2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Yellow Fogs

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 01:36 PM
Yellow Fogs

Just wanted to post some pics of my latest cheap mod.
I had h11 leds in my fogs for a while. Well recently with some fog I noticed my fog lights were not up to par that they should be (nice color but didn't perform well). So I decided to buy some Lamin-x yellow fog light film (17mil) and put the stock halogen bulbs back in.
I know there is alternative bulbs out there that are yellow...Nokya, Luminics, PIAA...etc. I never have good luck with Nokya and I don't know much about Luminics or PIAA so I got the film. I also really like the idea of having the protective film on there to protect from rocks. Plus the fact the film is only ~$6 for a 12"x12"...bulbs cost $35+.
I've even seen some car owners use both the film and bulbs..but figured I would try just the film first.
Using the film is nice. If it holds up well on my Fit I might apply the rest of my 12"x12" sheet to my TSX.

My first impressions are great. Easy to apply and looks great. I haven't had a chance to use them in fog yet but I hope to soon. Def. makes a bold statement when they are on.

Here are some pics.
(Just a side note. I don't think the pics do them justice. A lot more yellow in person)

Comments welcome.

Last edited by Committobefit08; 06-16-2010 at 03:00 PM.
Old 06-16-2010, 02:56 PM
looks good. im going to have to order me some lamin-x

Old 06-16-2010, 03:30 PM
Originally Posted by insane_one
looks good. im going to have to order me some lamin-x
thanks. I got mine from Cleardefender.com (bulk sheet)

Old 06-17-2010, 11:06 AM
Just as an addition...

Before (Led Fogs)

After (stock Halogens w/ Lamin-X)

Old 06-17-2010, 08:30 PM
5 Year Member
Yeah, we've been sporting yellow Xpel film on the fogs for a year or so now. It's done exactly what we wanted it to: Protect the fogs and make the road slightly more visible in inclement weather.

Old 06-17-2010, 08:46 PM
5 Year Member
I like the idea of yellow fogs and understand the concept (like shooting glasses) but really, out here in the country, the lousy Fit headlights need all the help they can get. It seems to me that anything you put over the lights has the net effect of making them dimmer overall. The light that is getting past what is really a filter is less than what was coming out before.

What do you think?

Cheers.

Old 06-17-2010, 09:03 PM
Originally Posted by SportMTNavi
I like the idea of yellow fogs and understand the concept (like shooting glasses) but really, out here in the country, the lousy Fit headlights need all the help they can get. It seems to me that anything you put over the lights has the net effect of making them dimmer overall. The light that is getting past what is really a filter is less than what was coming out before.

What do you think?

Cheers.
I too thought that as well at first but from what I've researched the yellow 'tint' gives the color temperature of around 3000 K. I've also read like Jadr09fit said articles stating that yellow light doesn't reflect off fog, rain and snow as much so it is actually easier to see farther even though the tint might block how ever much % of the original light was. Were as the original bulb is probably around 4000 K color temperature when it is met with fog, rain and snow it reflects kind of like turning your brights on in fog... its brighter but you cannot see as clear. Make sense?

Could I find proven test of this? NO
Did I watch too much Le Mans racing with yellow tinted headlight and fogs? Maybe
Do I think they look cool? Yes
Do I like trying new things? Yes

Thus I now have yellow fogs.

Last edited by Committobefit08; 06-17-2010 at 09:28 PM.
Old 06-17-2010, 10:25 PM
I think they look awesome. I too have been thinking of Lamin-xing the fog lights on my TSX. This thread makes me want it even more.

Old 06-21-2010, 10:00 AM
5 Year Member
I tinted my lenses a couple weeks back, and am extremely happy with the results. An improvement in terms of form and function, especially when paired with the independent foglight wiring mod.

Old 06-21-2010, 11:31 AM
^^^
Looks really good. Thanks for posting the pics. I wish Honda would have made the fogs a separate switch. I really don't want to mess with the electric switches but I might have to in the future.

Old 06-21-2010, 12:11 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Committobefit08
^^^
Looks really good. Thanks for posting the pics. I wish Honda would have made the fogs a separate switch. I really don't want to mess with the electric switches but I might have to in the future.
Thanks. The mod is super easy, and you don't have to alter the OEM wiring, so it's reversible in 5 seconds, with no trace. you just run a wire (with an inline diode) from the foglight relay to the wireharness for the lights on the steering column. That enables the fogs to work on their own 100%, but then you run the risk of leaving them on when the car is off. To get around that, you can tap into the driving lamp and then the fogs will be tethered to them. I went the easy way and just do my best to remember to turn them off. It was my first foray into wiring, and was a cakewalk.

Old 06-21-2010, 12:11 PM
5 Year Member
^^^
In many places it is illegal to use fog lights without low beam headlights. I'm sure that's the reason for switch configuration. When I was young, fog lights were switched separately, maybe because they were aftermarket installations. I think the little English sports cars had separate rocker or toggle switches for fog lamps if installed.

I'm sure the engineers have to ask the lawyers before they do anything.

Cheers.

Old 06-21-2010, 12:17 PM
5 Year Member
In many places it is illegal to use fog lights without low beam headlights. I'm sure that's the reason for switch configuration. When I was young, fog lights were switched separately, maybe because they were aftermarket installations. I think the little English sports cars had separate rocker or toggle switches for fog lamps if installed.

