2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Homelink

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 09:32 AM
Homelink

I missed the convenience of homelink so, when I saw this mod on the GD forum, thought I would try in our GE. Unit is from 00 Odyssey, EBay $40 shipped. Not plug and play but not too difficult once you commit to cutting a big hole in the headliner. Very functional and I think it looks better than original. My wife did not even notice I had done it and it is her car!

Old 05-05-2009, 09:46 AM
Nice. Did you already have power there? Could you give out the part number please. I'd like to get the same thing done. +rep

Old 05-05-2009, 10:29 AM
Power is from existing map light. I do not have part number but there are quite a few Odyssey homelink units for sale on EBay. I was in too much of a hurry to take picks while doing the job but will give more detailed instructions if people are interested when I have more time. Big difference from the GD is that the GE already has a map light which means that power and bracket are already there. Problem is that that the bracket mounting holes do not match and must be relocated.

Old 05-05-2009, 11:03 AM
Since the GE already has a map light, you don't have to cutout a hole, you just had to make it a bit larger? Also, did you just mark, drill and tap new holes or what? Scale of 1-10 how difficult do you think this install is for a novice? Sorry for all the questions but this is definitely something I'm interested in doing. Thanks

Old 05-05-2009, 11:05 AM
FitFreak GE8 DIY Guy
5 Year Member
LOL just bought mine last night on ebay also.
can you give us any pics or a DIY how you did it?
this will help alot. anyway i was taking a chance on
it not fitting but now i'm def sure it will fit. lol
i'm glad i bought it now.
mine was 45 Shipped.
did you program the homelink yet?
tell us how you did it cause i'm going to need to
do mine as well.
thanks
Nick

also here is a link to homelinks for sale
eBay - 98-02 Honda Accord Console W/HomeLink OEM LKQ, Similar items search

Old 05-05-2009, 01:45 PM
Question How about the mic?

Does the Odyssey light fixture also have the bluetooth mic?

Those of us with NAVI will need it.

Old 05-05-2009, 05:12 PM
No mic. Homelink works programmed as per instructions for garage door opener ( they differ). Job is more an issue of bravery than difficulty-yes it is a hole enlarged rather that one created, but still a large piece of headliner to cut out.
Tips:
Check unit works before starting job. Connect to battery on car or 9v is enough. If your unit has the connector this makes life easier. Mine did not. Existing Fit plug does not fit. Search for homelink on GD forum. Someone has a good picture of the Odyssey connection. Connect wires to the two outside terminals. He soldered. I modified (squashed) two spade connectors.
Remove existing map light. Light covers prise off revealing two screws (one doubles as ground). Remove plug and reach into hole. Power wire is taped to underside of headliner. Pull free or you may cut through when enlarging hole. Make a template for new (enlarged) hole. Tight fit is important. Tape to headliner align front edge with existing hole. Mark and cut.
Unfortunately mounting holes in existing bracket do not line up with new map light. You should see two grooves outboard of the existing holes. These are either side of the raised center portion of bracket and terminate where bracket joins roof. You will drill two holes in upper portion of bracket to accept #10 sheet metal screws here. There is a 1/2 in. gap between bracket and roof at this point. I used a thin piece of wood in gap to ensure that drill did not continue through to roof (very bad!). Next break of the two headliner supports at rear of bracket. There are also two mounting holes in the storage compartment of the new map light but this part will actually rest directly against the roof (could use double-sided tape but fit is pretty solid only using front mounts). I also cut two foam blocks same depth as the storage compartment to support the headliner here which helps with fit. To connect, I pushed live into existing plug and taped. Ground went to original place. I hung unit from a wire hook while I made the connections to have both hands free. You can now put into hole. Rear first as there are two location tabs on maplight. Mounting screws should be long enough to reach new holes but stop short of the roof (2 ins I think but measure). Whole job took about three hours but I was being very careful. Measure three times cut once! Hope this is helpful, but if anything goes wrong you are on your own.

Old 05-05-2009, 10:23 PM
5 Year Member
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by jrlnc
Does the Odyssey light fixture also have the bluetooth mic?

Those of us with NAVI will need it.
Yeah we will definitely need the mic. This unit has the mic ---> eBay Motors: 04 Honda Accord OEM Overhead Homelink Console LKQ (item 220405921147 end time May-06-09 19:08:53 PDT)

I wish we could find Honda or Acura part which we can use the OEM harness, but even with a little splicing this is a great mod, especially with the sunglasses holder.
Wonderful, I just added another mod to my list. +reps to OP.

Old 05-05-2009, 10:34 PM
5 Year Member
The oem map light you replaced... I would be interested in purchasing it off one of you! Please

Us Canadians did not get a map light and this might be enough to get me and my exacto knife going! Gulp

Please pm me if you are interested in selling the old map light set up. I have a US post box to simplify things. Thanks

Old 05-06-2009, 02:44 AM
I want the old map light set up too.
Please pm me if you want to sell it.

Old 05-06-2009, 04:14 PM
Not wishing to talk my way out of a sale, but I suspect that Canadian Fits have neither the maplight bracket nor plug. If you have to cut the hole, fabricate a mount and run wiring, why not go with the maplight/homelink/sunglass-storage option?

Old 05-06-2009, 05:52 PM
The one thing that is missing from the Fit that I really wanted! Sunglass storage! woot! def looking into this.
If I'm the first person with a Nav to do it, I'll be sure to take lots of pictures and do a nice DIY.

Old 05-06-2009, 06:25 PM
I wondered about the later unit (04+ Ody Touring, upmarket Accords), which is similarly sized but has a little ambient light LED in the middle. I love the little bit of useful amber light (i'm sure someone here would rather have a blue one a la Acura though). I guess it would be the same install.

Old 05-06-2009, 07:09 PM
hey crst4s would u happen to have the measurements of that unit? I want to compare it to the unit with the mic that's also available on ebay. Wondering if it has the same measurements width wise.

Old 05-06-2009, 07:37 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Alpha Zero
The one thing that is missing from the Fit that I really wanted! Sunglass storage! woot! def looking into this.
If I'm the first person with a Nav to do it, I'll be sure to take lots of pictures and do a nice DIY.
That would be extremely helpful. I wonder if they make that homelink with the mic and sunglass storage in a color that would match the Fit interior well. That tan color on that ebay listing is awful.

Old 05-06-2009, 07:56 PM
I'm sure it's available in the grey color, just gotta find it. I don't have the money to buy it not anyway, but making sure I have everything in line once I'm ready.

Old 05-06-2009, 07:56 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Alpha Zero
My thoughts, and interests exactly!!! +reps
sunglass storage!!!
Navi owners await.

I'm gonna take a look at my neighbors brand new TL it's got the bluetooth/navi mic, I'm curious about the measurements as well. Also wanna take a look at some other Acura storage units, and get some part #'s.

Old 05-07-2009, 08:59 AM
The Odyssey unit is approx 8 in. wide x 7 in long. Grey color is very slightly darker than original map light but not enough to notice. I think accord units with mic would also fit but wiring looks more complicated. College Hills have a battery operated version and videos of install in various models (no Fit).

Old 05-11-2009, 02:31 PM
5 Year Member
Cool mod. I might condsider doing it.

Old 05-16-2009, 03:08 PM
FitFreak GE8 DIY Guy
5 Year Member
just did mine yesterday. def a little tricky but well worth it.
here is a pic. colors look off cause of the flash but trush me it
looks great and works great. i got mine out of a 2001 Accord.

Quick Reply: Homelink