2nd Gen GE8 Specific Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Sub-Forum Threads discussing engine mods/swaps/tuning for the 2nd generation GE8 Honda Fit.

Sprintex Supercharger Install

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2013, 01:33 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jibberjabbs
So I've gotten a few more miles on the car and I can say it is a dramatic power increase. I have not noticed any drivability issues. I don't plan on dynoing it but I will use the Android Torque app to display calculated hp. The best I could hit before the SC was 98hp. So when I get some dry pavement I'll try it with the SC. I'm not sure how the car calculates MPG? The indicator is about the same before the SC. So if the car calculates this with injector data this will probably be off.
Just calculate it yourself.

Reset your tripmeter when refueling, drive until you need to fuel up again, divide miles driven between fuel-ups by gallons purchased, BAM MPG.

Old 12-29-2013, 02:05 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Steven Hung
The supplementary injector is mounted in the inlet pipe. You can see the injector underneath the green wire. The throttle body is mounted to the right. How do you calculate the maximum theoretical horse power from this fueling configuration with the stock and supplementary injectors.

Is there another mathematical formula that is more applicable?
On pump gas with ~1250cc/min @ 52psi BFP, I would expect around 170whp (DynoJet) or 200 at the crank to be about the edge of the comfort zone (80-85% IDC) unless you are able to run real lean, or have upgraded to an Evo fuel pump.

Or.. pump upgrade and converted to return with adjustable regulator which would let you stretch them further without the pump falling on its face.

Old 12-30-2013, 03:32 PM
5 Year Member
So it looks like I have ran into an issue with my car, and could use some advice. The installation went fine, a few details in the manuals did not match the kit but nothing i could not figure out. So finished it up on Christmas day and I have put 130 miles on since the installation with no issues and I had a fresh tank of 93 before I started the install, and I have not done the idle relearn or CKP relearn yet . Here is where the issue starts. Today I finally had clear roads (but cold 0°F) to drive on so I put my foot into it a bit and got denied with my first taste of limp mode, check engine light, and won’t accelerate past 3k rpm. So I stopped and restarted the car and it ran fine home. Here are my error codes:

Current:
P0138 o2 sensor circuit high voltage (bank 1 Sensor 2)

Pending:
P0300 random cylinder misfire detected
P0301 cylinder 1 misfire detected
P0302 cylinder 2 misfire detected
P0303 cylinder 3 misfire detected
P0304 cylinder 4 misfire detected
C1555 chassis

What do you guys think? This is freakin me out a bit! Also some details of my car it is a 2011 MT with 27k. The only engine modifications I have are a PRM short ram intake and Weapon R frontpipe/header with stock exhaust.

Old 12-30-2013, 03:52 PM
check for vacuum leaks and listen to see if there is a boost leak while someone is revving it

Old 12-30-2013, 05:41 PM
Jibberjabbs, I am by no means have adequate automotive knowledge like you do but from your description, I had a similar issue when I got the car back from my tuner. When I got it back it drove just fine but once I got to my apartment which was about 25 miles away and turned it off bc I had to get something then went back to drove off again, the engine light turned on. Still I warble to drive it a good 35 miles to my folks. The next day as I was driving off to work I noticed that as I was cruising at 2 to 3k rpms, when I pressed the gas pedal the boost wasn't working and then it suddenly would. Before I got to the freeway it died on me and was able to limp it back home to my folks. Had to tow it back to my tuner and check the ecu and that it was running lean. My tuner said that my injen and mugen exhaust should not have affected it but use to the map that I got that it was likely for 93. So he messaged Gary and we got a new map for 91. My tuner is testing it but said he placed the stock intake back. Did you tune yours yourself or did you go with Gary's map?

Old 12-30-2013, 05:58 PM
5 Year Member
I'm using the stock map that came in the smt8. I have driven the car 130 miles with no issues? This particular event happened as I was aggressively accelerating from a stop and I had the traction control off.

Old 12-30-2013, 06:20 PM
Originally Posted by sprintexusa

Hi, all. My name is gary and i work for sprintexusa. I've talked to a few of you on the phone, facebook, and at sema. Now that our product is ready to go, we'll be making a bit more noise. I'm really just here for tech support. The mods already know. If you want to buy a system, talk to jon at rpm extreme. Your local dyno shop should be able to help you out for an exact custom tune if needed.

