2nd Generation GE8 Specific Fit Photos & Videos Sub-Forum Threads for displaying photos and videos of the 2nd generation GE8 Honda Fit

Vanct's GE8

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2012, 03:12 PM
5 Year Member
I was reading on another thread that the zipties could potentially fail as the coil compresses and wears it down. Have you had the same issue? I'm not too concerned about the ride quality, I know it will be about 2 times as stiff as it is now, but it will be worth it if I feel more connected to the road and get any better performance out of it.

Old 12-31-2012, 03:24 PM
Thats the reason why I ziptied it to the last bottom coil. In case it does compress/expand, the bottom coil is unaffected.

Old 12-31-2012, 03:26 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Vanct
Thanks for the references, that's about as low as I'd want it in the second pic. Were you able to lower the front that low with collars still in? I'd leave the perches in the rear for the reasons you mentioned, as long as there is no gap at all like in the first pic. I don't mind a slight rake to it, as long as the front looks a little tucked. Did you camber the front at all, and how? Also, what tire size is pictured?

I noticed they sell some kits with a different urethane mount, instead of reusing the OEM. How necessary would it be to get these, and are they critical for camber adjustment?

"Upper Mount Notes: The Buddy Club upper urethane mounts have several advantages over your standard OEM mounts. First, they will tighten up your ride and give you quicker steering response. Second, on Imports with McPherson struts, they allow for camber adjustment."
As far as the front goes, that's with all three collars in and about 1/8" to go. You can only go a hair lower than I was or else the bottom of the coilover will run into the axle.

The upper bolt attaching the hub on the BuddyClub's are slotted, I'm managing to pull -2.2 degrees out of it on stock bolts.
Specs up front are 17x7 et32 205/40 rear is 17x7.5 et32 205/40. At that height I had rubbing issues up front even with no fender liner and my fenders pulled out like crazy, and the rears would rub when I had anything in the trunk or any passengers with me. With 195/40's the front shouldn't have issues, I suppose you can pull off 205/40s but with the amount of pulling on the fender it'd look odd. I also had to cut the front bumper tab off because it rested on the tire itself.

I'm addressing the rears below v v

Originally Posted by MEATBABY
Front collars probly won't be a problem. You can lower them a ton before they hit the collars. And yeah in the rear you'd still have the perch to hold the spring in, just wouldn't have the two locking collars on it. I think FittedOnEm had taken the whole perch out altogether to go lower and that's why his springs were slippin.

Fronts are fine with all collars in, if you start taking them out you'll run into issues with the axle which I showed above.

I tried running the rears with the perch in but it made too much noise. Yeah, the spring sat a bit better, but not enough of a difference to sacrifice the noise it'd make over bumps. I did take the entire perch out instead, and used 5 metal zipties per side to hold the spring in place. It would seat where it needs to, but since the spring was designed to go into a collar, it didn't sit perfectly against the top of the mount. The driver side was fine, but the passenger side worried me. It was a bit too much to the right so it seated a bit crooked against the car. I don't see any "major" issues with it doing so, but that's up to you.

This is with one collar in the rear, maxed out up front:

Another thing to note is that you're almost riding on the bump stops with no rear perch in. The ride was pretty rough on the freeway, even worse with anything in the back. I raised it back up because of the issues that came with it. I bottomed out on every single speed bump I came across, I had to avoid steep driveways because I got stuck on one, certain streets weren't smooth enough so I had to avoid those or else I'd bottom out, and after a week I just felt bad for the damage I was doing to the car. I may go lower again in the future (mainly cause I just love how it looks) but I just want to give a heads up on what comes with rolling that low, unless I just live in a really shitty area.

Old 12-31-2012, 03:27 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Vanct
I was reading on another thread that the zipties could potentially fail as the coil compresses and wears it down. Have you had the same issue? I'm not too concerned about the ride quality, I know it will be about 2 times as stiff as it is now, but it will be worth it if I feel more connected to the road and get any better performance out of it.
That's why I used metal zipties. Don't tighten them as snug as possible, just so the spring can't pop out. I haven't had any issues, I still have the ties in place with perch/collars back in.

Old 12-31-2012, 04:22 PM
5 Year Member
Low is a lifestyle for sure. Not one I'm too keen on living. Super low that is. I like being at just the right height where I can get everywhere I need to. But vanct, your car does look great the way it is. Don't rush into gettin coils if you have doubts.

