2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Warranty 8 year 120k for $930?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 07:30 PM
5 Year Member
Warranty 8 year 120k for $930?

I bought the fit for reliability, but i just found out bumper to bumper factory warranty for a total of 8 years after purchases costs about $930.

Is it worth it?

I have a base 09 manual model.

Old 04-01-2009, 07:38 PM
5 Year Member
For that kind of money I would personally upgrade to an LX or Sport instead of extending the warranty. I bought my Honda Fit partly because of Honda's overall good reliability record. I guess I never thought of extending the warranty because Honda's are pretty cheap to fix if something does go wrong.

Old 04-01-2009, 07:52 PM
5 Year Member
Don't bother with an extended warranty man. I was a Honda technician for almost three years and 75% of my work encompassed TSBs and regular maintenance.

Old 04-01-2009, 07:58 PM
5 Year Member
I bought the 6-year 100K extended warranty for $800. Since my car only has 14K miles and is a year old, do you guys think I can cancel the warranty and get all of my money back (minus any cancellation charges)?

Old 04-01-2009, 08:28 PM
5 Year Member
Depends on the type of warranty I guess. Most kick in after the factory warranty, I don't see why they'd prorate it in any way if that's the case.

Old 04-01-2009, 08:28 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Super Mario
I bought the 6-year 100K extended warranty for $800. Since my car only has 14K miles and is a year old, do you guys think I can cancel the warranty and get all of my money back (minus any cancellation charges)?
I recommend that you ask Honda if its possible to get a full or partial refund.

When my first Integra was purchased with 18k miles on it, i had purchased Acura's extended warranty which was 7 years/100k miles for around $1100. When the car got stolen few months later, i contacted Acura about my situation and they refunded me around $950 of it. So i did get a partial refund.

Thats why i suggest you try since they did give me some of my $$ back, although my situation wasn't exactly the same as yours, but it doesn't hurt to try.

Old 04-01-2009, 08:56 PM
cwf
5 Year Member
I did not even inquire into the details of the extended warranty for my '09 given the pricing (worse than that quoted by the OP). But once in the past I did buy one, happily discovered that it is technically insurance, and hence could be cancelled with a pro rata or near pro rata refund, which arrived promptly. Ymmv, but, imho, worth checking into.

Old 04-01-2009, 09:23 PM
One of the reasons to buy a Honda is because you likely won't need to use that warranty. They are more reliable than any other car right now.

Old 04-02-2009, 08:28 PM
For the stuff that a warranty covers in our cars, I don't think that warranty is worth it.

On my old GS-R, the repair costs for things that a warranty would cover, in parts, from 2002-2008 and almost 100K miles of use (122K to 215K) was... maybe $400. After tax. The only part I didn't replace myself was the oilpan gasket, and that's cause the 2 hours of labor at a shop was cheaper than my annoyance at replacing that part.

Including theoretical labor, it would have been less than $800. Thus, to use rough math, during a similar period in the second half of a car's life, not having an additional warranty on a honda is cheaper than buying the warranty in the first half of a car's life. And if the car's totalled, you don't have to beg anyone for your money back.

(Parts that went out on the GS-R that would have been covered by a warranty: ingitor coil, oil pan gasket, brake master cylinder, clutch master cylinder, engine mounts... so maybe cheaper than $400)

Old 04-04-2009, 04:59 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Epoch
For the stuff that a warranty covers in our cars, I don't think that warranty is worth it.

On my old GS-R, the repair costs for things that a warranty would cover, in parts, from 2002-2008 and almost 100K miles of use (122K to 215K) was... maybe $400. After tax. The only part I didn't replace myself was the oilpan gasket, and that's cause the 2 hours of labor at a shop was cheaper than my annoyance at replacing that part.

Including theoretical labor, it would have been less than $800. Thus, to use rough math, during a similar period in the second half of a car's life, not having an additional warranty on a honda is cheaper than buying the warranty in the first half of a car's life. And if the car's totalled, you don't have to beg anyone for your money back.

(Parts that went out on the GS-R that would have been covered by a warranty: ingitor coil, oil pan gasket, brake master cylinder, clutch master cylinder, engine mounts... so maybe cheaper than $400)
Problem is that the only labor I will be doing myself is oil change.

Old 04-05-2009, 08:59 PM
5 Year Member
5 Year Member
I think I got ripped off. I bought a 2009 Fit and an extended warranty for $1300 minus $500 cash back total $800. 6 years and 80,000 miles. Did I get screwed?

Old 04-05-2009, 10:27 PM
5 Year Member
I got the extended warranty because I felt like it, paid $895 for the 8 year/120k. I just don't like having to find a good mechanic and things like that, I just moved to a new part of the state. The way I justified it was that the Honda warranty gives you 8 years of road side assistance. AAA is about $50 a year, so that alone is at least a $400 value. The rest is just insurance against any major problems.