These first kits have an unlocked tuner box. The carb kits will be locked, from the looks of things. I'm not actually privy to political developments. Thankfully, i just get to concentrate on what i like which is the manufacturing and technical end.

Here is the manual for the smt-8l. Any tuner worth their salt can work with it. These units have been around for 10+ years. Myself and many others have cut their teeth on piggybacks such as this. Page 4 has the wiring diagram in question.

PerfectPower

we'll get a faq together for you guys in a little bit.

There's 5 kits out there now in the usa. We've got 7 left here in okc. Part of what took so long was setting up our new manufacturing facility in malaysia. It has good legs and has been running for almost a year. As we ramp up production, we'll be getting these systems in batches of 10. The next batch should be here in january.

Outside of that, i don't want to derail steven's thread. There will be a few more threads popping up from the other 4 initial systems that went out the door. We'll get the faq built and keep it simple and direct.

Cheers!
carb ftw!!!!

Old 12-30-2013, 06:23 PM
You didn't hear any knocking? Mine was knocking before it died out.

Old 12-30-2013, 06:23 PM
Hey, guys. Checking in. I'm waiting to hear back from Jay on your codes. My boss is Jay Upton, the Chief Technical Officer. He developed and debugged the Honda systems. Our AT test car continues to run fine with no issues.

We first suspected some backwards wiring on the MAF signal, causing the low MAF signal codes. Part of what I want to put in the FAQ is "What happens if some wiring is wrong?". That and vacuum leaks are the easiest to overlook.

I should have some updates tomorrow. Jay and I are working over the holidays.

Old 12-30-2013, 06:43 PM
Thanks Gary! So you suspect it's a wiring issue? Would be nice to know tomorrow as my tuner still has my car.

Old 12-30-2013, 07:02 PM
Originally Posted by Fuzzyfunk
Thanks Gary! So you suspect it's a wiring issue? Would be nice to know tomorrow as my tuner still has my car.
On yours, yes. Low MAF voltage would be backwards wiring on the MAF signal. Your tuner says it's correct, though.

For the record, it sounds like what I suspected with this installation---you're all doing great on the nuts and bolts. The electronics are driving you guys a little crazy.

Everyone is seeing something a little different. This is part of the initial teething pains with a new product hitting the market. The people that do it right the first time or solve their own issues---you really never hear from . If you were all having trouble in the same spot, then it would be an easy fix. Murphy doesn't work that way .

When we were first debugging the Jeeps, people were tearing the MAP sensor O-ring on install. That would throw a P0129 code, run rough, stall, etc. The simplest trick of giving the sensor (and greased o-ring!) a 180deg twist when you pushed it into the hole fixed that. People understood when we talked to them one on one, but relaying it online got lost in 45 pages of drama. Lesson learned. However, I still need to walk a mile in your shoes before making a FAQ on this. Ever have a geek talk techie to you and you felt worse after talking to him? We try to avoid that.

FYI--One other standard test is a "smoke test" to check for leaks. Waft an incense stick around the motor and see if it inhales the smoke. The other redneck standard is carb spray to check for leaks. I don't really like carb spray due to fire hazards.

Last edited by SprintexUSA; 12-30-2013 at 07:11 PM.
Old 12-31-2013, 12:55 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SprintexUSA
Hey, guys. Checking in. I'm waiting to hear back from Jay on your codes. My boss is Jay Upton, the Chief Technical Officer. He developed and debugged the Honda systems. Our AT test car continues to run fine with no issues.
By AT do you mean Automatic Transmission? The 5 speed automatic transmission? Does this mean that the 5AT can handle the added HP? No slipping nor sliding?

Last edited by hotkey; 12-31-2013 at 12:57 AM.
Old 12-31-2013, 10:45 AM
Originally Posted by hotkey
By AT do you mean Automatic Transmission? The 5 speed automatic transmission? Does this mean that the 5AT can handle the added HP? No slipping nor sliding?
Yep, 5spd auto.

Old 12-31-2013, 11:38 AM
Yep, 5spd auto.
Good to know that it was an AT that the sc was tested on. I think mine is the the only AT that the sc is currently on the fit amongst the owners. Anyone else have the sc on an AT?

