2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Clay Bar question

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 11:18 AM
5 Year Member
Clay Bar question

I have done some reading here about Clay Bar and noticed how it was some times recommended to remove light scratches and swirl marks but yet when I look it up online, it is said that it will not remove scratches. So for those of you with clay bar experience and light scratches, what's the verdict?

I have some light scratches on the hood that I would like to remove and so far the only thing I can thing I can find online that is recommended is Scratch X (which I know nothing about).

Old 06-13-2010, 11:27 AM
Originally Posted by hogwylde
I have done some reading here about Clay Bar and noticed how it was some times recommended to remove light scratches and swirl marks but yet when I look it up online, it is said that it will not remove scratches. So for those of you with clay bar experience and light scratches, what's the verdict?

I have some light scratches on the hood that I would like to remove and so far the only thing I can thing I can find online that is recommended is Scratch X (which I know nothing about).
Clay bar does not remove scratches. It only removes contaminants from the paint clear surface.
Read this....
http://www.wolfgangcarcare.com/clay-bar.html

Scratch X is ok for a single random fine scratch (very very fine) but worthless for anything moderate.

To remove scratches and swirls you need to use a dual action polisher with polish and appropriate pads. A D/A polishers oscillate and will not instill the dreaded buffer swirls or holograms. A D/A polisher creates a uniform, higher gloss finish. Using polishes is important in maintaining the condition of the paint. Polishing oils replace original resins and fill in the naturally occurring microscopic pores and surface imperfections thus preventing detrimental substances and elements as simple as water, or worse, acid-rain, from entering into these pores and microscopic surface imperfections thus causing oxidation and chemical etching. I then seal the as a finishing step. Sealing then applies a clear barrier of cross-linked polymers to protect against dirt, moisture, oil, and UV radiation to maintain an optimum gloss

http://www.wolfgangcarcare.com/dahowto.html

Hope that helps.

Last edited by Committobefit08; 06-13-2010 at 11:46 AM.
Old 06-13-2010, 09:10 PM
5 Year Member
I agree. I use a clay bar on my black Corvette. It makes the finish very smooth because it removes the surface crud. But it does nothing for scratches. I have also used Meguiar's Scratch-X. It is good for any slight scratches. The way to tell if the scratch is "slight" is to drag your fingernail across it. If it catches in the scratch, it isn't "slight". Then you'll have to use something more aggressive (abrasive) like polishing compound.

I'm a fan of Meguiar's stuff. I have their DA polisher and use their cleaner wax and NXT polymer wax. I haven't used it on my Fit yet since I haven't had it a month yet, but I plan to do so before my first long trip next month.

Old 06-14-2010, 02:27 AM
I religiously clay bar my cars and no it won't remove scratches.
Besides technically speaking you can't really remove scratches. You use abrasive (polishing compound, scratch-X, etc.) material to bring the good paint to the same level as the scratched surface.