2nd Generation GE8 Specific DIY: Repair & Maintenance Sub-Forum Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself on the 2nd generation Honda Fit (GE8)

Replace glass on frog light?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 03:09 PM
Originally Posted by HeadlightArmor

From your sig "Halo 3000K Yellow Fog Lights" - the bulbs may be an issue. We do not recommend the use of our kits with aftermarket bulbs. "Brighter" aftermarket bulbs introduce more additional heat than additional light. Never a good recipe, especially given Honda's fog light track record. (I have owned sever Honda's personally over the years...)

FYI, i got my Fog Lights after, and because, the Headlight Armor Film burnt.

Old 11-09-2011, 03:17 PM
5 Year Member
FYI, i got my Fog Lights after, and because, the Headlight Armor Film burnt.
Thanks for this info SenBlue.

Old 11-09-2011, 03:32 PM
5 Year Member
Thumbs up Good move

teamkitty, PM replied and a replacement set will go out this week. Good luck with them, and sorry again to see you had an issue with the first set.
Good move on teamkitty! Good PR and customer service goes a long way!

Old 11-13-2011, 06:56 PM
Headlight Armor

After my rare and unfortunate experience with the burnt Headlight Armor film, they have redeemed themselves, and succeeded in making me a very happy customer. Even after YEARS of making my initial purchase, they have insisted on standing behind their product, and sending me a new pair of film, FREE of charge. This kind of great service is hard to come by nowadays, especially online, and i highly recommend them to anyone that is considering to make their Honda sexier by getting some fog light overlays.+1 Rep

Old 11-16-2011, 05:57 PM
5 Year Member
Sorry for the delay folks, here is the photo of my fog light with Home Depot "chicken wire" special.

Cost is less than $10 and took me around 20 minutes on each install.

Name:  2011-11-16135114.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  57.6 KB

PS - sorry for the not-so-good-quality camera phone photo

Old 11-16-2011, 06:42 PM
5 Year Member
Thank you hk...could you describe the installation for a n00bie? I thought the chicken wire was to prevent things hitting the glass--wouldn't smaller mesh be better? Sorry for dumb questions...

Old 11-16-2011, 07:24 PM
5 Year Member
I know, I know ... kind of chicken & egg... if I use the real small chicken wire, then it will block the fog light... what to do, what to do?

Old 11-16-2011, 09:05 PM
The idea is a good one. The mesh does look a bit too close to the lens though.

Old 11-16-2011, 09:33 PM
5 Year Member
So, does the whole fog light assembly have to be removed in order to apply the wire, or can it be done with the lights in place as is? Thanks

Old 11-27-2011, 05:34 PM
Originally Posted by afreespirit
HeadlightArmor, does the Fit Fog Light Protection Kit for 2011 models also work on 2012's?
The surround on the 2012's is a different shape, the exposed lens is a lot wider and slightly taller than the 09-11's. The fog light protection kit for the 2012's has been added to the site here

12 Honda Fit Fog Light Protection Kit

Old 12-02-2011, 12:31 PM
5 Year Member
Yes - you have to take everything apart and install the chicken wire in between the lens and the mount. It may look difficult, actually it is not that bad, took me around 20 minutes max on each side.

So, does the whole fog light assembly have to be removed in order to apply the wire, or can it be done with the lights in place as is? Thanks

Old 12-02-2011, 12:49 PM
Not sure how such a wide mesh would do anything. If you were going to do this I would think you would need a very tight (and rigid) mesh in front of the lens.

Old 12-02-2011, 12:53 PM
5 Year Member
I agree with you 100% - like I said before - this is a chicken vs. egg issue.

If I use "smaller chicken wire" (smaller hole, better protection), then it will have less "light" coming out.

What to do, what to do?

Not sure how such a wide mesh would do anything. If you were going to do this I would think you would need a very tight (and rigid) mesh in front of the lens.

Old 12-02-2011, 02:17 PM
A 3/8" or 1/2" mesh covering the front of the lens opening somehow would work. How to hold the mesh in place to resist impact is the trick.

Old 12-02-2011, 02:36 PM
Headlight Armor Clear Fog Light Protection Kit:

No mesh blocking light and sand blasting not an issue either. Just an option.

Old 12-03-2011, 03:02 PM
5 Year Member
Just checked out the HeadlightArmor site!

I think I'll be ordering some foglight covers, and I think the light smoke covers for the taillights!

Jusr not sure if I want the yellow covers or clear for the fogs... hmmm... (black car)

Oh yeah, any deals for FitFreak members?

Old 12-03-2011, 04:13 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by lowered_klass

I think I'll be ordering some foglight covers, and I think the light smoke covers for the taillights!

Jusr not sure if I want the yellow covers or clear for the fogs... hmmm... (black car)

Let us know how it works out lowered_klass!

Yeah are there any deals?

Old 12-05-2011, 11:16 AM

Yeah are there any deals?
Keep an eye on our threads in the Merchant Group Buys and New Product Sales Section for all the latest info.

For those in Canada (or other international locations) we just added a flat rate economy international shipping method which lowers the shipping cost by 50-80%

Old 12-05-2011, 01:50 PM
5 Year Member
No mesh blocking light and sand blasting not an issue either. Just an option.
The meshing should not be an issue. It's been done on other cars. The issue would be the fact that the Fit has itty bitty fog lights with not much candle power, if the light obstruction becomes an issue (IMO). With the film slapped on the lens, I'm not really confident it'll protect the lens against rocks.

I have the clear film on my headlights and yellow on my fogs. Mainly put them on (headlights) hoping the film would protect the plastic from yellowing over time. The yellow fog light film right now is just a "let's see if it works" - type application.

Putting on the headlight film was a challenge, with the big application surface and the curvature. Needless to say mine didn't turn out perfect. But good enough for me. No car show trophies for sure. Just want to retard yellowing of the clear plastic lens cover.

Old 12-05-2011, 01:55 PM
5 Year Member
I have the Blue HID film on my fog lights. Looks nice with my Tidewater Blue Fit- just a hint of blue when the lights are off and nice & bright when lit.

Quick Reply: Replace glass on frog light?