2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

hood scoops anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 07:13 PM
5 Year Member
hood scoops anyone?

Anyone planing on hood scoops for these fancy CAI that use the stock air scoop thing? It would be nice too see a functionable hood scoop.

I am thinking placing a scoop more near the front and switching out the stock air-flow-tube-scoop-thing to something that would introduce a higher volume of air.

My reasoning (I have zero education in this things) for the scoop to be near the front and not directly on the top of the intake was that I was worried that during the summer months that hot (like 90 degrees) air would directly go into the intake. Maybe the the extra 1.5 ft will cool the air down? or is this dumb or just whole idea?

(is functionable a real word?)

Old 03-22-2009, 07:38 PM
Lol it would be pronounced "functional".

And hood scoops...... :/ ........ If the car didn't come with it factory, then more than likely it'll look kinda ricey

Old 03-22-2009, 08:11 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 1FiTpINOY
Lol it would be pronounced "functional".

And hood scoops...... :/ ........ If the car didn't come with it factory, then more than likely it'll look kinda ricey
ah, but it would not be ricey, bc it would actually be functional. it doesnt have to be ginormous and could maybe fit in with the rest of the hood nicely.

Old 03-22-2009, 09:32 PM
5 Year Member
You're talking about some sort of ram-air system, where the hood scoop channels air to the intake, presumably at an increased pressure with increased velocity? Or are you just meaning a scoop that allows air into the engine compartment? The second exists, but I don't know that anyone's attempted a ram-air intake on the Fit.

Old 03-22-2009, 09:34 PM
No, please for the love of god or for the love of your fit, wife, kids, anything! Please no!

You want ram style, get a cai and stick it where it gets direct air!

Old 03-22-2009, 11:04 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by DagerOne
where the hood scoop channels more air to the intake, presumably at an increased pressure with increased velocity?
yes! those are the words i am looking for! not sure about the 'ram-air system' part tho. never actually understood what 'ram' meant in the short ram intake. (I know that sri's are basically a filter with a short tube (in a 'warmish' spot of the engine) and a cai is basically a filter in a spot with easy access to air with a longer tube to 'chill' it)

(pls note all the quotations)

Originally Posted by AP_ONE

You want ram style, get a cai and stick it where it gets direct air!
i thought all the intakes from the link were technically CAI, because of the stock-tube-scoopy-thing... or did i completely misread it?

found these pics of the prm cai post #12 its in the same spot!

Last edited by cab0053; 03-22-2009 at 11:13 PM.
Old 03-23-2009, 12:38 AM
5 Year Member
if your gonna do a ram air intake with the stock air scoop i would suggest a naca duct.

Big Picture: Small Naca Duct, Single Hose

for visual reference

Old 03-23-2009, 09:17 AM
and there is still a big diff from cold air intake to a ram air. The cold air will dram in air from a cooler location in the engine bay while the ram air when done propely will force feed the air into the motor. A ram air set up will always yeild more gains if the cars ecu can compensate for this. But a hood scoop imo (only) isnt for the fit lol. But you can always get say the new prm intake which is ocated to behind the battery then you could some tubing up to its opening if yould like almost making it like a ram airt without a ugly scoop.

Old 03-23-2009, 09:25 AM
You can do a hood scoop, make sure you buy the Z3 BMW fender vents and a big spoiler for the rear from Autozone while you are at it.

Old 03-23-2009, 11:56 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
hahaha, functionable hood scoop on a NA fit would win a
'grain' award. hahaha jk

Old 03-23-2009, 03:48 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by AP_ONE
and there is still a big diff from cold air intake to a ram air. The cold air will dram in air from a cooler location in the engine bay while the ram air when done propely will force feed the air into the motor. A ram air set up will always yeild more gains if the cars ecu can compensate for this. But a hood scoop imo (only) isnt for the fit lol. But you can always get say the new prm intake which is ocated to behind the battery then you could some tubing up to its opening if yould like almost making it like a ram airt without a ugly scoop.
from the stock-air-tube-thingy? and if the (ugly) scoop would ram more air to the said prm intake, would this theoretically increase power? that is all I really want to know.

thanks for clearing up the difference between sri and cai

Originally Posted by mikejet
You can do a hood scoop, make sure you buy the Z3 BMW fender vents and a big spoiler for the rear from Autozone while you are at it.
Thank you so much for this advice, it adds a lot to my learning of modding vehicles, and i greatly appreciate you and your value to this thread and to the rest of the forum.

Originally Posted by kenchan
hahaha, functionable hood scoop on a NA fit would win a
'grain' award. hahaha jk
I think it would be fun to explore all the possibilities for power gains w/o going FI.

(i don't know what a 'grain' award is...)

Old 03-23-2009, 03:51 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by victorSCP
if your gonna do a ram air intake with the stock air scoop i would suggest a naca duct.

Big Picture: Small Naca Duct, Single Hose

for visual reference
hmmm more possibilities....

Old 04-14-2010, 08:20 PM
5 Year Member
My car will soon be flamed and laughed at.... I have intentions of putting one or two NACA ducts on my hood to ram feed air from outside of the hood into the intake, interior and possibly an inter cooler.

Old 04-14-2010, 08:57 PM
5 Year Member
i say, screw the hood scoop n just get rogue to make us a cowl scoop already.