I'm sure the engineers have to ask the lawyers before they do anything.

Cheers.
I can't argue the legality, though I've not heard that before now, but low beams reflect off the fog and hamper visibility, hence the importance of independent foglights from a functional perspective. The optional foglights on the base Fit come with an independent toggle, located in the switch cluster near the driver's knee, so I've always found it odd that they didn't use the same (preferable IMO) setup in the sport model.

Old 06-21-2010, 12:35 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Socialvegetable
I can't argue the legality, though I've not heard that before now, but low beams reflect off the fog and hamper visibility, hence the importance of independent foglights from a functional perspective. The optional foglights on the base Fit come with an independent toggle, located in the switch cluster near the driver's knee, so I've always found it odd that they didn't use the same (preferable IMO) setup in the sport model.
I've not seen fog lights in the base model. I think that the more control you have as a driver, the better. I'd prefer that arrangement as well.

From Wikipedia:
"Front fog lamps provide a wide, bar-shaped beam of light with a sharp cutoff at the top, and are generally aimed and mounted low. They may be either white or selective yellow. They are intended for use at low speed to increase the illumination directed towards the road surface and verges in conditions of poor visibility due to rain, fog, dust or snow. As such, they are often most effectively used in place of dipped-beam headlamps, reducing the glareback from fog or falling snow, although the legality varies by jurisdiction of using front fog lamps without low beam headlamps.

Use of the front fog lamps when visibility is not seriously reduced is often prohibited (for example in the United Kingdom), as they can cause increased glare to other drivers, particularly in wet pavement conditions, as well as harming the driver's own vision due to excessive foreground illumination."

For some reason I believe the author is English and unable to resist a dig:

"Studies have shown that in North America more people inappropriately use their fog lamps in dry weather than use them properly in poor weather."

Cheers.

Old 06-21-2010, 01:41 PM
I don't know about the laws (may very by state) but my 2000 Ford Ranger was wired stock so I could have fogs with no low beams on. I know these are DRL's but they look like fogs on the MDX. We both know a cop probably couldn't tell a difference. This is also a standard setup on the MDX.
http://acuramdx2010.files.wordpress....-mdx-20101.jpg
http://image.automk.com/media/2009/0....jpg.thumb.jpg

I have also seen audi a4/s4's not running low beams with fogs numerous times. I believe this is a standard setup.
http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_...0029_large.jpg

As far as I could find in Ohio at least...there is no fog light usage with low beam laws.

http://codes.ohio.gov/oac/4501-15-06

I did find this... adverse weather light meaning fog light.

"(1) The light from a spot lamp shall be white.
(2) The light from a supplementary driving or passing lamp shall be white.
(3) The light from an adverse weather lamp shall be white, yellow, or light amber.
(4) Adverse weather lamps shall be so wired that, whenever they are turned on, the tail lamp will also be lighted."
http://codes.ohio.gov/oac/4501-15-01

So as long as your taillight come on with your fogs you are legal in Ohio at least.

Last edited by Committobefit08; 06-21-2010 at 01:55 PM.
Old 06-21-2010, 02:11 PM
5 Year Member
(4) Adverse weather lamps shall be so wired that, whenever they are turned on, the tail lamp will also be lighted."

So as long as your taillight come on with your fogs you are legal in Ohio at least.
That's fascinating. I've never noticed a setup like that. In Illinois, they promote the use of low beams or fog lights in poor visibility conditions. I suggest that here in rural Illinois, given the Fit's really poor headlights, fog lights are required to see anything at night regardless of visibility. They are more "deer lights" than "fog lights."

Cheers.

Old 06-21-2010, 02:21 PM
That's fascinating. I've never noticed a setup like that. In Illinois, they promote the use of low beams or fog lights in poor visibility conditions. I suggest that here in rural Illinois, given the Fit's really poor headlights, fog lights are required to see anything at night regardless of visibility. They are more "deer lights" than "fog lights."

Cheers.
I definitley know what you mean by deer lights. They should also be called "rabbit lights" I drive to work at 5:50ish in the morning so its still mostly dark out. I don't know how many rabbits my fogs have saved me from hitting just in the past week. They are always too close to see them with my headlights but the fogs light them up really well and give me a chance to swerve. Thank goodness for fogs.

Old 06-21-2010, 02:29 PM
I run fogs on all the time - stock set-up - to supplement the low beams.

Can't really see where or why I would use them alone. Was taught to look to the edge of the road when confronting "high glare" situations. Snow can be the worst, but as in other situations reduced speed is the solution.

I would, however, like very much to be able to shut off day-time running lights w/out having to shut off the engine, particularly at night when parked, but that's another thread.

K_C_

Old 06-21-2010, 02:39 PM
Originally Posted by Krimson_Cardnal
I run fogs on all the time - stock set-up - to supplement the low beams.

Can't really see where or why I would use them alone. Was taught to look to the edge of the road when confronting "high glare" situations. Snow can be the worst, but as in other situations reduced speed is the solution.

I would, however, like very much to be able to shut off day-time running lights w/out having to shut off the engine, particularly at night when parked, but that's another thread.

K_C_
easy pull you #15 fuse while you are sitting there...lol. You can always put it back in if you want to run drl's during the day.