2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Emergency spring install help!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 12:32 AM
5 Year Member
Emergency spring install help!!

So I supported the hub like everyone said, I don't THINK the axle popped out, when I turn it the other side turns (although in the opposite direction??). Anyway, I cannot get that top bolt back on. No matter where I lift the assembly it just sticks out more. Nothing I do will get it in!! Does it seem like my axle popped out and is preventing me from aligning it?

Old 11-24-2009, 12:53 AM
5 Year Member
turned the car on. horrible grinding noise. turned the car off FAST

Old 11-24-2009, 01:10 AM
5 Year Member
with the jack under the spindle supporting it, try to twist the axle while pushing the spindle towards the center of the car, the shaft sounds like it may have popped out...doing this with two people helps, but you can do it by yourself...but it is easier with two people..and please make sure if any part of your body is under the car, the car is supported by jack stands, or at least place you tire/rim, under frame rail of car, in case it would fall or move..you wont trap yourself under it....

Old 11-24-2009, 01:13 AM
5 Year Member
Yeah I think ur driveshaft popped out, I should have taken a pic of mine because it's easy 2 put it back in when u can see it it's just u don't want 2 remove the boot to do it. It's 3 round bearings on 3 shafts. Make sure they r all pushed on (feel around the boot) then wiggle the brake rotor and press it in. It might be easier to if u support but remove that bolt u have in since ur able 2 articulate the driveshaft and get it 2 slide in.

Old 11-24-2009, 01:15 AM
5 Year Member
Honda Automotive Parts

here this has 'n exploded view so u can see exactly what the part looks like. It's the triangular thing with the round things @ the end, ur trying 2 get those into the cup, this is for MT only I think.

Old 11-24-2009, 01:17 AM
5 Year Member
how can I spin the axle with the jack on the spindle?

Old 11-24-2009, 01:18 AM
5 Year Member
I should have clarified I have an auto. I can feel the shaft go in and engage, but I'm guessing not all the way. Are the white marks on the shaft supposed to touch the white mark on the boot?

Old 11-24-2009, 01:28 AM
5 Year Member
wait wait wait is the problem at the hub end of the axle or the transmission end lol

Old 11-24-2009, 01:31 AM
5 Year Member
Oh the AT tranny driveshafts are different. I'll look it up on that page but with mine on a MT it does feel like it pops in 'n u can spin it and it'll link up to the other wheel but it's not fully in or in crooked. The end that goes into the tranny is the only side that can slip out since the wheel side is bolted in. This is unless it completely differs from the MT which I doubt.

Old 11-24-2009, 01:35 AM
5 Year Member
I just looked @ the AT exploded view it's identical for the driveshafts, it's only the other components that differ. Ur trying 2 fit the two piece 6's or 7's (depending on side) into each other. Feel though the boot, u shouldn't feel any of the bearings out once it's in the cup all that can be felt through the boot is the driveshaft itself.

Hope this helps!

Old 11-24-2009, 01:37 AM
5 Year Member
ok thx, knowing it's at the transmission end cuts potential problems in half. here's an upclose picture of what's going on on that side. on the white notch on the shaft, there is an inset, grooved portion. is that end supposed to be inside the boot?

Old 11-24-2009, 01:37 AM
5 Year Member
thx cd4ag for all you're help I'll keep trying and check back

Old 11-24-2009, 02:14 AM
5 Year Member
Yeah the boot looks stretched out, worst case scenario cut off the larger strap and replace it with another CV boot strap. I wouldn't drive with no strap though cuz if anything crap gets in there it could be expensive. Wiggle around a bit though like I said u shouldn't feel anything but the shaft under the boot if it's fully in. The bearing head can wobble a bit so if u feel one end sticking out wiggle it till it goes back in and try and keep the driveshaft level so it goes into the cup.

Good luck and if all else fails cut off the strap and it will honestly take u 10 seconds 2 get it back in.

Old 11-24-2009, 02:28 AM
5 Year Member
Thanks your explanation makes things really clear! it keeps going in by a couple mm but I can still feel the triangular piece. I've leveled it out as much as I can so I'm just raising and lowering and pushing and twisting lol. Wish it was freezing and windy out here in my driveway haha. Hope I sort this out tonight

Old 11-24-2009, 02:57 AM
5 Year Member
To help it line up, feel inside the boot at the axle/driveshaft with on hand, and use your other hand to turn the rotor. You may have to lift the axle a little as you push in and spin to line it up. I have heard that this has helped some. My axle did not pop out during my installation, so I don't have first hand experience.

Old 11-24-2009, 03:02 AM
5 Year Member
One more thing I thought of, if u can feel the triangular piece make sure all the bearing pieces r pushed on so grab the boot and squeeze to push the bearings on their shaft. Then wiggle and move up and down, twist the rotor everything u can think of.
Again last resort take off the boot strap on the bigger side and pop it back on. If u HAVE 2 drive the car 2 get a replacement CV boot strap then tightly ziptie it as a temp solution but make sure u swap it out asap.

Driving u nuts yet?

Old 11-24-2009, 03:25 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by cd4ag
One more thing I thought of, if u can feel the triangular piece make sure all the bearing pieces r pushed on so grab the boot and squeeze to push the bearings on their shaft. Then wiggle and move up and down, twist the rotor everything u can think of.
Again last resort take off the boot strap on the bigger side and pop it back on. If u HAVE 2 drive the car 2 get a replacement CV boot strap then tightly ziptie it as a temp solution but make sure u swap it out asap.

Driving u nuts yet?

thanks guys!!! I did the old wiggle and turn and push technique with the help of my incredible girlfriend. We were about to give up for the night and I started crazy wiggling it and making noises and faces then BOOM! it slipped in easy peasy. So, nine hours and one corner done. hahaha

Old 11-24-2009, 03:27 AM
5 Year Member
PS what worked was feeling the triangular piece under the boot, then feeling the notch on the joint, keeping both in one hand, lining them up and then wiggling like a mad man

Old 11-24-2009, 03:32 AM
5 Year Member
good job

Old 11-24-2009, 03:40 AM
5 Year Member
wOOt Good job! don't worry the other corners r really quick especially now that u know better LoL. The rears are really quick just one word of caution make sure u losen the ABS line (I think it's the ABS line) so that when u drop to remove the spring ur not wrenching on it.

I just realized almost all my posts on here r in this thread haha

Quick Reply: Emergency spring install help!!