2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

HVAC recirc slide stuck

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 12:03 PM
HVAC recirc slide stuck

Just short of 1 year and 15k miles and I just had my first quality problem. The slide that selects between fresh air and recirculated air will not go all the way over to recirc. Worked one day, then the next it wouldn't go, no signs of deteriorating function or anything. I can still move it to a mid position and get some recirc action.

Anyone else had this happen? Is it a quick fix at the dealer? Did they have to order parts?

I'll bring the car in next month and have it inpsected then, no need in making 2 trips or getting the car inspected a month early.

Old 08-25-2010, 09:13 PM
Update: Another example of why I stopped taking my cars to dealers long ago...

I took the car in and told them about the problem and they verified it. Said it was either the cable or door assembly, which is a large piece of ducting with the recirc door in it, individual parts not available. They said there were going to order the cable and try that first (great... I'm 30 miles from the dealer and they're going to perform a guess and check repair).

Got a call 1 week later saying the cable was in and to schedule an appointment to have it installed. Brought the car in 1 week later and they proceeded to tear the dash apart (leaving scrapes and pry marks on the panels, naturally) and replace the cable. After 2+ hours they said the car was done. I asked if the cable fixed it, since they weren't sure when they ordered the part. They said "Yes, it is fixed". So I sign the paperwork and get in the car to drive off. Checked the recirc slide... feels "different", but definitely not fixed and now it won't travel all the way over to fresh air.

Go back to the service counter and tell them the problem. They get the tech to come out and take a look at the car. He ends up adjusting the cable so the slide can move full travel, but it still doesn't feel quite right. At this point I decide to head back home since the slide at least moves stop to stop now, figure I'll see if it breaks in and deal with the dealer later if I'm still having problems.

Pull in the parking lot for lunch just down the street and notice what looks like a diaper laying on the passenger floor. Go back to dealer, diaper in hand. They identify it as a piece of insulation from the panel beneath the glove box. They said it looked like a mouse was chewing on it and told me to set traps "Thanks for the advice, I recommend your next career be at Terminix" I thought to myself.

So having the ability to put 2+2 together, I go home and pull the HVAC filter.I clean the mouse nest out from behind the recirc door, put everything back together and voila, my recirc slide now works like new.

So I wasted 4 hours of my time over a stupid misdiagnosis and now have scratch marks on at least 2 dash panels (and that's what I can see from teh driver's seat). At least Honda paid for the unneeded part under warranty, I would have been PISSED if I had to pay for it.

Unless it's a very expensive item, I may not be visiting the dealer for even warranty work from now on. First time I've been to a dealer for repair work in 3+ years and the 2nd in 7 years, and they have once again reminded me why I swore dealers off 7 years ago.

Old 07-05-2011, 01:34 AM
Hi, I'm posting for my dad who owns an 09 fit. He's having the EXACT problem you had. Could you explain how you access the HVAC filter and recirc door?

Thank you!

Old 07-05-2011, 06:42 PM
5 Year Member
I am having the same problem but it happens only in the Winter time. I think water got into cable and frozen there. It works fine in the spring or summer. I will not take my car for service unless it is necessary.

Old 07-05-2011, 07:32 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by nixter
Hi, I'm posting for my dad who owns an 09 fit. He's having the EXACT problem you had. Could you explain how you access the HVAC filter and recirc door?

Thank you!

With the lower glove box open, press inward on the sides to allow the rubber stops to clear the opening. The glove box will continue opening towards you until it flops down (might be a good idea to empty it of all your dad's unmentionables first).

Move the recirc lever back and forth. You can watch the movement of the flapper and maybe see if anything is blocking it.

Behind the glovebox is the filter/recirc assembly. The filter pulls out towards you (just press on the tabs). Might want to have a new filter handy (they're about $25 at Honda parts).

If there is a nest in there, you may want to have a vacuum with a narrow wand attachment handy. Below the filter is the heater/AC blower wheel, you might have to vacuum crap out of it...

Here's a pic of what it looks like after the glove box is pulled towards you (filter "drawer" and the flapper above it are to the left of the pic):

Another pic looking to the left. The mess of cables can be seen to control various A/C/Heat functions.

Last edited by Steve244; 07-05-2011 at 07:43 PM.
Old 07-05-2011, 08:14 PM
Originally Posted by cargun
Brought the car in 1 week later and they proceeded to tear the dash apart (leaving scrapes and pry marks on the panels, naturally) and replace the cable.
Take it back to the dealer.

Tell them you expect the damaged panels to also be replaced under warranty citing that *they* damaged them... not you.

If necessary... speak to your sales rep and the service manager and express your dissatisfaction in a polite but firm manner expressing your dissatisfaction.

It is completely unacceptable to damage a vehicle during repairs.

Old 01-12-2020, 12:02 PM
Same exact thing happened to me (minus the dealer). Went to move the slide to recirculate and it would only go about half way. Took the cabin air filter out and found a huge nest of insulation was blocking the door from closing fully.

Also looks like the mouse chewed right through that thin rubber flap that creates a seal for the recirculate to work.

i don’t want to buy a whole new sub assembly (~$140) so might try to fab a new flap. Does anyone have one of these apart and can see how that little flap is held in place? I’m thinking that I can drill/screw out whatever is holding it in there if I take the assembly out then put in some new material.

Old 08-04-2022, 01:43 PM
5 Year Member
I would take the car to an independent shop that specializes in Honda and Accura, and not just any such shop, but one that has excellent reviews. Read the bad reviews to see if they really represent something bad, or are comments from a stupid customer who didn't understand that the mechanic actually did things correctly. In my opinion a good mechanic does not order parts to see which one works. Rather, they see what the problem is first, before ordering any parts. Yes often paying for the mechanic and keeping the shop open (for example depreciation on the expensive lifts) would cost them a lot more than the part they ordered, . A new cable costs them maybe $13, and labor to determine what the problem is comes to maybe $120, So the shop owners, being gambling folks, will order the part hoping it will fix the problem and the mechanic will be free to do something else, something that just requires labor and doesn't require any thinking.