2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Dealer damaged my 3 day old car

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 06:18 PM
Dealer damaged my 3 day old car

After having my 2009 Honda Fit Sport for 3 days I had the dealer (23 Honda in Pompton Plains, NJ) install All Season Mats. Instead of cutting slits in the carpet to attach the anchors they cut out squares the entire dimension of the anchor and now the anchors just lift up with the mats. After speaking to service and sales they offered to replace the carpet, or give my about $260 the cost of the carpet, less install, however I do not have much confidence in their ability to complete such an involved repair in light of this experience. I did not want to concede to owning a 3 day old car with this type of repair. I called American Honda Co., Inc. and they told me that dealers are franchises and that American Honda Co., Inc. could not help me. I also have door sill trim and a rear bumper applique waiting at the dealership that they've already been paid to install.
Here are my options:
1. Allow them to replace the carpet and install my door sill trim and rear bumper applique.
2. Accept $260 and allow them to install my door sill trim and rear bumper applique.
3. Accept $260 and request compensation for the installation of the door sill trim and rear bumper applique and have them installed elsewhere or do it myself.
What would you do?

Last edited by jaybirdtke; 01-09-2009 at 06:38 PM.
Old 01-09-2009, 06:38 PM
5 Year Member
Sorry about your problem. I really don't trust dealers to do anything on my car which is why I bought the accessories and install them my self (carpet, rear applique, and the edge protector). If it were me I would have them replace the carpet but make sure they don't scratch any of the interior pieces when they do it. Most of the mechanics that work at any dealer don't care about the car unless specifically told to be careful with it. That's my experience at least.

Old 01-09-2009, 06:38 PM
I would have them do it... if they know they messed up once they might get one of there pro's to do it (if they have any hah)... you bought the car and didn't lease it right?... if you did they will most likely have to keep doing it over untill its done right.

Old 01-09-2009, 06:41 PM
I purchased the car and paid in full with a trade in and charged a credit card the difference. I was told the installer who made the mistake would be charged the repair costs and have to replace the carpet for free. I don't think I want a disappointed and possibly disgruntled serviceman working on my car.

Old 01-09-2009, 06:45 PM
5 Year Member
I'd have them or someone else replace the carpet at the dealer's expense and install the bumper applique and door sill trim myself. The trim and applique are simple to install, just line them up, peel the tape and stick 'em.

Old 01-09-2009, 07:51 PM
Cat
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
Sorry to hear you had the problem on your new car - that has to be disappointing. My dealership did a great job with my mats, cargo cover and my chome exhaust tip but then I took the car to a local tuner shop to do my Mugen window vents, racing pedals and door sills. They did a great job and I did not have to worry about any problems even though all the instructions were in Japanese. I always believe in giving people a 2nd chance so maybe they will try harder to make it right.

Cat :x

Old 01-09-2009, 08:39 PM
Yeah, it sucks and all but atleast your car won't show any true depriciation. My 09 Fit is worth $7K after some moron flipped her truck on my hood while I was sitting at a red light. No one will ever know anything happened. Go over the work and if they screw anything up have them order those parts, too. Think you could have another dealer do the install on the carpet, too?

Old 01-09-2009, 09:03 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jaybirdtke
I was told the installer who made the mistake would be charged the repair costs and have to replace the carpet for free. I don't think I want a disappointed and possibly disgruntled serviceman working on my car.
Yeah, I don't think they should have said that, nor do I think the poor guy should be actually docked pay because of this (the dealership as a whole should eat the cost, I'm sure they have a budget for this type of stuff), and honestly I'm not entirely convinced whoever told you that was certain of what he/she was telling you. I would be sure you're speaking with upper management when discussing anything involved with the issue.. I guess I'm just imagining a young installer doing this for the first time on his own or something...

I would have them replace the carpet, and install the other dealer items. I really would voice each of your concerns, including your concern about the disgruntled serviceman.

Last edited by reako; 01-09-2009 at 09:06 PM.
Old 01-09-2009, 09:20 PM
If the guy is incompetant he should be fired, not docked pay.

Old 01-09-2009, 10:24 PM
Thanks for the input. If I was sure the carpet replacement would be done right I would go with reako's advice. But I'm skeptical and I don't want to make things worse by having them do a bad job replacing it. I am considering cutting my losses, accepting the $260 and asking them to add $50 for the unsuccessful installation of the mats, then try to patch the carpet and live with the imperfection, after all, it would be concealed under the mat anyway. What do you think?

Old 01-09-2009, 10:44 PM
what i think is take the cash and say never go back there again, if they cant handle installing mats i wouldnt trust them with say a brake job or something that can kill you if they make a mistake. if you have a friend that is fairly mechanically inclined you could ask him to help or buy him a case of beer for his troubles! all you have to do is take the front and rear seats out and the center console and tuck it all under the interior panels. dont forget to add floor glue or else it'll lift up :P if you ever need a warrenty replacement or just something breaks take it to a different honda dealership or something close, most honda dealerships will do warrenty no matter where you bought it because the warrenty is approved from honda america anyways and not the dealership. the dealership just works for them :P

Old 01-09-2009, 11:15 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks for the input. If I was sure the carpet replacement would be done right I would go with reako's advice. But I'm skeptical and I don't want to make things worse by having them do a bad job replacing it. I am considering cutting my losses, accepting the $260 and asking them to add $50 for the unsuccessful installation of the mats, then try to patch the carpet and live with the imperfection, after all, it would be concealed under the mat anyway. What do you think?
That sounds really sensible to me. If you take your time, I bet you could do a very successful patch job.

