2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

The Zombie FitFreak Horde.

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2010, 03:53 AM
5 Year Member
The Zombie FitFreak Horde.

I'm noticing a pattern. Every new member seems to go through a progression of thread posts as follows:

1. Hey fitfreak convince me to get a Fit. or Should I get a fit?
1.5 Should I get a manual or automatic?
2. Hey guys I'm going to get a Fit today
3. Hey guys I bought a Fit today *insert pictures of bone stock fit with maybe some dealer accesories* Aren't dealer accesories cool guys?
4. Hey guys I hate all these squeaks and rattles
5. Hey guys the seats are uncomfortable
5.25 Hey guys what tires should I get?
5.5 Hey guys when should I change the oil?
5.75 Hey guys I bought rims, aren't they pretty?
6. Hey guys what intake should I buy?
7. Hey guys look at these pictures of an intake
7.5 Hey guys I don't know anything about HID lights but I think it would be a cool idea to just stick some HID bulbs in the stock reflector
8. Hey guys what axle back should I buy?
9. Hey guys look at these pictures of an axleback I think its really cool how you can see the muffler and 3in tip.
10. Hey guys what lowering springs should I get?
10.5 Hey guys will this combination of springs and tires rub?
11. Hey guys I lowered my fit
12. Hey guys I'm saving up for coilovers (and will continue to say the same for the next 5 years)
13. Hey guys what random bars can I buy to bolt on to every which point in the car
14. Hey guys look at this bar
15. Hey guys I'm going to comment on all of the new members threads that are exactly like the threads I made a month ago

This is the cancer that is killing 2nd gen fitfreak and will continue to metastasize over the next 4 years. The bisi thread is the first exciting thing I've read in 3 months. I'm not trying to say everything has to contribute to furthing the advancement of our platform, heck I write nonsense all the time. If you want to write a thread about your drive to mcdonalds today instead of one of the above threads, awesome.

Last edited by Lyon[Nightroad]; 10-29-2010 at 04:08 AM.
Old 10-29-2010, 05:07 AM
5 Year Member
Interesting. I was sort of thinking same thing the other day. Not too much original stuff lately.

Old 10-29-2010, 05:10 AM
5 Year Member
The answer is simple:
1) More DIY threads (this we can control)
2) More news about parts (this, not so much)

Old 10-29-2010, 05:43 AM
s0x
5 Year Member
hmmmm

hey guys do you think my car would look better with hello kitty on the hood or superman?

Old 10-29-2010, 05:45 AM
UNBANABLE
5 Year Member
this is why fitfreak needs more trolls that berate others for making so many dumb threads. it keeps the fear in the noobs. start talking more shit and things will be better

Old 10-29-2010, 06:19 AM
This can be attributed to the fact that the Honda Fit is still relatively new to our shores. People are still discovering it and there's a growing number of people interested in the car and want to or just became new owners. Of course they'll have typical new owner types of postings. Plus many of the new owners are young or new drivers. Without meaning any offense, my suggestion is to just skip the threads you don't want to read. As for the rest of the members who don't mind reading "newbie" postings and want to share their views and experiences, I hope they'll continue to create a supportive and knowledgable environment for all of our new members.

Old 10-29-2010, 07:00 AM
it is true, while in appearance the forum looks busy, once all the questions are answered the forum tends to die. i have seen it happen to another forum i am on and it is very sad. i hope it doesnt happen here, i like it here!!

Old 10-29-2010, 07:39 AM
It's better than the alternative....

problem after problem after problem thread.

Seen that a lot over in Acurazine forum (specifically in the 2nd Gen CL section)

Old 10-29-2010, 08:28 AM
lol@HEY GUYS...
not saying that it's annoying but the HEY part reminds me of THIS...

Old 10-29-2010, 10:04 AM
Originally Posted by Committobefit08
It's better than the alternative....

problem after problem after problem thread.

Seen that a lot over in Acurazine forum (specifically in the 2nd Gen CL section)
My last car was a BMW and those forums were a LOT more active. Then again, the parts that routinely fail on a BMW far outnumber the amount of parts it takes to fully assemble a fit. So I'm ok with these less active boards.

I am still new to this site, though, and haven't started any threads on the list from the op (that I remember). I did my best to contribute with a DIY, but that really didn't take off. I should have some more done after SEMA, when I might actually have a free minute.