Old 04-06-2009, 09:51 AM
that is actually a great price. My b.s. dealer hillside honda, queens ny tried to sell me that exact same warranty for 3600! Yes it is not a typo. I am getting it from collegehills or bernardi honda instead. I had a 2000 civic with extened warranty and had to replace the o2 sensors when the car had about 92K on it. Thank god for the warranty. saved me several hundred from my mechanic. It is good peace of mind. Our 2006 rav4 catalytic convertor failed on us and it was replaced by warranty. It is a good buy in my opinion.

Rene

Old 04-06-2009, 10:06 AM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
Warrenties are generally bogus, I have been burned way too many times.

I started intentionally turning down every single warrenty plan lately; cars, tires, lawnmowers, couch protection, TV's, watches, cell phones, video games & systems, accessories, Fridges, Cameras, laptops, you name it. Adding it up all the warrenty plans I have been turning down in the last 3 years and I am up over 20,000$ now... which can replace any of the things I bought, even my car

So far things that actually broke:
Xbox => Microsoft replaced it at no cost (no warrenty)
EEEPC => Store exchanged it at no cost (not under warrenty)
Xbox battery => I am out 15$
Walmart Rice Maker => Returned it with no recepit

Everything has the potential to break, and when it does those stupid warrenty plans are usually written carefully enough so you don't get squat. "we will exchange it with no questions asked for an equal or greater value product"... two times I Have been burned by this sales pitch and had it thrown back in my face when something actually breaks. I end up buying a new one instead every time.

Warrenty plans that are 5% or greater of your purchase will cost you way more than the things you buy in the long run, better to just say no. Even if you are thining about saying yes, take the money you were about to spend on it and put it in a jar... I garuntee that jar will have a thousand of dollars in it by the end of the year even if you just buy a couple things.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 04-06-2009 at 10:19 AM.
Old 04-06-2009, 10:07 AM
5 Year Member
First off I would like to say hi to everyone in here at fitfreak.net. I'm loving my fit and this site has a lot of info on what;s best for my fit. 8 yrs. 120k warranty? Wow looks like I got ripped off by my dealer. Can I cancel my warranty from the dealer were I bought my fit and go to a diff. honda dealer and buy their (cheaper) warranty?

Old 04-06-2009, 10:47 AM
yes you can cancel but I think you have 30 or 60 days to do so. definitely can. or cancel and have it prorated. fight them on it because this is a money maker for them. get a print out from collegehillshonda.com for the same warranty. I think they have it for 1k. show it to them and maybe give you the same price. You still save money buying from out of state because of the sales tax.

good luck. it is possible but they can say no all they want. just take it up and up to the bosses.

Rene

Old 04-06-2009, 10:50 AM
Originally Posted by SanDan
I bought the fit for reliability, but i just found out bumper to bumper factory warranty for a total of 8 years after purchases costs about $930.

Is it worth it?

I have a base 09 manual model.

You can pay them $930 for the extended warranty, or just put the money aside for when your A/C condenser gets damaged!

Old 04-06-2009, 11:50 AM
5 Year Member
Tnx Rene!!!! So if my dealer ripped me off with this extended warranty, I bet they also ripped me off with my GAP insurance so that in the event I total my car I'd get the full resale/deprreciated value of the car. Sorry , I forgot but regardless I bought that GAP Jjust in case the car gets trashed. They sold me the GAP for 750 ish bucks.. This gets me really upset!! I wouldn't mind if they sold it to me for lets say 1100 or the extended warranty since it's only added up to my monthly payment of the car loan but ballooning it way up to 2300 dollars for a 5yr. 100k warranty??!!! They really fooled me big time!!!! Yup they sold me a 5yr 100k warranty for over 2G's!!!!

Old 04-06-2009, 11:57 AM
not to anger you more, but at least my dealership paid for the gap insurance. They tried to get an additional 3K above sticker price at first. I really hate the dealerships in the tristate area here in NY. I thought we are in a recession. I guess sooner or later these crooks will either have to become honest or go out of business if things continue the way it is going.

either way the gap insurance is definitely a must in my opinion. If the car gets totaled and the car was worth less than what is owed to the bank, the gap insurance covers the difference. I think that is one insurance you can not do with out. I would definitely hate myself if I was still paying a car payments for a car I did not have anymore!!

Old 04-06-2009, 12:03 PM
also, you have until 6 months or 6 K miles to add the extended warranty as well. They are slick on how they sell you the warranty. They bring it up when you are working with their financial people working out the payments. what save me was that I was not in the market for a car at all and my old car kepted leaving me stranded. So I just went across the street from my mechanic to see what is the cheapest thing I can get.
got a base fit 2009 storm silver fit. couldnt afford anything else. made no sense on the used cars. they qouted me 12K for a 2005 low mile camery. for a couple thousand more I got a brand new car. I can not be without a car for not even a day. So I bit the bullet. Now I started buying the factory oem stuff that I really wanted from collegehillshonda or bernardi parts and adding it myself. No financing this stuff and comes out cheaper in the long run. I am very happy now with my fit. But would never ever ever go to a tri state dealership again. I will wait and drive even to ohio! If I had to. that's how disgusted I am with these dealerships. difinitely know to really do my homework the next time!!!

Quick Reply: Warranty 8 year 120k for $930?