Old 01-09-2009, 11:36 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Virtual
That sounds really sensible to me. If you take your time, I bet you could do a very successful patch job.
Yep, just be sure those floor mats don't move on ya', that can really be dangerous! I hope these issues don't put too much of a damper on enjoying your new Fit! I would use that as an excuse to do a little something extra on top of the dealer options! Congrats again, and enjoy!

Last edited by reako; 01-09-2009 at 11:39 PM.
Old 01-10-2009, 12:09 AM
What do you think a Honda dealer would charge in labor to replace the carpet?
Here are my thoughts. I tell the dealer that I am not comfortable with their service department and I want to go elsewhere. I feel I am entitled to:
$50 Refund on unsuccessful floor mat install
$40 Refund on door sill trim install (paid for but not yet installed)
$30 Refund on bumper appliqué install (paid for but not yet installed)
$400 MSRP on carpet that they damaged
$100 Estimate of cost to have another dealer install the carpet
$620 TOTAL
I figured I could start with a $620 request and see what they say.

Old 01-10-2009, 12:39 AM
5 Year Member
$100 Estimate of cost to have another dealer install the carpet
Ask at another dealer for an exact price for the labor.

Old 01-10-2009, 12:50 AM
5 Year Member
When I negotiated my carpet floor mats into my deal the dealer asked "Do you want us to install them? I laughed thinking it was a two second job only to be sitting there a few days later with an exacto knife in my hand. I was nervous as hell cutting into that carpet but I must of spent an hour reading, measuring and slowly cutting to make sure I didn't do something stupid.

Sorry to hear your car got wrecked but I would still have the dealer or a dealer fix it. They are on the hook for it and if you can't use them for this your three year warranty might as well be non existent. Good luck

Old 01-10-2009, 02:03 AM
5 Year Member
If you want new carpet I would NOT allow this dealership replace it as they will most likely use the same guy who messed up the install in the first place.

However, I would not judge the whole service department because of this. They likely used one of their amatures to do it thinking that it is such a simple job.

I own three cars (03 Marauder, 08 Sable, and 09 Fit) and I do almost all the work on them myself because dealers and their machanics could care less about our cars. They just want to get the job done as soon as possible to increase their workload and hence profit. When I do something, the work is better and cleaner than new.

All I have to say about the floor mat install is that while I don't take engines and transmissions completely apart I still do many things myself (from timing belts/ chains, water pumps, all fluids, spark plugs, all filters, ac work, basic mods etc) and yet installing these mats where a PITA. I was shocked when I opened the box and actually needed to look at the directions.

All my other cars have a built in hook already attached to the carpet so there was never a need to cut the carpet on my own. When it comes to cutting, I measure twice or even three times before I cut. Some dealer techs will cut three times rather than measure.

BTW, I have met some GREAT dealer techs who will run circles around me when it comes to working on cars and really take pride in their work. The problem is, they are usually too far away.

Old 01-10-2009, 08:26 AM
Someone that spends her life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
They cut out the whole piece the same size as the anchor? Instead of cutting out the square on under rubber mat and the slit in the carpet?

You know, just to check, I'd say call or drop by a custom upholstery shop that also does interior carpet work. Here's why...

If you have the carpet replaced, someone has to take out the carpet, and put in the new carpet. And there is the cost of the new carpet.

If you have the carpet professionally repaired, they still have to take out the carpet and put in the repaired carpet. With only the cost of the repair. Which should be less...

AND, I'm thinking they could provide something other than a cut strip of carpet to use for the anchor, like something along the lines of skinny seat belt type material. Some kind of woven, heavy-duty "band" that would be heavily stitched onto the carpet.

And if Honda had been using it's smarts, it would have done exactly that. Sewn on a heavy-duty webbing that the anchor could just wrap around without anyone having to cut into anything.

It wouldn't show or catch, because it would be flat black, way back by the seat forward adjust.

This is an example of webbing:
Webbing: Trimsplus Secure Online Store

It may also be called strapping:
webbing and narrow fabrics at Strapworks.com

I bet that would work AND be stronger than cutting into carpet, using the webbing.

And if possible, take photos of the process of the carpet being fixed as well as the webbing being added.

Anyone who has the carpet mats installed, either kind, gets the cut holes in the carpet. And if/when that carpet tears from the mats trying to shift around, as a regular occurrence of getting in and out of the car and getting settled into position to drive may eventually run across the same problem. With a HUGE rip.

So we too will have to replace our carpet. And I would rather get the carpet from the dealer, then scamper over to a custom upholstery shop and spend a few extra bucks to have a strap sewn on, rather than have HOLES cut in my carpet!!!

Here's a link again to the pdf file of the install instructions for the '09 FIT carpet or all-season mats for those who haven't seen how it's done.
http://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/pubs/AI/AII38930.pdf

Old 01-10-2009, 09:47 AM
UPDATE: I called another honda dealership who quoted me $231.00 to install the carpet. After reworking the numbers, to have my dealership cut me a check to have the work done by another dealer paying MSRP on the carpet + labor to install (the carpet, floor mats, door sills, and bumper applique) + 7% tax, I would need $805.47. The Sales Manager did not want to go that route. He assured me that he will personally take responsibility for the repair and see to it that the person that would be doing the work would know what they're doing and that it would be done professionally. I told him that as long as they guarantee that the work would be done correctly and cleanly that I would allow them to complete the work. So, they're ordering the carpet and they are giving me a loaner car to use while the work is being done. I can only hope that they do a good job.

Old 01-10-2009, 05:06 PM
well at least they arent leaving you out in the rain like alot of shops would, nice to see that the sales manager is going to make sure it's done right. i bet you that they had a detailer who has no mechanical or practical experience do the job in the first place!

Quick Reply: Dealer damaged my 3 day old car