Old 10-29-2010, 10:12 AM
hmm, I did #3.....

Old 10-29-2010, 10:15 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Lyon[Nightroad]
I'm noticing a pattern. Every new member seems to go through a progression of thread posts as follows:

1. Hey fitfreak convince me to get a Fit. or Should I get a fit?
1.5 Should I get a manual or automatic?
2. Hey guys I'm going to get a Fit today
3. Hey guys I bought a Fit today *insert pictures of bone stock fit with maybe some dealer accesories* Aren't dealer accesories cool guys?
4. Hey guys I hate all these squeaks and rattles
5. Hey guys the seats are uncomfortable
7. Hey guys look at these pictures of an intake
7.5 Hey guys I don't know anything about HID lights but I think it would be a cool idea to just stick some HID bulbs in the stock reflector
9. Hey guys look at these pictures of an axleback I think its really cool how you can see the muffler and 3in tip.
11. Hey guys I lowered my fit
12. Hey guys I'm saving up for coilovers (and will continue to say the same for the next 5 years)
13. Hey guys what random bars can I buy to bolt on to every which point in the car
14. Hey guys look at this bar
15. Hey guys I'm going to comment on all of the new members threads that are exactly like the threads I made a month ago
16. He guys, look at my ricer neon blue vents! I got bored and tore my moms pc up and made them. You think I should make them beat to the music?

This is the cancer that is killing 2nd gen fitfreak and will continue to metastasize over the next 4 years. The bisi thread is the first exciting thing I've read in 3 months. I'm not trying to say everything has to contribute to furthing the advancement of our platform, heck I write nonsense all the time. If you want to write a thread about your drive to mcdonalds today instead of one of the above threads, awesome.

Following Kelsodeez's advise.

lol im just messing with you Lyon.

Old 10-29-2010, 11:29 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by JCrimson
Following Kelsodeez's advise.

lol im just messing with you Lyon.
lol! I think you got me there. But seriouly there is only ONE rice vent thread. Even that one thread by that one guy with the massive riceous vertical muffler tip is at least original content. Original content is what I'm begging for.

Also thanks for the idea. I realized I have an old music sensitive distribution box laying in my electronics locker... look what you did. +rep

Plus, "I'm saving for coilovers" has become a sort of inside joke. Whenever somebody makes some sort of unlikely financial prediction, like them paying off their bills, I always respond, "O? I'm saving for coilovers myself."

Last edited by Lyon[Nightroad]; 10-30-2010 at 01:34 AM.
Old 10-29-2010, 11:45 PM
5 Year Member
I've been on car forums a long time. I've seen how it all works. Most threads exist because someone wants to personally interact with others to help them out with a decision, or answer a question. It's the luxury of a message board vs. a search engine (including the one built in to the message board.) Hand holding if you will, but then again, what is this place for? You can look at it from different angles. Some see it as a discussion forum, and others I guess see it as an archive. I think it should be both, with an emphasis on the former.

The problem is not the threads being started, because you don't have to read those. It's the lack of threads with content relative to what you want. My attitude is, let it all be, and do something about the things you don't like rather than come down on others for this not being the place that you want it to be while idly sitting by. If all these threads are uninteresting, then without them, there would be nothing. That's better than helping people answer questions and work out decisions?

Old 10-30-2010, 12:01 AM
5 Year Member
You may be right. I'm probably still dissapointed by the lack of knowledge about the fit as a platform. With all my previous domestics we had forum members who were actually ford/GM engineers in the design of our cars and contributed shitloads of useful information, like what sacrifices where made in production and where easy power was to be had. I don't think we'll ever have the luxury here.

"When we were designing the intake manifold we were running into some trouble with the runner length. We simply had to choose between low end torque and high revving power. We chose a long runner for drivability but if you shorten the runners by 60% you could realize a 20hp increase in peak HP. Your best bet is to grab a split sport head from a windstar and wire up the imrcs to an rpm switch"

-We will probably never read something like this regarding the fit

Last edited by Lyon[Nightroad]; 10-30-2010 at 12:09 AM.
Old 10-30-2010, 12:51 AM
5 Year Member
I've been on forums with similar levels of expertise hanging around like that. It's nice for sure. The Fit's saving grace is the GE model, and it's long term potential. It's got the looks to attract mainstream "big dog" consumers/tuners, and maybe even more so if gas prices soar in the future, and the used car market commands less for them. We've yet to see the horsepower per consumption wars yet. Creative tuners bored with K swaps and big boost might want to take on new challenges, especially with the CR-Zs influence, or rather, the "tone" that has been set by the company.