Old 12-31-2013, 12:01 PM
5 Year Member
I have driven about 150 miles on the supercharger in my stock Honda Fit. Some are gentle jaunts around town and some are more aggressive triple digits joy rides. No problem yet. My car have not been driven much with the short ram intake. I have ordered an Ultra Gauge to read DTC in the event of the check engine light. Although not in real-time within 1 second latency, the gauge can be used to monitor some vitals that could be useful when the engine light is lit.
  • engine coolant temperature
  • ignition timing advance
  • Intake air temperature
  • Mass air flow 1
  • O2 sensor
  • Absolute Throttle Position
  • Short Term Fuel Trim
  • Long Term Fuel Trim

Old 12-31-2013, 12:23 PM
Hi, Steven.

Any more CELs?

I think what had happened was some had tapped into the 13pin connector, referencing the FACE of the plug and not the BACK. That and flipping around the intercept wiring seem to be the two most common issues right out of the gate.

The ECU plugs are referenced from the FACE of the plug. The 13pin connector on the firewall is referenced from the BACK or wire side of the plug.

If you don't have power to the 5th injector, then it runs lean.

If you flip around the intercepts then you get low MAF voltage or no RPM signal depending on which one was flipped around.

I'll be adding this stuff to the pending FAQ, but want to make sure everyone is running with no problems first.

Old 12-31-2013, 12:43 PM
5 Year Member
Yep, 5spd auto.
Good to know! Us grandads want that power too, you know. I'm gonna make those snotty nosed kids w/ their manual fits eat my fairy dust! HAHAHA!

What I don't understand is why our previous attempts to boost using turbo didn't work as expected. Power was there but it wasn't getting to the wheels.

Any idea how much power the 5AT can handle?

Last edited by hotkey; 12-31-2013 at 12:45 PM.
Old 12-31-2013, 01:14 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by hotkey
Good to know! Us grandads want that power too, you know. I'm gonna make those snotty nosed kids w/ their manual fits eat my fairy dust! HAHAHA!

What I don't understand is why our previous attempts to boost using turbo didn't work as expected. Power was there but it wasn't getting to the wheels.

Any idea how much power the 5AT can handle?
Most of the GEs I've helped go turbo were A/T.. the farthest any of the A/T crowd had pushed their setup last I heard was ~265wtq @ 16psi. This was with a -6AN "tube and fin" trans-cooler rated for 12,500 GVWR

Edit - This is someone using JD HyGuard ATF and monitoring trans temp too. Beyond that and we're going to have to modify for full pressure shifts.

Last edited by DiamondStarMonsters; 12-31-2013 at 01:19 PM.
Old 12-31-2013, 01:33 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by DiamondStarMonsters
Most of the GEs I've helped go turbo were A/T.. the farthest any of the A/T crowd had pushed their setup last I heard was ~265wtq @ 16psi. This was with a -6AN "tube and fin" trans-cooler rated for 12,500 GVWR

Edit - This is someone using JD HyGuard ATF and monitoring trans temp too. Beyond that and we're going to have to modify for full pressure shifts.
Whoa! 265wtq! Scary.... on narrow mountain passes, that is. Might end up swallowing my false teeth!

Now why didn't we think of consulting you back then?! Oh well, thanks for the info.

Old 12-31-2013, 01:36 PM
5 Year Member
I have not gotten any CEL. The Ultra Gauge is to read the DTC if/when I get a CEL. I don't relish running to AutoZone for a CEL read.

The connector diagram illustrates the pin out but it doesn't show the relative relationship between the ECU and the sensors that supplies the voltage or the resistance. I actually have to read the verbiage a couple of times before I completely understood the instructions.

Mass Air Flow signal, Location 13
Cut Red/Green wire at pin 31 as viewed from female terminal side of connector B, leaving a long enough portion to work. Join the portion coming from the sensor, to green wire of the supplementary controller. Join portion of connector B to Blue/White wire of supplementary controller

ECU<-female connector (Red/Green) <------> (Blue/White) SMT8L (Green) <------> MAF Sensor (Red/Green)

RPM Signal for supplementary controller, location 14
Cut Blue wire at pin 32 as viewed from female terminal side of connector C, leaving a long enough portion to work with. Join the portion coming from the sensor, to brown wire of supplementary controller. Join portion at connector C to Brown/Black wire of supplementary controller.

ECU<-female connector (Blue) <------> (Brown/Black) SMT8L (Brown) <------> RPM signal (Blue)

Note the sensor wires are running away from the connector carrying signal to the ECU.

Quick Reply: Sprintex Supercharger Install