2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

auto transmition disengages causing lurch near end of breaking on new 2010 Sport

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 04:33 PM
5 Year Member
auto transmition disengages causing lurch near end of breaking on new 2010 Sport

I've noticed the auto transmission on my new Fit Sport does some weird shift (dissengage?) close to the stopping point.

As I slow near to a stop, the automatic transmission seems to disengage before the car is completely stopped (maybe around 2-3mph). And since at this speed my foot is very light on the break (since I'm easing to a stop like any normal driver), the sudden loss of resistance from the transmission causes the car to feel like it's slipping forward suddenly. The natural driver reaction is to then push harder on the break- and since this is all happening around 2mph right near the stop, this results in an undesired sudden stop..

Has anyone else noticed this? Am I nuts? I also have a Subaru Impreza automatic, and although you can feel it's transmission downshifting as you break, there's no sudden transmission shifts right near the stopping point that would mess with a nice ease into a stop. Does the Fit just have a cheaper transmission design that isn't as smooth?

I didn't really think about it at first, but it's starting to drive me nuts!

I'd appreciate any feedback!

btw- I'm *loving* the Tidewater Blue!!

Last edited by cruiserandmax; 11-20-2009 at 04:35 PM.
Old 11-20-2009, 05:52 PM
5 Year Member
Old 01-07-2010, 01:55 AM
Originally Posted by cruiserandmax
I've noticed the auto transmission on my new Fit Sport does some weird shift (dissengage?) close to the stopping point.

As I slow near to a stop, the automatic transmission seems to disengage before the car is completely stopped (maybe around 2-3mph). And since at this speed my foot is very light on the break (since I'm easing to a stop like any normal driver), the sudden loss of resistance from the transmission causes the car to feel like it's slipping forward suddenly. The natural driver reaction is to then push harder on the break- and since this is all happening around 2mph right near the stop, this results in an undesired sudden stop..

Has anyone else noticed this? Am I nuts? I also have a Subaru Impreza automatic, and although you can feel it's transmission downshifting as you break, there's no sudden transmission shifts right near the stopping point that would mess with a nice ease into a stop. Does the Fit just have a cheaper transmission design that isn't as smooth?

I didn't really think about it at first, but it's starting to drive me nuts!

I'd appreciate any feedback!

btw- I'm *loving* the Tidewater Blue!!
I'm experiencing exactly what you have described with my 2010 Fit with automatic transmission. Has you taken the Fit to a dealership for a diagnosis? Do you know if this is the way the Fit normally operates? Thanks in advance!

Old 01-25-2010, 11:31 PM
Exclamation Sport Automatic Transmission, delayed low speed shift

I'm having a similar issue at low speed with my 09 Fit Sport with automatic transmission.

When I slow down, I feel it disengage and when I accelerate, it feels like I gently popped the clutch on a stick shift. No issues at 10 miles and hour and up. Usually happens as I'm creeping along in heavy traffic or searching for a space in a parking lot when I'm feathering between the brake and the gas and not coming to a complete stop in between.

Had it to the dealer twice. No joy.

First time I left it with a dealer, a mechanic test drove it and said it was shifting normally.

Second time I asked them to put it on the computer, they said there were no fault codes and there was nothing they could do.

I can't believe there isn't some fine tuning adjustment for when the transmission engages. If it kicked in a half second earlier it would be perfect. No other car I have driven, including other Honda's, have done this.

If you get a solution please post so I can share it with my dealer.

Other than this issue, I love the car.

Old 01-25-2010, 11:55 PM
5 Year Member
That is caused from the trans shifting from 3rd to 1st. Typically the A/Ts stay in 3rd gear from 20 MPH to 6 MPH; once they hit 5 MPH and slower they skip 2nd gear and go directly to 1st gear.

People in sport models can notice this in the gear indicator when the gear selector is in S with "M" mode active and possibly in D by hitting the upshift paddle (No shift will be made and the gear number will show) while under 20 MPH and stopping.

Old 01-26-2010, 12:51 AM
5 Year Member
it's normal for the fit's auto. it does that for the autos in the new civics as well

Old 01-26-2010, 07:19 AM
5 Year Member
Severity seems to be a build issue (or perhaps a driver sensitivity issue). The downshift is barely noticeable on my 2009 Fit Sport AT. As others have reported, "it's normal; get used to it." I'm not aware of any AT failure reports related to this quirk.

Old 01-26-2010, 11:20 AM
A/Ts stay in 3rd gear from 20 MPH to 6 MPH

Thanks Hootie, I'll experiment with this.

Originally Posted by Hootie
That is caused from the trans shifting from 3rd to 1st. Typically the A/Ts stay in 3rd gear from 20 MPH to 6 MPH; once they hit 5 MPH and slower they skip 2nd gear and go directly to 1st gear.

People in sport models can notice this in the gear indicator when the gear selector is in S with "M" mode active and possibly in D by hitting the upshift paddle (No shift will be made and the gear number will show) while under 20 MPH and stopping.

Old 01-26-2010, 01:57 PM
Stopping in "S" mode makes the symptom go away, not a solution just a workaround. I'm working with Honda to see if I can get a PCM update made to get rid of the lurch.

Old 01-26-2010, 02:20 PM
5 Year Member
Not really, it will still skip 2nd. The best way to prevent/reduce this lurch in an A/T sport is to downshift into 2nd around 10-15MPH when stopping.

Old 01-26-2010, 03:57 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by rhyneba
Stopping in "S" mode makes the symptom go away, not a solution just a workaround. I'm working with Honda to see if I can get a PCM update made to get rid of the lurch.
Let us know if you need more ammunition. I don't consider it worth bothering the dealer, but I guess if enough do Honda will change it. Assuming it's not actually helping something else.

Old 01-26-2010, 04:31 PM
Originally Posted by Steve244
Let us know if you need more ammunition. I don't consider it worth bothering the dealer, but I guess if enough do Honda will change it. Assuming it's not actually helping something else.
I recommend visiting the dealer about this. Honda fixed the computer for fuel economy because of enough visits and complaints. I got off the phone a few minutes ago with Honda, they said they have not had complaints about this. I would make it an issue, if there is enough outcry we can get some resources on the corporate end and hopefully a fix. The engineer I spoke with suggested a battery disconnect as a try to see if the PCM had picked up and stored anomalous info. I'll try it before I go home tonight.

b

Old 02-07-2010, 11:06 PM
Smile Thanks for the info Hootie.

Originally Posted by Hootie

I've gotten in the habit of hitting the downshift paddle when slowing down. After a little experimenting I found the sweet spot and now I don't feel any lurch as I accelerate.

Thanks again for the tip.

Old 02-07-2010, 11:28 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 1RedFit
I've gotten in the habit of hitting the downshift paddle when slowing down. After a little experimenting I found the sweet spot and now I don't feel any lurch as I accelerate.

Thanks again for the tip.
No problem.