2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

why is the cupholder shaped that way?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2011, 10:04 AM
Those slots also make it easier to slide spare change out of the cup holder, try it. There is a slight ramp in there, and the change slides right up.

Old 07-06-2011, 02:17 PM
Have you ever had a drink in an oversized styrofoam cup and put in the deep square cupholders in the dash? The cup slides down deeper and wedges itself more and more tightly against the sides of the cup holder as you drive (especially over bumpy roads). But thanks to the square shape of those cupholders you can easily wiggle your drink out. It'd be much harder if they were round.

Originally Posted by Tencho
OK!!! this thread is driving me nuts!!!! in JAPAN most plastic bottles are SQUARE! coffee, water, juice, tea...etc..square bottles make more sense for packing purposes, less wasted space, more space for product.

honda fit cup holders are designed to hold both square and round containers.

I used to live in japan...duh

Old 07-06-2011, 02:31 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by LinoTheFilipino
Have you ever had a drink in an oversized styrofoam cup and put in the deep square cupholders in the dash? The cup slides down deeper and wedges itself more and more tightly against the sides of the cup holder as you drive (especially over bumpy roads). But thanks to the square shape of those cupholders you can easily wiggle your drink out. It'd be much harder if they were round.
My god, you've got it. I was looking for an ergonomic reason. Something witty that pulled in a round-peg-in-a-square-hole analogy, but I couldn't make it work. Well done!

Edit: well, OK, this too.

Originally Posted by Tencho
OK!!! this thread is driving me nuts!!!! in JAPAN most plastic bottles are SQUARE! coffee, water, juice, tea...etc..square bottles make more sense for packing purposes, less wasted space, more space for product.

honda fit cup holders are designed to hold both square and round containers.

I used to live in japan...duh

Last edited by Steve244; 07-06-2011 at 02:43 PM.
Old 07-06-2011, 02:47 PM
No drinks in my Fit except for bottled water.

I don't want coffee or juice stains all over the interior.

I find it mildly annoying how the round bottled water container (this one)...

TinyURL.com - shorten that long URL into a tiny URL

...has a propensity to topple over and sit at an angle in the center console cup holders.

Why didn't I test this out during the test drive!!!

Old 07-06-2011, 02:49 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
op- funny you mentioned this cause i didn't even think twice about the shape.

and tencho is right, bottles are rectangular shaped in japan.

Old 07-06-2011, 04:42 PM
Hehe... Also, when you got your ice cold drink in a paper/wax or plastic cup it forms a wet condensation on the outside surface. That condensation forms a seal and a vacuum when you place that cup in a round cup holder making it even harder to lift the cup out of the cup holder. And again ...the deeper down the cup goes into the round cup holder... the stronger the seal and vacuum ...the more difficult it is to remove the cup.

So another reason those square cupholders are awsome is so you can easily release the seal and vacuum by gently squeezing the cup near the cornes of the cup holder.

Originally Posted by Steve244
My god, you've got it. I was looking for an ergonomic reason. Something witty that pulled in a round-peg-in-a-square-hole analogy, but I couldn't make it work. Well done!

iginally Posted by LinoTheFilipino

Old 07-06-2011, 09:15 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Paul56
I find it mildly annoying how the round bottled water container ...has a propensity to topple over and sit at an angle in the center console cup holders.
Take a look at your doors! Each door has one bottle-holder. I comfortably fit a 27 oz. stainless steel klean kanteen in the front door bottle holders leaving my cup holders for the safe keeping of any cups I may accumulate during my commute.

Working at Starbucks, I am constantly bringing drinks into my car. The in-dash cup holders are wonderful. I can safely keep an iced TRENTA size cup from spilling. They are actually quite deep, providing a lot of stability I did not have in my cup holders of cars previous.

The lower shifter knob cup holders are not in use in my car as I have a satellite radio unit in the way and feel more comfortable using the deeper within-reach in-dash cup holders. As for the center "console" cup holders, I have a little Bell change dispenser in the deeper one and hold my cellphone/chapstick in the more shallow of the two.

Last edited by Starks; 07-06-2011 at 10:53 PM.
Old 07-06-2011, 10:48 PM
Nice jug, might have to get one.

Old 07-06-2011, 10:56 PM
5 Year Member
This is kind of silly, but after owning my fit for two years, every time i get into another car with some sort of drink in my hand (as a driver or a passenger) i instinctively reach out to place it in the non-existent cup holder in front of the corner air vents. it's like driving a stick for two years and hopping into an automatic and still pressing for the clutch pedal that's not there. Happen to anyone else?

Old 07-06-2011, 11:27 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by teamkitty
This is kind of silly, but after owning my fit for two years, every time i get into another car with some sort of drink in my hand (as a driver or a passenger) i instinctively reach out to place it in the non-existent cup holder in front of the corner air vents. it's like driving a stick for two years and hopping into an automatic and still pressing for the clutch pedal that's not there. Happen to anyone else?
I did that when I got into my old Subaru last week--I wanted to put my coffee cup in the cupholder and realized it was not there.

Old 07-21-2011, 06:49 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Starks
Take a look at your doors! Each door has one bottle-holder. I comfortably fit a 27 oz. stainless steel klean kanteen in the front door bottle holders leaving my cup holders for the safe keeping of any cups I may accumulate during my commute.

I have a 27 oz klean kanteen and I can't get it into the door bottle holders. Is there something I'm missing? Do you have to jam it in there? I wonder if the door bottle holders are smaller on my '11?