2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Ipod via USB controls

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 04:47 PM
Ipod via USB controls

Hello,

I have a '09 Fit Sport (non-navi) and I use my 120gb Ipod with the USB cable. Besides not being able to scroll fast enough (it takes almost 5 minutes to scroll through all my artists) once I select an artist, and want to change artists, I have to start at the "A's" again!!

The manual says you can hit the ^ button when browsing to go back to the previous display of artists/albums, but is there anyway to do this when you've already started listening to the song?

Let's say I pick a White Stripes album. Is there anyway to navigate back to the W's without scrolling all the way there from the beginning?

Old 01-10-2009, 09:36 PM
I don't think so, its been bugging me for ages.

Old 01-10-2009, 10:24 PM
5 Year Member
Unfortunately it is a problem with the firmware. I have a mere 80 gig and getting to Wilco is a bitch.

Old 01-12-2009, 12:15 AM
5 Year Member
At least all your ipods work. My old school 6gig ipod mini is too old to work using the usb connection; I have to use the aux input and run a cable to my headphone jack to work. Finally time to upgrade ipods I guess...

I just got the car today though, finally! Woot!

Old 01-12-2009, 09:52 AM
I wonder if Honda will release a new firmware? And if it's even possible to upgrade our systems via firmware?

Old 01-13-2009, 04:09 AM
Originally Posted by SomberResplendence
I wonder if Honda will release a new firmware? And if it's even possible to upgrade our systems via firmware?
I hope so.

In the meantime, cheat.

What I have resorted to is creating folders in my "Playlists" on iTunes on my computer: artists from A-D, E-G, etc. That way, I'll only have to scroll Playlists (saves some time...but not a lot). I think I picked up that tip on this site on another thread!

Old 01-13-2009, 11:10 AM
Originally Posted by L.B.
I hope so.

In the meantime, cheat.

What I have resorted to is creating folders in my "Playlists" on iTunes on my computer: artists from A-D, E-G, etc. That way, I'll only have to scroll Playlists (saves some time...but not a lot). I think I picked up that tip on this site on another thread!
Neat trick. You can create smart playlist with ANY artist starts with A, starts with B, etc. to create the A-D playlist. Then E-G etc.

Old 01-19-2009, 05:37 PM
Originally Posted by pharmpk
Neat trick. You can create smart playlist with ANY artist starts with A, starts with B, etc. to create the A-D playlist. Then E-G etc.

Yes but it only organizes by song, not artist name... My only complaint with the car is how counter-intuitive the ipod controls are

Old 01-19-2009, 07:02 PM
5 Year Member
You should see me struggle with my 32gb flash drive...I gave up and just hit random. My "solution" was to get an iPod and plug it into the AUX jack, then just use the iPod to navigate. I could make some playlists to make it easier to get more of what I like.

Another concern is sound quality...as far as the Fit inputs go, AUX should sound just as good as USB, right? What about the iPod's outputs? When using USB vs. 1/8"....is each output equally amplified, are they both line-out, or do they differ in some way? This would be a good experiment...

Last edited by reako; 01-19-2009 at 07:10 PM.
Old 01-19-2009, 07:13 PM
I'm actually thrilled with the Fit's ipod controls. It's not perfect, but in my last car I had a $300 Alpine HU plus a $100 ipod adapter box and it was far worse than what we're getting in the Fit. I don't know what's out there right now in terms of aftermarket HUs, but I'm sure it costs $$ for good ipod integration, and I'm more than happy with the Fit's method.

Personally, I would find a way to build playlists, limit the music I carry and organize it better instead. Maybe get a nano or something just for the car. I only use my ipod in the car and really have no use for toting around my entire 40 gig library, JUST IN CASE! I rotate maybe 20 bands I'm currently interested in, or make playlists based on genre for songs I like.