Old 12-31-2012, 05:43 PM
5 Year Member

Old 12-31-2012, 09:16 PM
5 Year Member
Cliffs: Don't buy Buddy Club.

Old 12-31-2012, 11:47 PM
5 Year Member
They're pretty great. Just as good as anything else you'll get for $1000~1200.

Old 01-01-2013, 12:19 AM
5 Year Member
Nothing is good in that range, at least for the Fit.

Old 01-01-2013, 12:28 AM
5 Year Member
So you're telling me I'm an idiot and my coilovers are really pieces of shit? Somehow you know better than the guy who actually has them...

Old 01-01-2013, 12:43 AM
5 Year Member
You do you. I wouldn't settle for them.

Old 01-01-2013, 01:55 AM
you settled for a Fit though...

Old 01-01-2013, 05:22 PM
5 Year Member
I'd say the BuddyClubs are the best in its price range. I mean, come on, you're comparing them to Function&Forms, D2's, Megans, etc. I haven't had a single issue with them, they just don't like going low.

Old 01-01-2013, 05:28 PM
5 Year Member
^ Exactly. I love 'em. Buddy Club is a very well respected racing company and they make fine products. The N+ are made for racing tho, as are all BC products, so yeah they aren't too keen on being slammed.

Old 01-01-2013, 06:00 PM
I don't think any high quality coil over is designed to go low besides HKS.

Old 01-01-2013, 06:07 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by FittedOnEm
I'd say the BuddyClubs are the best in its price range. I mean, come on, you're comparing them to Function&Forms, D2's, Megans, etc. I haven't had a single issue with them, they just don't like going low.
Compared to those things, stock suspension feels good man.

Originally Posted by MEATBABY
^ Exactly. I love 'em. Buddy Club is a very well respected racing company and they make fine products. The N+ are made for racing tho, as are all BC products, so yeah they aren't too keen on being slammed.
In what world? Where is Buddy Club a very well respected racing company?

I'm not trying to argue, but I've really never heard anyone short of the SHG nerds on Honda-Tech and people on this site sing the praises of Buddy Club.

Old 01-01-2013, 06:22 PM
Originally Posted by mike410b
Compared to those things, stock suspension feels good man.

In what world? Where is Buddy Club a very well respected racing company?

I'm not trying to argue, but I've really never heard anyone short of the SHG nerds on Honda-Tech and people on this site sing the praises of Buddy Club.
Not alot of choices for people that don't wanna spend over $1500. Whats out there?
Buddy Club-$1000
AMR-$1500
HKS-$1500-$1800
Bilstein-$1100

Old 01-01-2013, 06:26 PM
5 Year Member
If you're going to bring 'well respected' and 'racing' into play, Bilstein and HKS are the only ones that merit even the slightest consideration.

Also, could a mod/admin please break this off into a separate thread? We've taken this thread WAY off-topic.

Old 01-01-2013, 11:17 PM
5 Year Member
Maybe we've done enough arguing and thread jacking.

Old 01-02-2013, 02:19 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by FittedOnEm
The upper bolt attaching the hub on the BuddyClub's are slotted, I'm managing to pull -2.2 degrees out of it on stock bolts.

Specs up front are 17x7 et32 205/40 rear is 17x7.5 et32 205/40. At that height I had rubbing issues up front even with no fender liner and my fenders pulled out like crazy, and the rears would rub when I had anything in the trunk or any passengers with me. With 195/40's the front shouldn't have issues, I suppose you can pull off 205/40s but with the amount of pulling on the fender it'd look odd. I also had to cut the front bumper tab off because it rested on the tire itself.
Thanks for the writeup and accompanying pictures, this helps a lot. -2 degrees camber sounds good, I don't really want to run much more than that. My wheels are 17x7 et37, so I might be able to cut it close with my 205/40s with a decent roll and pull. I should probably know what this is, but what do you mean by front bumper tab? Is it simple to cut or did you need powered cutting tools?

Originally Posted by mike410b
If you're going to bring 'well respected' and 'racing' into play, Bilstein and HKS are the only ones that merit even the slightest consideration.

Also, could a mod/admin please break this off into a separate thread? We've taken this thread WAY off-topic.
While that definitely deserves it's own thread, you guys bring up a good point. I'm all about having more quality and legit parts (ignore the fake Bride seats lol), so if something is worth it, I'd rather save up to get something a bit better. I may have a chance to pick up a used set of HKS S-Style X later this year, so I'd be going from lowest springs to lowest coilovers lol.

Quick Reply: Vanct's GE8