: Added Photo
Old 02-18-2020 | 01:58 PM
|

Old 03-26-2020 | 08:04 AM
I didn't find this thread til after I installed 2010 Insight springs front and rear.

I measured with digital calipers the wire diameter of Insight vs Fit springs:

Front 2010 Insight is 0.485" and 2009 Fit was really close at 0.480", close enough to not really make a difference. I also noticed the front doesn't feel stiffer at all. I got NO LIFT from the springs, it might be 1/4" lower in fact. There are different paint markings on Insight vs Fit springs.
I would say don't waste time or money on front Insight springs.

Rear 2010 Insight is 0.500" and Fit was a paltry 0.425" and I got at least 1.25" lift
The ride is good, handling is better, and load capacity is waaaaay better

Now I will look at the Tema spacers for front lift, to level the car.

For shocks and struts, I installed Monroe OE spectrum rear shocks for my Bro-in-law back when this car was his and they are terrible brand new, literally junk, no control, do not buy. Buy Sachs or KYB or Koni

I installed new Sachs front struts with the Insight springs and they work well

Side pic with 2010 Insight springs front and rear, tires are 195/70-r14 about 24.8" diam

Last edited by ARCHIVE; 03-26-2020 at 08:22 AM.
Old 12-07-2020 | 10:16 PM
5 Year Member
Is there a difference between 2010 and 2011 Insight springs?

I have an '07 GD with 210k mi. I'm hauling a load daily and would enjoy greater load bearing. (I love this thread!) Has anyone figured out whether there's a real difference in specs between the 2010 and 2011 Insight springs? There's an '11 car in a junkyard near me. I'm tempted to pull the springs and try 'em out, at least on the rear. But seems like most people running Insight springs are reccommending 2010 springs. I'm not sure if that's because someone had access to 2010 parts and set a trend or because 2010 works better. And the part number seems different between 2010 and 2011 rear springs. Any recommendations would be super helpful. Thank you!

Old 12-07-2020 | 10:52 PM
Originally Posted by seattleguy
I have an '07 GD with 210k mi. I'm hauling a load daily and would enjoy greater load bearing. (I love this thread!) Has anyone figured out whether there's a real difference in specs between the 2010 and 2011 Insight springs? There's an '11 car in a junkyard near me. I'm tempted to pull the springs and try 'em out, at least on the rear. But seems like most people running Insight springs are reccommending 2010 springs. I'm not sure if that's because someone had access to 2010 parts and set a trend or because 2010 works better. And the part number seems different between 2010 and 2011 rear springs. Any recommendations would be super helpful. Thank you!
I highly doubt there's a significant difference, I thought I heard the suspension was redesigned to ride better in 2011, so if anything the 2011 is probably better option.

But do the 2009+ springs FIT the 2007?

Old 12-19-2020 | 11:58 PM
Having trouble installing spacer

Hey you had a diagram of installing the 20/30mm spacer, is it possible to get that.
or some pictures of the spacer. we are struggliong for hours just staring at this thing feeling pretty stupid
Let me know

- tony strombone

Old 04-19-2021 | 06:05 PM
Tema4x4 Spacer Install Instructions

Here are the install instructions for the front and rear spacers that go above the strut. I also attached instructions to install rear shock extenders, although I have not found them for sale with the Fit spacers.

Anyone who has lifter their Fit, did you extend the threads of the rear damper in any way? If so, what did you use?

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Tema4x4 Rear Shock Extender.pdf (1.27 MB, 272 views)
Old 04-20-2021 | 05:10 PM
5 Year Member
I ended up just finding a 2011 Insight at a junk yard and picked the springs. No spacers needed as they raise the car by about 2" +/- it seems. I installed the rears only so far, but had Monroe Maxxair shocks, which work awesome with the springs. Maxxairs have way more travel than OEM shocks, so not sure whether OEM shocks would be too overextended... Try it and see....

Old 06-27-2021 | 03:42 PM
5 Year Member

At the left honda fit gd 2007 and the right insight 2010 . That's give me about 1.75 in lift .Insight coil are a bit bigger and stiffer .
The insight coil are paired with Bilstein b6 from the saab 900 1995 .I needed to grind a bit to fit de bilstein because they are really big ,i put some 3/8 washer on the bottom mount to fill the gap.This is my rallycar back suspension setup .The car is stable and the suspension is not hard at all .The real test will be on the rally stage .

Old 08-13-2021 | 01:35 AM
hey man im building an off road crz. i know it isnt a fit but they have similarities and the crz community is only interested in lowering their cars.
you think you could help me come up with an offroad lifted suspension set up?
do you know anything about crz stuff?
thank you

Old 08-14-2021 | 09:47 AM
5 Year Member
Ksport suspension use the same suspension for the fit (GE) and the cr-z (ZF1)... The insight coils spring do the trick for the back (cheaper) and for the front i decide to go with yellow speed racing dynamic pro gravel coilover +- 2 inch lift .You can also go for yellow speed for all corners as a bolt-on solution ;but you have to do a special order to get it .

Old 08-23-2021 | 04:19 PM
5 Year Member
@hondaphil i sent you a DM.

for everyone:

I’d like to order a set yellow speed racing dynamic pro gravel coilovers for a 2012 Honda Fit. I’m not seeing “gravel” as an option on the site; I sent them an email about it.

I’m looking for about 2” total lift and increase in load capacity. Are there supporting mods you would recommend/are available such as adjustable sway end links/adjustable control arms etc…

for people who have lifted their fit, what about CV angles?

I too am looking to lift the car a bit for trips this winter. Would mind being able to blast down FS roads too for camping trips.

Last edited by SOFME; 08-23-2021 at 04:24 PM.
Old 09-06-2021 | 03:53 AM
yeah same man didnt see tha gravel option. really looking for a way to get a 2 inch lift in the front as i have the rear covered.

Old 09-06-2021 | 03:27 PM
5 Year Member
You have to call yellow speed to do a special order .The website doesn't provide the gravel option for the honda fit .

Old 03-26-2022 | 06:08 PM
anyone got instructions on the second google drive link for the russian lift kit? i just made some tpu spacers for the rear and 3d printed them to work with some aluminum spacers i found on ebay and the rear is lifted 2 inches. i wonder if i see the instructions on how the use the front spacers that i can design a front lift. it says you have to disassemble the shock.

Quick Reply: Honda Fit Suspension Lift