Old 01-21-2009, 11:23 AM
Originally Posted by bluebledthesea
I'm actually thrilled with the Fit's ipod controls. It's not perfect, but in my last car I had a $300 Alpine HU plus a $100 ipod adapter box and it was far worse than what we're getting in the Fit. I don't know what's out there right now in terms of aftermarket HUs, but I'm sure it costs $$ for good ipod integration, and I'm more than happy with the Fit's method.

Personally, I would find a way to build playlists, limit the music I carry and organize it better instead. Maybe get a nano or something just for the car. I only use my ipod in the car and really have no use for toting around my entire 40 gig library, JUST IN CASE! I rotate maybe 20 bands I'm currently interested in, or make playlists based on genre for songs I like.
There isn't anything wrong with the way it's setup, my only complaint is how long it takes to scroll.. If you turn the wheel fast it should scroll fast (like an ipod).

I like having my whole library with me, the playlists method isn't a viable solution.

Old 01-21-2009, 11:39 AM
i have a question about the ipod usb. when its connected it gets charged at the same time. is that going to be a problem later down the road. like overcharging the ipod and such?? i have been wondering this for a couple months now.

thanks

Old 01-21-2009, 11:45 AM
Originally Posted by reako
Another concern is sound quality...as far as the Fit inputs go, AUX should sound just as good as USB, right? What about the iPod's outputs? When using USB vs. 1/8"....is each output equally amplified, are they both line-out, or do they differ in some way? This would be a good experiment...
Audio from the dock connector (the 32 pin jack that you plug into a USB port) is a line-level output. The 1/8" jack, however, is amplified or else you'd barely hear anything through your headphones.

Old 01-21-2009, 11:47 AM
Originally Posted by Dakid
i have a question about the ipod usb. when its connected it gets charged at the same time. is that going to be a problem later down the road. like overcharging the ipod and such?? i have been wondering this for a couple months now.

thanks
The USB connection provides power only. The charging circuitry is built into the iPod itself so even if you leave it plugged in all the time, the battery won't be over charged.

Old 01-21-2009, 11:50 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by spanz
There isn't anything wrong with the way it's setup, my only complaint is how long it takes to scroll.. If you turn the wheel fast it should scroll fast (like an ipod).

I like having my whole library with me, the playlists method isn't a viable solution.
This and the ability to hit the menu button(top button) and revert back to the previous menu you were in--artist that is playing now, etc.

Old 01-21-2009, 12:05 PM
Originally Posted by spanz

I know, I can't tell you what's right for you, and I know it's not perfect. Actually, what I would like is if the display cycled through all of the information for the current song - Artist, Album and Title - instead of showing one at a time and having to push a button. I really don't know why that feature would be neglected. I have a bad habit of listening to entire albums on my ipod and never bothering to learn the names of the tracks. This would help me out.

As far as I could tell, every twist, or about half a twist realistically, of the scroll knob moved roughly 5 artists ahead.

Old 01-21-2009, 12:16 PM
Is the iPod usage situation any better on the navigation equipped Fit? I figured that with the touchscreen, this slow-scrolling issue would not be present.

Old 01-21-2009, 12:36 PM
i'ved tried with another brand of Mp3 player(sansa) and it does'nt work,but tried with juste a USB key,and it works really well.No need to spend a few hundred $$ on a ipod for me!10$ and i'm in business!!!

Old 01-21-2009, 02:14 PM
Originally Posted by Honoo Flammen
The USB connection provides power only. The charging circuitry is built into the iPod itself so even if you leave it plugged in all the time, the battery won't be over charged.
thanks for clearing that up for me.

Old 01-21-2009, 03:00 PM
Originally Posted by DonkeyKong
Is the iPod usage situation any better on the navigation equipped Fit? I figured that with the touchscreen, this slow-scrolling issue would not be present.
There's actual iPod menu for the Navi. I can select to play by playlist, artist, album, song name, etc. Not much scrolling except scrolling through all the albums you have because it only displays 6 per screen.

Quick Reply: Ipod via USB controls