It takes quite a few years to build up a good parts base for any new model. I think some people with GDs might have gotten a false impression of how this works, especially if that was their first car. There had already been, what, 6-7 years of development prior to it being released here? There are many, many cars that have less aftermarket support than our Fit that are for sale currently, so I suggest we hang on and keep the faith -- most importantly, enjoy what we have and recognize the fit's unique qualities. There is no doubt the chassis is awesome. However, this is not the days of old when it comes to car tuning and the availability of parts. Too many cars, and the roll out schedules have increased for most makes, creating a risky aftermarket business.

Besides, the way things are looking, this may be one of the last exciting Hondas to be released ever, so that is also a factor. If it all goes to automatics and things targeted at seniors, the way it is in England, and seems to be going here, then a manual Fit or CR-Z (L15a) will be a mainstay Honda performance ticket for some time (besides the civic, which is so "blah" I don't even consider it when I think about the company.) I think I could happily own both of those cars and massage the L15a in different ways for different purposes. I don't know about the rest of you; some may be feeling that it's only "adequate" but I'm pretty thrilled with this little engine and am having a blast in the cool weather that finally hit Texas. With some serious mods, it would be, for lack of a better, a hoot. Which is something that isn't necessarily fast, but makes you laugh when you drive it because it's so ridiculously good at something - in this case, handling and exciting vtec action.

It seems that revving up just about any Honda has a special quality to it not found elsewhere.

Old 10-30-2010, 01:25 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Lyon[Nightroad]

This is the cancer that is killing 2nd gen fitfreak and will continue to metastasize over the next 4 years. The bisi thread is the first exciting thing I've read in 3 months. I'm not trying to say everything has to contribute to furthering the advancement of our platform, heck I write nonsense all the time. If you want to write a thread about your drive to McDonalds today instead of one of the above threads, awesome.
I have to agree with you Lyon, the main reason I'm not on here as much anymore is all the redundant threads. A simple search will answer 90% of the "help me decide threads" started here. All the numbers I left from your quote can be solved with a simple SEARCH!
I love helping people out if I'm knowledgeable on the subject but people please put a little effort into to finding the answer yourselves first.

I don't know if for some reason prospective Fit buyers are very indecisive or what but the "help me decide".... to buy a Fit, colour, trim level, MT or AT, etc. threads I find ridiculous. It's your car, you're the one driving it you decide!

The people who come here and post "should I buy a Fit" on a forum full of Fit owners what kind of answer do they think they're going to get? I don't mind the "look what I got threads" because most people are genuinely excited about modifying their Fits. I still like it here just wish there was more diverse topics.

Last edited by bmxman; 10-30-2010 at 01:28 AM.
Old 10-30-2010, 01:36 AM
5 Year Member
We are also salespeople for the car, so keep that in mind. More members equals more money for honda, and a larger base for a tuner market. Tons of threads are about buying aftermarket parts too. I encourage people to post up questions or hesitations with purchases, and feel more comfortable about spending money with the companies we want to make more parts for us, rather than being on the fence or not having confidence to plunk down the cash.

Old 10-30-2010, 02:53 AM
5 Year Member
I would like to be able to use the search for short 3 letter words, acronyms, and abbreviations such as HKS, IAT, CAI or SRI. I know it may seem stupid, but I don't know how many times I've had to sift through soo many unless threads to find the information I am looking for.

That lack of search-ability makes me FROWN

Old 10-30-2010, 05:31 AM
Originally Posted by Type 100
The answer is simple:
1) More DIY threads (this we can control)
2) More news about parts (this, not so much)
I think this is on the right track. Moderators, can we create a thread dedicated for new owners and interested shoppers to post questions and comments? This way, we can continue to encourage new members/owners and readers can easily view or avoid what they want.

Also, can we extend an invitation for Honda to post here? I know there is a group of Toyota personnel that posts somewhat regularly on priuschat.

Quick Reply: The Zombie FitFreak Horde.